iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberpro

Started by Skeans1, February 23, 2019, 11:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

We don't hardly see any Madill out here other then a yarder most of the guys are running Doosan, Cat, Link Belt, some Deere, and lots of older Kobelco shovels still running today. I think if we were going to buy a newer shovel myself it'd be a Deere, Komatsu, or Doosan depending on size as well as size some places are starting in on weight restrictions for shovels which is good.

nativewolf

Right but you'd have all the same sorts of engineering talents, support,etc, figure out cost cuttings there.  There will be several redundant jobs ..sad but true.  Then they will make sure products don't overlap and support some sort of visions someone has at komatsu.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

madill seems to have a great rep but if I look at the new products I don't see them pushing anything other than log loaders and yarders.  Interesting, I know I've seen video of them with Logmax heads.  Maybe the company took a turn?
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

You can take a shovel/log loader and add a head or a buncher but it won't have the reach like a harvester boom. At one time you could get the buncher with a harvester boom from the factory. Most common setup is either a road builder with a processor head or a shovel fitted with a head some of the choice will come down to how much lift and reach you'd need.

nativewolf

Right on.  We don't have any Madill on the east coast, I guess the whole tree shovel logging out here just does not need that size equipment and the small tract sizes might make moves very tough.
Liking Walnut

quilbilly

Shovel logging isn't made for long distances. They can however move a high volume of wood short distances and with less ground disturbance than a skidder. I think most guys here do multiple landings if it's more than 6-8 swings.
Why not madill skeans? I talked to a local mechanic who used to work for Pape that preferred them over anything else. Said they were really easy to work on, especially the 2000's models with series 50 motor
a man is strongest on his knees

Skeans1

If I had to guess support would be one reason two with them changing hands so much threw the factory in Kalama getting closed turned some of the guys away. All the other machines now are factory built shovels unlike in the early 2000's when everything was conversions it's all gull wing for access, most have rear entry as well. Remember back when everything was Jewell, Pierce, or Young built? They were all at OLC this year it was a pretty sad showing from them all these days.

quilbilly

Yep, Pierce Jewell and young haven't come out with anything new in years. We have multiple sets of you g grapples hanging about. I prefer rear entry. It's a bit longer to get in but the roomy cab is worth it. I understand the support deal but with them being located on the west coast of Canada I don't think it would be a big deal. Even though they get talked down a bunch you can walk out the door with a doosan so cheap. I know a few people who really like em.
a man is strongest on his knees

Roxie

Guys please, do not use the quote function when you are replying to the comment above your post or unless the topic veers off course. 
Say when

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Riwaka

Komatsu - skidder line? Maybe for North America dust off the Timberpro TS620E skidder plans and give the design an upgrade/ modernization with frame upgrade, new engine, trans, hydraulics, grapple etc.

TimberPro TS620E skidder - YouTube

Jungles tend to use the winch equipped dozers - no flat tires.
Komatsu dozer in jungle 
Komatsu D85S SS WMV V8 menggila - YouTube

Europe - pick up a Camox or Irum skidder maker and do similar to what Claas did with the old Renault tractor factory in France. France has skidder width restrictions. 

whatwas

I have no intentions of Hi-jacking this tread but when I saw the word Doosan I gotta ask what you think of them. I've been given  350 Doosan ex for a demo (hammer and rock bucket) but no-one knows about them around here, at least not in my circle. 
life is good

Riwaka

Doosan likely to have a scania 5 cylinder engine. In the scania trucks with a similar engine, can have screws break off the cam followers.
"9. Cam followers: Screws prone to breaking off the cam followers on examples with the DC09 5-cylinder engine"

Compare with a Volvo ec350el - volvo 6 cylinder engine. or others.  

Thank You Sponsors!