iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb616

Quote from: Magicman on September 10, 2021, 07:17:06 AM
Personally I would say no and move on, that is unless you have a need for twisty 1X6's.  :-X
@Magicman , What about Black Gum?  I have some on my property but never milled it. Is it worth milling, firewood, or ??  thanks in advance. 

pezrock

<bg <b
Never knew Box Elder looked like this. Thanks to you guys telling me what it was. I got 22 nice pieces out of two logs. Now I want more. I don't even want to sell it.

firefighter ontheside

Its box elder, not elm.  It is one of the soft maples.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

pezrock

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 13, 2021, 07:42:20 PM
Its box elder, not elm.  It is one of the soft maples.
Thank you. Corrected

Magicman

Quote from: jb616 on September 13, 2021, 12:00:29 PMWhat about Black Gum?
Black Gum is still spiral grain.  The old woodworkers used it and Tupelo Gum for dough bowls, etc.

I have sawn Black Gum into lumber but I have no idea how it turned out.  Same as with Hickory, Elm, Sweetgum, Sycamore, etc.  I can only advise the customer and if they are determined, I saw it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The spiral grain causes it to cup, warp, and twist badly if flatsawn.  It is more stable if quartersawn, but that takes a big log. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

VB-Milling

Alright, I'm doing it; my first "Whatcha Sawin' 2021" post that isn't chain saw milled! 8)

HM126

Magicman

Now that would bring a smile even to ole Scrooge's face.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I'll take your word for that. :D :D

Nice wood!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

That is nice ERC.  I sure am drooling right now.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

firefighter ontheside

A buddy brought some cedar logs to mill a few days ago.  He wanted to make 4" thick slabs to make a bridge over a ditch on his property.  He had some very nice logs as opposed to most of the ones I get that are always rotten on the inside if they are larger than 12" diameter.  He was very happy with what we got.  It seemed like he left with more wood than he came with.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

VB-Milling

That's about what I need to finish off my cut list for the pergola FFOTS. LOL
HM126

forcemac

Tackled a large ash yesterday.

Larry

Real sawmills don't saw no stinkin cookies!  >:( :-[ :-[ :-X

Well I suppose their can be exceptions.  I saw a lot for a resin artist with a big cnc router and engraver.  She showed up with a couple of old white oak logs.  The first went into live edge charcuterie stock but she wanted cookies out of the second.  These were all around 25" diameter.  Got another pallet of bigger cookies that I had to cut with the chainsaw.  It will be interesting to see what she makes.  Hope she doesn't want anymore cookies!!!!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Brad_bb

Milling the last of my BIG walnut logs.  20' long, 32" at the base.  Two big branches that came out pointing up.  It's pretty much clear on the other 3 faces.  So this will be good for a 10x10 post, but not a beam.  Actually I make make this a gunstock post as there is plenty of meat at the base, to match one I made a couple years ago.  I'll also get a number of 4" thick brace stock pieces from the sidewood.

As I made these cuts the wind died down to zero so I started burning my beam planer chips.  Took 4 hours to burn it all from the totally full 4x4x8 collection box.  Pic doesn't do justice to the scene with the moon rising behind.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

Rafters and loft planking for a small barn.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

I wanted to run a test log to check out some blades so I cut this 8' log off a 34' stock poplar log and just sawed it into 2X4s for stock.

All went well and with 30 more minutes on the engine I had 14 pretty 2X4s and 3 - 1X14s (83 bf). I am now loaded up for a 2 log job 35 miles away tomorrow then a pretty good day's work about 15 miles away. After than I have a 1-2 day job about 60 miles away and several days work on another at 2 sites but no helper. Hopefully within 3 weeks I'll be dug out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

I went and loaded up some walnut logs that I'm buying from a buddy.  He rented a big off road lift so he could cut down a few trees in his mom's yard.  He offered them for free, but i gave him some money to help offset the cost of the lift.  I couldn't load up the biggest today.  It was 32" at the butt end and about 28" at the other end of the 14' log.  Log weight calculator says it weighs 3500 lbs.  I will have to cut it in half to be able to load it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

My morning didn't yield much but it was mostly getting ready for Thursday.

The first order of business was to buck a 10' log from this 22" butt Hurricane Ida felled Water Oak.

The Stihl MS362 e/w a 24" bar did it's job so the customer

Skidded it a short distance to the sawmill.

It squared up fairly nicely and

Yielded 158bf of fairly nice lumber e/w some spalt on the butt end.  I billed 2 hours ($150) for the bucking and sawing.

This is a portion of the ~2Mbf of logs that we will begin sawing Thursday into framing lumber.

They had been skidded over a mile and produced a flatten drag spot over 12" wide.  Looks like 'Lemons' to me so I will make 'Lemonade'.

