iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Quickstop Plus Inconvenience?

Started by beeser, February 03, 2019, 10:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeser

The Stihl Quickstop Plus engages the chain brake if the throttle lockout lever on the handle is not depressed.  In other words if you take your hand off the handle the chain brake is locked.  This seems to be an inconvenience when sharpening the chain in that it can't be moved unless one hand is one the handle.  Is this correct?

realzed

Did you in fact return the 'Q' model that you originally got from your dealer and get the regular C-M replacement you ordered n return?
Figured you already had come to the conclusion that the 'Q' version wasn't suitable or necessary for your use?
I assume - never having owned, used, or even seen one except in pictures - that it is a model that has dubious benefits, chain sharpening awkwardness, possibly being just another reason on top of price and weight issues, and the extra complexity of the controls as you previously noted..
If you are still waiting for the second saw to show up and rethinking it all because of your dealer is stalling on this - I fall in with others that previously advised that perhaps it would be advisable to ask for your money back and find another dealer who would listen to your wishes and happily take advantage of your wish to become a paying customer. IMHO  

wild262

Quote from: beeser on February 03, 2019, 10:01:45 AM
The Stihl Quickstop Plus engages the chain brake if the throttle lockout lever on the handle is not depressed.  In other words if you take your hand off the handle the chain brake is locked.  This seems to be an inconvenience when sharpening the chain in that it can't be moved unless one hand is one the handle.  Is this correct?
The whole design in general is a "inconvenience" if you ask me. ::)

beeser

Quote from: realzed on February 03, 2019, 10:39:01 AM
Did you in fact return the 'Q' model that you originally got from your dealer and get the regular C-M replacement you ordered n return?
Figured you already had come to the conclusion that the 'Q' version wasn't suitable or necessary for your use?
I assume - never having owned, used, or even seen one except in pictures - that it is a model that has dubious benefits, chain sharpening awkwardness, possibly being just another reason on top of price and weight issues, and the extra complexity of the controls as you previously noted..
If you are still waiting for the second saw to show up and rethinking it all because of your dealer is stalling on this - I fall in with others that previously advised that perhaps it would be advisable to ask for your money back and find another dealer who would listen to your wishes and happily take advantage of your wish to become a paying customer. IMHO  
Yes, the 'Q' model was returned and the less complicated MS 261C-M was reordered.  I decided to give the dealer another chance to get it right primarily because of our remote location and the nearest distance to another dealer.  The reason for asking the question about the Quickstop Plus is purely out of curiosity.  While attempting to confirm that I had in fact received the 'Q' version earlier the side cover was removed to see the breaking components.  That's when I realized that to advance the chain as when sharpening it the lever on the handle has to be fully depressed.  That seemed to be another one of the 'Q' version's inconvenient features.  I have no regrets in not selecting a saw with it.

Tom King

I hadn't even thought about that.  The  Q  must have been someone's idea that didn't use saws much.

realzed

OR Tom - someone's idea of a saw perfect for someone who just drops on a new chain every time the old one gets too dull to use - verses breaking out the file and fixing the problem..  :D

Thank You Sponsors!