iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sand and Logs Don't Mix

Started by Magicman, August 23, 2013, 10:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bozzaa69

It's hard to bite my tongue here. But sawing with the dog under the mill as well as running him over with a tractor is pretty serious stupidity on, it sounds like more than 1 person's part, if you ask me. Put the dog in the house or chain him up or whatever? The day I run my mill with a dog sleeping under it,is the day I need serious mental help? Never mind not seeing him under a small tractor like that? Time to retire dudes? Sorry,but I always say it like it is.

bozzaa69

And the other guy says "hero"  WOW? There's a silly little thing called safety,weather it's animal or human? And maybe common sense? But that's on it's way out these days it seems.

bozzaa69

What ever happened to the DIY Bandmill site anyways? I seem to fit in there better.

highleadtimber16

2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Magicman

Quote from: bozzaa69 on August 28, 2013, 11:39:31 PMserious stupidity on, it sounds like more than 1 person's part, if you ask me. 
Since there were only two people there and I was one, then your statement includes me.

My responsibility does not include a customer's pets.  If they choose to let them run free, then that is their choice.   Should the dog have been kept out of the work area?  Yes.  Was his presence bothersome?  Yes.  Did I personally approve of it?  No.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

Seems like there are always animals around our mill, mostly cats. Guess they gravitate to where people are. Course, when the guys give them half their lunch, its going to happen. The life span of a cat around a mill isn't long, but they seem happy when they are there. Arky used to bring his dog with him, who had to go visit every sawyer, plus the guys building pallets.

People are responsible for their own pets. You have to make the choice of restraining them for their own safety, or letting them have their freedom. Farm dogs are a perfect example. They may not have an average life as long as one chained up, but they are far happier when they are living.

bozzaa69

Of course my statement includes you "Magic man". So the other day when I was cutting down 70' white pine on a residential site for my neighbor,an excavating contractor who brings his 2 golden retrievers to work with him everywhere,and the dogs are wandering all around. Should I have your attitude and just fell my trees, because "My responsibility does not include a customer's pets.  If they choose to let them run free, then that is their choice." Or should I have called them and put them in his truck while I dropped the trees? Guess which option I chose? Letting a dog sleep under your mill while sawing vs. tying him up at a safe location for the day should be a no brainer? Your dog or somebody else's. And to Kansas, I'm not an advocate of tying dogs up all the time for their whole life. Just when their in the way like that.

stumpy

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Draco

What if you cut down that white pine and there was a squirrel on top of it?  Wouldn't your PETA friends be ticked off at you for hurting a squirrel? 

There are a lot of forums with DIY bandmill projects.  Try www.google.com and type in DIY bandmill.  Don't worry, it isn't as hard as using a cell phone.

Where did you get that great attitude?  It's in all of your posts.

mesquite buckeye

Bozzaa- No whomping on the Magicman, please. He is a good guy and beloved on the Forestry Forum. Sometimes it is just better to bite your tongue. :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jeff

Bozzaa, I suggest you read your private messages before you decide to hit that post button again.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

There's nothing I enjoy more than meeting someone and having them get in your face about something right away >:(
Too many irons in the fire

fat olde elf

Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on August 25, 2013, 09:09:58 PMWe did so while killing two tractors, one box blade, one dog, seven saw blades, and one well used skid trail.

Quote from: stumpy on August 29, 2013, 10:06:43 AM
Did the dog survive?
Actually everything did/will survive except the sawblades.  "Killed" was a bad choice of words on my part, but the customer and I were counting the "causalities" of the job.  Things just kept happening and we were wondering if we could/would be able to finish. 

The Massey needed a radiator repaired, the 8N needed gas and something about the steering, the box blade needed welding, the dog was limping badly, and the skid trail needed fill dirt/sand and some leveling.  The saw blades are on the way to resharp and I suspect that they all will be replaced.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bozzaa69

If "woodshed" means what I think it means, your gonna need quite a few guys!

hackberry jake

Quote from: bozzaa69 on August 29, 2013, 10:35:44 PM
If "woodshed" means what I think it means, your gonna need quite a few guys!
My guess is just one named Jeff ::)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

SEMO79

MagicMan
Tuff break things were going so rough, but if it was easy everyone would do it :)

Always had dogs around the mill, or in the woods when we cutting for that matter. Long as we taught them to stay out of the dust pit under the saw, no problems. The woods, the mill or in the field, my dog follows me everywhere. Probably for her half of my twinkie at lunch time ;D

Jeff

I can guarantee you it only takes one.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WildDog

Hey Bozzaa, take some time mate to sit and read through the forum, you will see its a community of well mannered people. A good place to come at the end off a day and listen/participate in what these gentleman have to say and share, they don't need to talk tough, don't spoil it. 
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

mechengineer13

Been a member for a long time.  Rarely post as I have no milling experience to share.  Continuing to read, learn and keep my dream alive of having my own mill one day.  This thread does offer me the opportunity to share where I do have experience.  Jeff, I'll be glad to join you in your endeavor.

Thank You Sponsors!