WV Sawmiller

I drove 35 miles to saw these 2 White Oak logs. An 8' flattened 2 sides and an 11' on the end. The customer evidently did not understand they needed to be lined up side to side vs end to end. ::) Oh well, it was a minimum rate job anyway. I sawed several of the chainsawed slabs and got some short 8/4 and 5/4 boards for the customer. Then I sawed some crotch cookies and even squared up a firewood chunk for a stool. I even sawed a couple of firewood pieces into 6/4 square stock for future bench legs. I think the customer will bring them over and I'll make him a couple of LE benches. Sort of like playing with the mill but getting paid to do it. All that playing at home paid off with this kind of job. Also the MagicHook got a good workout rolling that big flat log. Then I spun the tongue of the mill a little and dragged the 11' log down till we could load and saw it. Lots of 12" wide 4/4 boards. 2.5 hours on the mill. 1.9 engine hours about 5 hours on site and a very happy customer.

Boards up to 16" wide, cookies, cut-off, etc in his truck to be taken a few hundred feet for stacking.

Mostly 12" wide 4/4 WO boards from the 11' log.

I like sawing jobs like this. I hit one nail and it was parallel to the log. 1/8" higher or lower and I'd have missed it. The customer had no complaints paying for the blade. How lucky can you get! It is fun when you have a good customer who appreciates the work and results.  

While I'm loaded up I have another long days work scheduled for the morning.
Howard Green

richhiway

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 27, 2021, 08:14:13 PM

I drove 35 miles to saw these 2 White Oak logs. An 8' flattened 2 sides and an 11' on the end. The customer evidently did not understand they needed to be lined up side to side vs end to end. ::) Oh well, it was a minimum rate job anyway. I sawed several of the chainsawed slabs and got some short 8/4 and 5/4 boards for the customer. Then I sawed some crotch cookies and even squared up a firewood chunk for a stool. I even sawed a couple of firewood pieces into 6/4 square stock for future bench legs. I think the customer will bring them over and I'll make him a couple of LE benches. Sort of like playing with the mill but getting paid to do it. All that playing at home paid off with this kind of job. Also the MagicHook got a good workout rolling that big flat log. Then I spun the tongue of the mill a little and dragged the 11' log down till we could load and saw it. Lots of 12" wide 4/4 boards. 2.5 hours on the mill. 1.9 engine hours about 5 hours on site and a very happy customer.

Boards up to 16" wide, cookies, cut-off, etc in his truck to be taken a few hundred feet for stacking.

Mostly 12" wide 4/4 WO boards from the 11' log.

I like sawing jobs like this. I hit one nail and it was parallel to the log. 1/8" higher or lower and I'd have missed it. The customer had no complaints paying for the blade. How lucky can you get! It is fun when you have a good customer who appreciates the work and results.  

While I'm loaded up I have another long days work scheduled for the morning.
Howard,  nice work.  I think you are getting as busy as M.M.
Be good,
Rich
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

Except MM is slowing down with his sawing. 

Only 14 names in my Schedule Book which is down from 39 in June.  ;D

VB-Milling

Quote from: Magicman on September 28, 2021, 09:47:40 AM
Except MM is slowing down with his sawing.  

Only 14 names in my Schedule Book which is down from 39 in June.  ;D
You are a man of your word...you did say you were going to slow down.  Good for you.
HM126

doc henderson

I sawed up the ugly old maple stump, after splitting it in half with the 880, a 5 foot bar, and skip chain.  I made the thin coaster stock 18 inches wide and 24 inches long, 1/4 inch thick.  i had left some quarters laying and today I sawed them into 1 inch thick really ugly boards to cut to sticker length and then rip 3/4 on the table saw for future stickers.  had not run the saw for a while, was good to hear it talk to me when I push quickly through the left over stuff.  warm but got a fire going in the @Brad_bb inspired turbo burn barrel

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

A long hard but productive day. We sawed everything in the picture and even 4 quarters off the big RO in the background. I actually had 3 customers involved. First was 182 bf of poplar (2 logs) sawed into 2X4 & 2X6's), next was about 15 RO/WO 8' & 10' logs. A few 2X4s and mostly 4/4. 1540 bf for him. Then 3 large lightning struck poplar logs - 2-5' long and one 8'. Sawed them into 1/2 LE 8/4. Lots of season and other cracking with big end splits before I ever sawed them but the customer expected the damage and was very happy with the results. 530 bf for him. 8.3 engine hours on the mill and even had to stop and refill the gas tank once. I had the MMs luck on helpers for a change with a pretty, hard working young lady in a sleeveless tank top and sports bra stacking all day. She worked hard and asked lots of good questions and was happy to learn about the mill and sawing. I deserve a little good luck once in a while.

8' dead stacked on the forks. Note cracks.
 8' dead stacked poplar on the forks. Note the splits. These were 23" wide, I even had to debark one edge to get the blade to pass. First time I have succeeded in cheating the log and sawing 26-28 inch diameter. It was a good day.

5' 8/4 one side LE poplar. Flat stacked while the owner took the other load home on his tractor.

4/4 Oak boards. There is a stack of 2X4 behind this stack I Forgot to photograph. It was right at dark and I was rushing. Also did not get a picture of the poplar 2X4's and 2X6's as the customer loaded them on his trailer as cut, paid and left before I thought about a picture.

4/oak boards. Grainy picture of my lady off-bearer, Heidi, in the background. Total 2252 bf and 12 hours from start to finish.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!