iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

john deere cs56

Started by North collins, December 13, 2006, 12:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North collins

I have a 6 year old JD cs56 that I am told needs over $300.00 worth of work due to scored pistons? melted rings?  The dealer told me that something must have gotten into the engine like sand (how I don't know).  I use it to cut firewood for my house so it has not been beat up, and I have serviced it every year.  Am I out of line thinking that JD should step up to the plate and help with some of the cost for repair.  I bought the JD so that it would last a long time.

JD quotes policy to me and I cannot reach anyone above the call center level to speak with.  Has anyone had this type of experience with the cs56 or with the JD company.  Comments and suggestions requested.

Thanks

beenthere

I've had great experinces with Deere stepping up to the plate where a part broke that was clearly their problem. I suspect what you describe would be pretty difficult to know where the blame lies. Could have been a number of things that led to its demise, as many threads have described on this forum. I suspect any chainsaw mfg would give you the same, or similar, response. It's a bummer, for sure. 
One reason that I don't let anyone else use my saw, because too many unknown things could happen and lead to problems (not implying that you did that, but a saw is a delicate tool in my mind).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Steven A.

6 years old and you want warranty?  Yes I do think that you are asking for more than is reasonable.

sawguy21

I agree. A warrantable problem would have shown up much earlier, usually within the first few weeks. Dirt ingestion due to an improperly maintained filter usually results in scoring on the intake side. Galling on the exhaust side is very often from poor quality oil, improper mix or overheating due to plugged fins or part throttle operation. A bearing or cylinder coating failure can tear up a piston too but that saw, built by Echo, is not noted for these kinds of problems.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 13, 2006, 01:44:09 PM
.... built by Echo, is not noted for these kinds of problems.
That saw shouldn't be built by Echo, as far as I know, but by Emak (Efco, Oleo-Mac) in Italy.
Information collector.

sawguy21

O.K. I thought by the CS prefix it would be an Echo. I know very little about the Efco saws.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 13, 2006, 11:05:57 PM
O.K. I thought by the CS prefix it would be an Echo. I know very little about the Efco saws.

Emak
Information collector.

konrad695

North collins,
I just contacted Efco (Emak) three days ago about a manual for a 15 year old saw.  Low and behold I have a new manual.  They seemed nice and helpful.  You might send them an email and ask them for parts supply or a local contact to work with.  They may be able to give you some different avenues to look down.  Have you thought of trying to fix it yourself?  If it's not useable now, then you have nothing to lose.  Good luck.

twoodward15

North Collins, you from North Collins New York? 
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Thank You Sponsors!