iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Throwing a chain

Started by rank, April 15, 2017, 01:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

i never put a chain on backwards unless someone is there talking then i will just keep on talking and put the chain on backwards at least 1/2 the time ::) :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Stoneyacrefarm

Sign me up for putting bar oil in the gas and vice versa.
Backwards chain hasn't been an issue.
Plenty of pinched bars here too.
It's all part of the daily routine I guess.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Bill Saf on May 03, 2017, 01:35:59 PM
and no one has ever pinched a bar or had the tree sit down on the bar ether because they miss read the lean or the wind come up. I will admit Iv done all of them now Ill go sit in the corner of shame :D :D
Oh shucks I've had two saws stuck in the same tree .It's a good thing I have a lot of saws .

killamplanes

I have noticed with the larger saws when the drive sprocket is wore out it will jump the chain. Its like instead of chain going into sprocket while turning it rides the edge and doesn't stay in bar guide. Maybe it's only been my experience.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Stoneyacrefarm

I haven't jumped the bar.
Most of my problems are loose chains or pinched bars.
Had to laugh about getting two saws stuck in one tree.
After thinking about it I did that once also.
It was on a steep side hill and I tried to drop the tree up hill and it was leaning down hill.
It happened years ago when I was pretty green.
I had a logger helping me clean up my property.
That stuff only happens when you don't want an audience like that.
The logger asked me if I could knock that tree down while he worked in a different area.
I had to go get him and use one of his saws while both of mine were stuck in the tree.
[I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] Happens I guess.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Stoneyacrefarm

Work hard. Be rewarded.

Caloren

Well in the last 45 years I've done it all except oil in the gas tank. Now all this talk about that has me worried about the what the future holds for me!  ::)  :o
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Stoneyacrefarm

I just jumped a chain last night.
I was cutting down a big cherry and hit a rock that was growing inside of the tree.
Caught me totally off guard.   ;D
Work hard. Be rewarded.

fishfighter

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 18, 2017, 05:52:45 AM
I would say anyone that has never thrown a chain has not done much cutting.

I agree100%.  :D

Kbeitz

I once put diesel in a chainsaw... I don't never want to do that again.
I could not get the saw to shut off. It just kept running faster.
Well it looked like mixed gas....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ladylake

Some people on this forum and the sawing never have any problems, wish I was one of them. No matter how tight you have a chain if you hit brush at a angle it will throw a chain.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

:D I anti freezed a weed wacker and dumped mix gas in a radiator .Well back then I used old anti freeze jugs to hold my saw gas,the mix oil was the same color as the anti freeze  .I use gas cans now--for the gas not the anti freeze .--Things happen .

OldJack

I threw the chain on my poor old John Deere 40V several times while scrubbing Caraganas. I haven't thrown a chain on my newer saws, so far.

PNWRusty

Quote from: OldJack on August 20, 2017, 04:03:04 PM
I threw the chain on my poor old John Deere 40V several times while scrubbing Caraganas. I haven't thrown a chain on my newer saws, so far.

Well, some saw/bar/chain setups throw chains easier than others. My Stihl 026 hasn't thrown a chain in over 20 years of primary use. I don't like a chain too tight or too loose but I keep it in a small range (which is slightly on the loose side). But I have tools other than chainsaws for brushing.

luvmexfood

A local auto parts store makes chain. I sometimes buy one occasionally from him along with a few other parts. He always has a few links left from a roll. If I booger up two or three links I can drop it by and he will replace them. Usually a dollar or two. Sometimes it's "on your way back thru town bring me a frosty. "Just have to remember to grind them down to match the others. Much easier than trying to file burrs off links.

I have put bar oil in the gas tank before. Can't remember putting a chain on backwards but did buy a new saw that had the chain on backwards.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!