iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band sharpening

Started by Bruno of NH, September 06, 2016, 04:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I took some bands to one of the sharpening services i use today.
He does my cooks and timberwolf bands.
I'm glad i did .
He just got 3 new state of the art machines from Wood-Mizer.
They look top shelf for sure.
Now he can do all my Wood-Mizer bands and i can save on shipping :) :)
They have great turn around for me drop off on Monday UPS drops them on Wednesday :) :) I call that good service.
Bringing him my Wood-Mizer bands on Friday
I like these people they have been great to me very happy for the one stop service I will have know.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Delawhere Jack

Sharpened 15 bands this afternoon. Hand crank on my homemade sharpener to advance the bands.....2,700 turns of that crank....... :(

I keep telling myself that I'm saving $7/band doing it myself, but I REALLY need to motorize that function.

scmilling

Hey Delawhere jack.
Your home made grinder- does it just do the face of the tooth or the back and gullet as well.  I'm looking for designs to make my own, but am not an engineer at all so the simpler the better.  Perhaps a pic or two of yours ?
I like the set up of the norwood hand crank but its still way too expensive for my budget.
Shaun
-Think I need a bigger hammer !

DDW_OR

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 06, 2016, 07:03:35 PM
Sharpened 15 bands this afternoon. Hand crank on my homemade sharpener to advance the bands.....2,700 turns of that crank....... :(

I keep telling myself that I'm saving $7/band doing it myself, but I REALLY need to motorize that function.

you could use this to control the speed
Router Speed Control Dial
http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html
"let the machines do the work"

Bruno of NH

went and picked up some bands on Friday and dropped off 10 woodmizer bands some 9,7 and 4's
Picking them up next Friday to save on shipping
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

I think it was Piney that mentioned, if you used the new cbn wheels, it would be fairly simple to build a sharpener. All it would need is a clamping guide, an indexing lever, and maybe a modified chopsaw (all it would have to do is go up and down). This is because the cbn wheel does the whole profile at once, where a drag grinder has to have a cam and a means to feed the blade that is synchronized to the cam. That can get pretty complicated. The only problems with the cbn is it has to have a coolant, and it has to be matched specifically to the blade profile you are grinding.
Too many irons in the fire

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 06, 2016, 07:03:35 PM

My homemade sharpener is similar in design to yours and originally had a hand crank too.  The hand crank was soon replaced with a 12V automotive power seat gearmotor, a cheap PWM DC speed controller off of ebay, and some pulleys sized to get the speed range to about 0-60 RPM.  To power the gearmotor there's a car battery hooked to a charger that sits on the floor under the sharpener. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Bruno of NH

Went over today and picked up my WM bands
They came out great
He has 3 WM BMS500 industrial grade blade sharpeners he showed me how they work
They are very quiet and close over the band so no oil flys around and a computer counts the teeth as it goes then stops it when finished smiley_thumbsup

Ox

I'm jealous - I want one of those new sharpeners.  :'( :D

I really would like one...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

bandmiller2

If you mill for hire and especially if there are several band sawyers in your area that need someone to sharpen bands it won't take long to pay for a good grinder. Of course you must also set. Not everyone has the temperament to sharpen, but it isn't bad if your set up right. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: scmilling on September 07, 2016, 06:34:10 PM
Hey Delawhere jack.
Your home made grinder- does it just do the face of the tooth or the back and gullet as well.  I'm looking for designs to make my own, but am not an engineer at all so the simpler the better.  Perhaps a pic or two of yours ?
I like the set up of the norwood hand crank but its still way too expensive for my budget.
Shaun

Sorry for the delay in replying. Here are a few photos of my sharpener, at reply #20 in this thread. It is a drag type grinder that grinds the entire profile.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,66417.20.html

Built mostly from cabinet grade plywood with metal reinforcements where needed. 1/2HP motor powers the grind stone, a hand crank powers the cam that lifts the grinding wheel and works the band feed paw. Basically copied the Cooks Saw Cat Claw sharpener design. Been using it for over 3 years now, and it works fine. A few little refinements would be nice, I'll get to them eventually. About 4-5 months ago I started cleaning my used band by soaking them in a lye solution, 1lb of lye in about 15 gallons of water in the utility tub in the basement. About 30 minute soak followed by a rinse and brush. This leaves the bands looking almost new, and allows a much more consistent grind since they pass through band clamp with more equal tension.

nh-dan

Bruno do you have the contact info for the guy who sharpened your blades? I need to get a batch done.

Thanks
Dan
woodmizer lt20D, NewHolland TC23D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: nh-dan on September 19, 2016, 10:59:29 AM
Bruno do you have the contact info for the guy who sharpened your blades? I need to get a batch done.

Thanks
Dan

There's a guy in Belmont will sharpen anything. I bring my chipper blades there.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Bruno of NH on September 20, 2016, 07:01:54 PM
It's the place Peter

Well the next time you go get blades stop by , you have to drive right by my place. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 21, 2016, 06:54:04 AM
Quote from: Bruno of NH on September 20, 2016, 07:01:54 PM
It's the place Peter

Well the next time you go get blades stop by , you have to drive right by my place. :D
I was thinking about it but didn't want to bug you in the busy season .
I want to see one of the big WM mills sing :D :D

Peter Drouin

I don't know about singing. :D :D :D
I'm here 8am to 5pm Let me know what day you're going to get some blades.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!