Sponsors:

Axe throwing

Started by Raider Bill, April 12, 2018, 09:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

samandothers

6 people per target with axes.  Could be interesting.  Wonder if they have a medic in staff. 

Alissa

These places are becoming very popular news stories all over the country, but...those look like hatchets in the photos, not axes...Just saying. It's kinda like having a BB gun and saying you're a big game hunter.   :)  ;D  :laugh:

Savannahdan

At the Wormsloe historic site here in Savannah they have hatchet throwing for the folks to try out.  They even have some small ones for the smaller folks.    It's a great way to learn something about the sport.  I noticed the back boards in the picture appear to be regular lumber.  Am I correct?  Seems they would split and tear apart quickly.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

doc henderson

It is a lot of fun.  We do it at our yearly "Camp Alaska".  over the course of the day, we will coach 400 boy scouts at "tomahawk" throwing.  You can by a scout pack of tomahawks with 6 hawks and 2 extra handles for around a hundred dollars.  for a target we use elm, or cottonwood cookies on a tripod.  Aprox. 7 steps away and let er rip.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Hi Alissa, just got my double bit razor throwing ax.  Not sharp on the points, the handle fit is not perfect, but see in the pics that is how they do it.  any thoughts.  do you need to sharpen points out of the box?  
will be using this weekend.  I will reach out to precision as well
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

got email from Sherri.  not to sharp for safety to ship but usually sticks good in wood target, and can be sharpened as needed.  axes designed to take a lot of abuse, common to shatter a handle if rotation is off.  Nice people at precision axes and sponsor of the axe women

Jeff

I doubt if Alissa has anything to do with, or knows anything about the business of selling the axes. She just knows where she gets them. Be kinda like asking her about your logrite canthook.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

yep, I get it.  I was just curious if they sharpen their throwing axes or use them as is.  Sherri at Precision was very helpful.  thanks.

Alissa

Hi Doc, 

Glad you communicated with Sherri...the folks at Precision Axe are good people!

As a rule, unless something drastic happens to the blade, we don't sharpen our throwing axes that often. A tiny curl, fold or ding helps them stick in the target! 

Have fun!

- The Axe Women

doc henderson

Thank You Sponsors!