iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rules For Weight Limits ?

Started by Autocar, July 03, 2011, 08:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Every state must be different ? I love the loads on the single axle trucks, but the loader alone here in Ohio would almost put the truck at it's limits.
Bill

sawguy21

We had that problem with a 2 axle International packing a knuckle boom. It was pretty much useless except as a yard truck so the owners bought a tandem. Pretty much eliminated half the shop guys as they didn't have cdl's.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

smwwoody

My truck weighs 19000 empty.  it is licensed for 38000  i can legally axle 34000.  That leaves me 15000 for a payload.  I had a little more than that on in the pic with Treefarmer87's logs.  Those are standard weights from the federal motor carrier regs.  In Virginia they will let you put 20000 on the steer axle if it is rated for it.  so I guess I could legally axle 40000 here.  Virginia's weight laws are VERY unclear and every trooper you ask gives you a different answer.  I have a lift axle that I am going to put under it this winter.  I hope that makes me legal at 40000.  I will feel better then.

The door tag was missing on my truck when I bought it.  I haven't been able to find a rating on the axles.  anyone have any ideas on how to find the ratings on the axles I have now?

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

bill m

The V.I.N. number will give you the codes to find out what was installed at the factory.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

snowstorm

Quote from: smwwoody on July 03, 2011, 10:17:04 PM
My truck weighs 19000 empty.  it is licensed for 38000  i can legally axle 34000.  That leaves me 15000 for a payload.  I had a little more than that on in the pic with Treefarmer87's logs.  Those are standard weights from the federal motor carrier regs.  In Virginia they will let you put 20000 on the steer axle if it is rated for it.  so I guess I could legally axle 40000 here.  Virginia's weight laws are VERY unclear and every trooper you ask gives you a different answer.  I have a lift axle that I am going to put under it this winter.  I hope that makes me legal at 40000.  I will feel better then.

The door tag was missing on my truck when I bought it.  I haven't been able to find a rating on the axles.  anyone have any ideas on how to find the ratings on the axles I have now?

Woody ya 20k on front with a 20k front axle and 425  22.5 tires your truck has at most a 12k front axle . you should consider putting a pusher axle under it. not only could you haul more it would be a much safer truck. more stable more brakes. in that pic you had way to much weight on front. i perfer a tag axle over a pusher but you would have to move the rear end ahead for a tag to work

smwwoody

snowstorm,

I agree with you 100 percent.  I have a pusher for it but i am holding out for a tag.  If I dont find one soon I will put the pusher in.  The truck drives and stops very well now with 38000.  I wasn't there when my son loaded that load.  He is new to trucking and I have told him how he needs to move the load back over the rear tires to get the weight right on each axle.  The truck drives so nice and handles a load no mater where you put it so good he forgets some times.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!