iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Granberg-Type Grinding Stones

Started by Grandedog, September 15, 2015, 05:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandedog

Howdy,
I'm looking for some folks to test some stones. I have a supply of 4 each of 3 different sized of stones. So we need 12 people total. 4 for 7/32", 4 for 3/16", and 4 for 5/32". We're mainly looking for high usage people that will have quick results. So if you're interested, send me an e-mail or a PM with your mailing address.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

justallan1

Gregg, although I don't use my saws enough to give any quick opinions on a new product if that's what this is, I have a match-book type package of stones from Granberg that I dug out of a yard sale toolbox and think they are great. They are the white stones and I generally sharpen a few chains at the house with them using my Dremel and do touch-ups by hand while working. I should add that I have no clue as to how old these are, but I think they are great.

Kbeitz

I might test them out.
I sharpen many saws for the Christmas tree farms.
I now use the Dremel Diamond Chainsaw Sharpener Burr Stones.
They work well but are slow to cut.
Will your stones fit a Dremel ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Grandedog

Howdy,
These are threaded on the end to go into the Granberg grinder but, they have an 1/8" shaft. So as long as your Dremel has a 1/8" collet, or the adjustable chuck, they should work great. I'm calling these stones for lack of a better word. What I'm doing is trying to get the best of both worlds. Most of the stones out there are of a vitrified abrasive that is epoxied onto the metal center shaft. They are aggressive but, lose their diameter quickly causing the need for adjustment, or ending up with an inferior sharpening. There are solid metal shafts with a diamond coating. They work well with carbide tipped chains but, often load up quickly when sharpening standard chain. This makes it to where you're rubbing the chain more than grinding it. These stones I have are solid metal with an ABN coating like they put on bench mounted grinder wheels. I've tried them myself but, I would like to get wide variety of user opinions. So, anybody interested just contact me and I'll send you some.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212

Kbeitz

OK .... Sorry I took so long to post...
I got my samples for my Dremel and I have been using the heck out of the coarse stone.
I was going to post my results after it was worn out.
The way its going I think that might be next year.
I've been doing a lot of saw sharpening and this thing just keeps going.
It's fast so the tooth doesn't get hot. I don't take off much at a time. I like to keep them sharp.
I don't know if I would ever need the fine Grinding Stones unless I was doing Competition.
The coarse stone does it all for me. I was getting my stones off E-bay but they don't last very long
and they cut slow. So I rate the coarse stone a 9 from 1 to 10.
If it was about 1/2" longer the rating would be a big 10.
Could you post the part number for the 3/16 coarse stone ?

Thanks for letting me try these out. I will be looking to buy some more.
Thanks again.
Kevin
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Grandedog

Howdy Kevin,
   From my testing, the way these things hold up people will be buying replacement grinders for their stones. We're still in the testing phase so, they're not for sale yet. The way it looks, they'll be retailing for about the $17-$20 range. You mentioned them being longer would be a bonus. Whenever you get a chance, if you could explain what the advantage would be.
Thanks again for your time!
Regards
Gregg

P.S.  Who knows, I might have gave you a lifetime supply.
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC

kameljoe21

I also use a the crappy stones to sharpen my saws as well, the ones you speak of would be great

as for it being longer, I would have to agree with the other guy

when you free hand it, its nice to have a longer stone so if you move your hand enough it wont slip out

Kbeitz

Yep... Longer is better...
I oscillate my dermal back and forth. The diamond bits I bought from E-bay was just easer to use.
I had to be very careful not to oscillate to far and come out of the cut.
1-1/2" would be my perfect bit.
Let use all know when you have some for sale.

Thanks again.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Sawmill Man

I too was going to report back after the coating was worn off but looks like it might be awhile. So far they will outlast several files. The stones like these I tried years ago would not outlast a single file before the coating wore off. I am impressed with them and will buy them when they become available.
                                                                                                           David
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

ksks

So, are these improvements on what Granberg sells?

Available?
Striving to be average!

Thank You Sponsors!