iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer head dropping

Started by Kansas, July 11, 2011, 08:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

We replaced the up/down gearbox several weeks ago on our LT 70.  We then encountered a new problem, rare at first, but getting much worse, to the point we shut the mill down. The head free falls. Usually it happens when you position it for a new cut. However, it has happened in the cut. They sent a brake assembly add on but it was meant for the LT 40, not the 70. They put it on anyway, and didn't seem to make any difference. They were on the phone with WM all Friday afternoon. They can't figure it out, except thinking it might be a programming problem in one of the units in the electrical control panel. Anyone ever had this on a 70? We have to get up and running.

Jeff

Could it be a sticky switch? Does it do it suddenly for no reason after sitting still or after making a set?  What is the scenario leading up to the movement?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

smwwoody

We had the same problem a few times. Are you getting any error messages?  Ours was caused by differnt things each time. First check the cable connection on the back of the accuset box then check the one on the bottem of the transducer. After that check the ones inside and outside the lower interface box on the side of the head by the drive motor. If it is none of the connections it could be to cables the interface box or the transducer. WM tech support should be able to pin it down for you. I'm sure marty will chime in here with some good advice

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Kansas

Well it started out being when you were setting the head for the next cut. Push the down lever and it just kept dropping. And it only happened rarely at first. But it got more frequent, and then changed to where it would drop in the cut when the head was going forward, after the correct height was achieved.  We have accuset, but only use it as a tool to determine height; we don't use it to lower the head to the next cut.

Everyone thinks its something in the electronics. And those problems can really be hard to figure out.

No error messages. It could be a connection problem. Just hard to pin down what it would be. Its a typical problem with electronics where it doesn't happen constantly, that makes it hard to figure out.

LeeB

I know Arky has a lot going on right now and may not want to talk mill troubles, but he had the same issue. He may be able to give you some insight.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

smwwoody

PM me for my phone # and I will try to talk you through all the checks
Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Kansas

Thanks for the offer, woody. Its possible the issue has been resolved. Apparently, from my understanding, the company that makes the gear boxes took it upon themselves to upgrade the new batch of gear boxes. Problem is, that throws off the settings in a control box. They had us reprogram settings. I kind of take it it caught Woodmizer by surprise.  I was gone this morning chasing down other stuff that needed to be fixed, but they indicate its working fine now during testing.They were getting ready to put a log on the mill when I got back. I been on the road a bunch, and I'm getting second hand information, so it could be I'm not accurate.

Kansas

Back to square one. Parts arriving overnight.

smwwoody

If I can ever be of any help don't be afraid to give me a shout.  We have had an LT70 as part of our operation for around 6 years now.  I am not as good as WM tech support but I have seen most of the things that can go wrong with a 70 happen.  It is still a great mill after over 14000 hrs.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Kansas

Back going again. The new "old style" gear box came in and we got it on. Had to reprogram but now the head going up and down is far faster than it ever has been. Big thank you to Ron at Woodmizer.

GregBuk

Woody - might have to take you up on that offer at some point.  We just picked one up last weekend at auction.  8)
Wichita Tree Service in Wichita, KS is the premiere tree care service in town.  "We love your trees!"

Thank You Sponsors!