iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Throwing blades?

Started by crowhill, September 24, 2017, 04:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowhill

I was sawing nicely today, a nice day and my B-20 decided to start throwing the blade off. Belted wheels, belts don't look bad, tracking doesn't look bad, but I got a bit of wiggle in the idler wheel bearings. Almost four years ago same thing happened with steel wheels so replaced the wheels and the bearings. So tomorrow gotta go get a new puller (the one I bought last time took a walk with a bunch of other tools and never came back), new bearings and order a couple sets of 56's. I guess I should be happy my welder walked back home with my chainsaw but I do miss some of my other tools on occasion, and get upset when I have to replace them.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

ladylake

Make sure to check the outside race so its not loose in the wheel, the best fix is to take the wheel and bearing to a machine shop and have them put a steel sleeve in the wheel with tight tolerances for the bearing, That will last a long time.  A loose idler will also cause blades to break too soon. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kbeitz

Loctite Bearing retainer...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

redbeard

Sometimes when in doubt hit it with a hammer! Block of wood and a couple good whacks with my big hammer.  I did this beginning of summer to get me by till a new wheel got shipped.
New wheel is still sitting on my parts shelf, probably thousands of BF later it has not replicated  the original problem. Haven't thrown a band all summer.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

Where did you hit it with a hammer?   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

redbeard

Bearings of idle wheel with a block of wood n hammer.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

crowhill

Think I will just put new bearings in. Ordered today out of Boston to be delivered tomorrow. Bought a new gear puller today to replace the one that walked away with my other tools, so I can pull the idler wheel off. Debating with myself as to going back to original flat wheels or staying with the belted wheels. I think the steel surface stayed cleaner than the belts. Any opinions?
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Thank You Sponsors!