Fla._Deadheader

Yer a fine lookin gal to be over 100 years old, Patty !!!!! ;D ;D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Roxie

Patty, your explanation reminds me of something that happened in my family.  My Grandmother taught my Mother to cook, and Mom taught me.  One Easter weekend, I was in Mom's kitchen with her and my Grandmother and I was getting the ham ready to go into the oven.  I cut off the back part of the ham, like I'd been doing for years and years and sat it aside.  I then reached over and picked that hunk of ham up and said, "Why do we cut this part of the ham off before we cook it?"  My Mother just looked at me, and then turned to my Grandmother and said, "Why DO we Mom?"  My grandmother said, "Well, I don't know why you're doing it, but I did it because the ham wouldn't fit in the pan I had."   :D
Say when

Buzz-sawyer

Fla said" I'm from the old country. No soap on my chikins"
New Jersey is old world :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sawguy21

Don't know why you add soap. Those buggers were hard enough to hang on to :D I still remember the smell of the chickens being plucked too and it aint pleasant
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

Jeez Louise....don't you guys know anything. The reason we add soap to the water is to clean the chickens at the same time as plucking em.  ;D

I'll always remember when my oldest son was 3 years old or so, I had been out squirrel hunting and was in the garage getting ready to clean them. He showed up and asked "what you doing dad". I explained I was gonna clean up the squirrels for supper. He disappeared and showed up a couple of minutes latter with a scrub brush to help. :D

TN_man

We really like the Black Sexlink. They lay big brown eggs and are pretty consistent layers. No more of those old weak tasting store bought eggs for us. We started saleing eggs to church members a few years back and now the majority of the church buyes farm fresh eggs. ;)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Stump Jumper

Everybody Now! smiley_singsongnote02

Gone Country
Look at those boots

Gone Country
new kind of roots

Gone Country
a new kind of suit!! :D :D

I'm not much of a musician.  But you will have these things showing up in the yard that I like to call chicken nuggets and yes they will get on your boots if you don't watch were you walk.

We have 4 hens that we let free range we have 2 rhode island reds, barred rock and a black hen.  We had a golden comet and she was the friendliest she died last summer.  We will probably get some more golden comets.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

hiya

We do about 400 meat birds a year. We put soap in the scald water. It makes them clean. We have a barrow picker I built. can do 2-4 chickens in about 30 seconds. The scald has to be right. We keep 50-75 for our use and sell the rest.
The secert to cook a tender chicken is a little lower heat and a little longer.Just ate some breast meat, cut it with my fork.
Richard
RichardinMd.

Roxie

Hiya!  How long does it take to get your birds up to selling weight?  How heavy do you like them to be when they're ready?  And, one last thing I've wondered.....do those birds give eggs too?   :)
Say when

johncinquo

Hey Jason, odd minds think alike, I was just thinking of setting up a coop for a few birds again.  I had one for a long time, but was raising pheasants, quail, wood ducks and partridge back then.  I figured a few chickens would be fun and I need something to keep my 8 year old boy a little busier! 

You can get good feed cheap enough at the farmers Co-op just south of you on M37.  I always bought the high protein blend for the birds, but I imagine che-kens could do with the cheaper stuff. 

One thing I always did when I had young chicks was fill the base of the waterer with marbles.  Does two things, keeps their heads out of the hole so they dont drown themselves (yep it happens believe it or not) and the light reflecting through the glass attracts their eye and they peck at it, and end up drinking more water with keeps em from getting dehydrated.  Dumb little things can die from the craziest things. 

When I had quail mature ones could lay about 30 eggs a day.  I only could incubate about 50 at a time so I had so many extra eggs I started hard boiling them and then making little pickeled eggs out of em.  Break them babbies out at a cocktail party and watch the fun!   A pain to shell though. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Dana

Roxie, We raise chickens for sale from chicks. It takes 2-3 months to get 2 to 3 lb chickens. This is the age they are most tender. If you let them get to 7 months plus they get huge 7 to 10 lbs and need to be roasted or stewed. At that age they have the flavor you may remember as a kid at grandma's. Meat chickens do lay eggs just not as consistently as egg layers. Check out our website www.greenleaffarms.net for more info if you like. Dana
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

submarinesailor

All this talk about eggs brings back memories of riding submarines out of Guam.  The eggs were what the Navy "Sea Service Eggs", they had been dipped in a wax or an oil.  However, after 45 days under water, you sure could tell when the cook started breakfast.  The smell is one that I will never forget.   :o :o :o You looked forward to the power eggs.  Remind me to tell you guys about the green ring bologna after being submerged for 75 days. :D :D :D

subsailor

Buzz-sawyer

dana
So how long do you keep laying hens, at what point do you butcher them?
Do you keep any roosters around?
Buzz
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Patty

:D :D  That's funny Roxie! I imagine that is how alot of traditions get started....no real reason behind them except for the person who started it.  Our hens lay real good for about 3 years, then they start to slack off some. We don't butcher them, we just let them die of old age.

FDH....yes I do look remarkebly good for being over 100; and don't you forget it either! I have to remind Norm daily about how beautiful I am, he keeps forgetting.  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dana

Buzzsawyer, we replace our laying hens every other year. The meat bird chicks are a mix of hens and roosters.

Arthur

Unless you know how to sex for sure which requires a finger in a specific location you can tell 99% of the time by looking at the chickens.

They need to be at the same age and just starting to get their feathers.

In large type birds the females tend to get tail feathers and the wing feathers normall are longer than the length of the body.

The males tend to have no or very short tail and wing feathers.

You normally will also notice that the cone on the females will be short and the male will be long.

This works most of the time but you do need to pick from a group that are within a weeks age of each other.

arthur

Roxie

Dana, thanks so much for the link to the website!  I appreciate the information!   :D
Say when

Camp Run Farm

Get the black sex links, they are hens and lay nice brown eggs.  You don't need a rooster to get eggs. 

Roxie

Welcome to the forum Camp Run Farm!   :)
Say when

Ernie

Dana  Nice website  I sure wish we could get those prices for our beef in NZ, it's all grass fed.  I just sent some off to the works Slaughterhouse) yesterday  will find out soon what I get for them.

We cross with Wagyu (Japanese Kobe beef)  to increase the marbling score.  Make great eating when killed in the paddock with no stress.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

hiya

Roxie, We raise Carnish- cross. Theydress out 5-6 lbs. at 7-8 weeks. We get the farter growing ones, The slow ones dress out 4-5 lbs. at 7-8 weeks. These chickens don;t lay eggs. I don't think they would live that long. They have some leg problems because they grow too fast. Also heart attact (sp?)
Richard
RichardinMd.

Frank_Pender

I have not been following this thread, but thought some of you would like to know that a small flock of chicken notified their owner, late this afternoon, that Mt. St. Helens was about the blow its top.  Sure enough, very shortly oafte they began running around the yard the mountain poped its cork, sending steam and ash about 30, 000 feet into the air. :o
Frank Pender

wiam

Most of the leg problems and heart attacks in cornish rock cross birds will be avoided if they are put on a restricted diet.  Look at   www.welphatchery.com   They explain the diet.  This is where I get my broilers and this diet has worked well.  I get all males when I order, which I did yesterday.

Will

Dana

Ernie, How familiar are you with Red Devons? I have been trying to locate some heiffers or even some young cows here in the upper mid-west and have had terrible luck. It is my understanding that they are very common in NZ Have you had any experience with them? If so what did you think?

Thank You Sponsors!