iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Van tour and tools i use in germany

Started by Wolfgang Rother, October 02, 2022, 01:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Good tour of the van holding all the tools. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Good Video, I enjoyed that. It's always interesting to see the different approaches and mindsets between the Europeans and Americans, as well as other continents. Much of it is related to long developed culture and I find it all good and fascinating it the subtle differences. Our culture here only goes back a couple hundred years and yours is much much deeper.
 Interesting to hear you saw a lot of oak, I wonder what species exactly? Does that bring a better price? I had spoken with a German Journeyman Master floor craftsman about two years ago and he envied the variety of wood we had available here. He said they had to import most hardwoods, but it sounds like you have a different situation.
 I look forward to seeing the video of your shop setup.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

customsawyer

Thanks for the tour. Great video. Would like to see one of you milling. I traveled all over Germany back in 1991 for a month. Military so kind of a guided tour as I got to see what they wanted to show me, not so much what I wanted to see. When I was over there I noticed lots of softwood timber stands were obviously planted. What kind of a rotation are most of them?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Stephen1

Great video, thanks for sharing. I was interested to see the squares.   I travel also,  20-30 sawmill jobs a year and have never carried one or worried that the saw is not sawing square. I also carry a 72" logrite peeve as some logs need extra help.
I will tune my mill every winter and then usually at some point in the summer I find the mill will need a minor tune up. 
Now it would be great to see some milling on site videos.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

richhiway

greetings from monticello,n.y. like to see your workshop and sawmill. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Wolfgang Rother

when i cleaned it up i like to show it to u guys

customsawyer

Please don't clean it up. That will make mine look bad. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SawyerTed

The van is s nice solution!  Seeing your tools is fascinating. While the designs are a bit different the principles are the same. 

I'm looking forward to seeing you saw and the products you make. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Wolfgang Rother

I have made a few videos, but they are in german... if i make them in english only u guys will watch them...xD

beenthere

If in English, they could be watched world-wide. 

If in German, maybe we could learn some German.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OlJarhead

Hey!  I didn't even realized you'd joined FF!  Welcome! (a little late but glad to see you!)

I need to watch your vid on the Chinese bands (the 2nd one as I watched the 1st).

Thanks for this video, interesting and informative!  A van is a good idea and makes perfect sense.  Out here a truck is the common vehicle and in my case doubles as a camper when I need it :D

Cheers
Erik
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Wolfgang Rother

THx, yes nice too see u to!!
The stuff from china is not so bad, but the custumer service is B.S.
The Van, i owned it bevor the mill. So my mill ist 1945 kg and i can tow only 2000kg so that`s the limit.
I dream about a truck but they are so extrem expensive here in germany..
btw my old van got only 87 hp powerstroke :D :D :D :D
the new one 150 powerstroke 8), and goes 120 mph ;D
jupp i have see ur video at ur county site house, awesome !!!!!!!!!

Like i said, if a have the money. I have to visit some of the really cool sayers in the US and Canada.

Have a great day!!!
mistakes in writing are for free!!
Wolfgang

OlJarhead

That puts things into perspective!  My truck has over 400hp and 950 lbs/ft of torque and can tow 32,500 lbs!  Guess we're really spoiled here ;)

I figured the support on those bands would be poor at best, specially compared to WM and others here in the US.  They kept asking me if I wanted to try them but honestly I really didn't want too LOL  maybe for someone who does their own sharpening and setting it might be ok but WM takes care of that for me :)  Saves me time!

Forestry Forum has an annual pig roast where many folks here go but it's so far from me I don't know if I'll ever make it!  Maybe if I get 100,000 subs I'll make it out! lol but in the meantime I'll have to stick to local stuff ;)

Wolfgang Rother

Here in Germany the best Service is Woodmizer for u bandsaw blades.
Too resharp one blade is arround 8,5 dollar
But they clean, set the theet, resharp, oil them and shipping is with in the 8,5.
So a box of ten blades is in total with tax arround 85 .
No one can beat this deal.

About ur truck, dammmmmm 400 hp Diesel ????
Here is Diesel a biggggggg thing.
in germany u can`t buy many US cars and to find a dealership, it`s hard.

Subs i am happy when i reach 1000 hahahaha :D :D :D :D

So i make some videos in my shop, sry in german, maybe in english....
But i don`t know some of the tool`s name in english...

btw i like the US, but no publik drinking ???????
here it`s legal 8)

OlJarhead

LOL it depends on what State you are in whether you can 'drink' in public or not though I guess in almost all States it's no where near as 'public' as there! lol

Each State is almost like a separate country within the nation and since it's such a big country the laws and customs of one state may be very different from another!  For example, in Oregon you can't buy liquor in a Grocery Store but you can in Washington State and in both you must be 21 to enter a bar...meanwhile in Texas kids can enter a bar with their parents and people often have weddings at bars and have their children there!  Something unheard of here.

Louisiana people party in the street at Martigras so I am guessing public drinking there is legal.  And in many states it is at the beach or in a park.

That's the thing about the US, it's so big that in a way, it's like all of Europe with each State like a separate country but everyone speaks the same language (mostly anyway) and the cultures are similar.  I can drive to Georgia and meet up for a BBQ at Jakes place and stop in an see Magicman at the half way mark (or so) but it would take me days to get there!  It's over 3000 miles from where I am in WA State to where Jake is in Georgia!

Always wanted to visit Germany and flew in and out of it once (which may be the only time I get to visit!) but as I hate flying LOL and am getting older (so hate it even more) it's unlikely I'll make it over there :(  But we have a little touristy town here with a Bavarian Theme called 'Leavenworth' that is fun to visit now and then ;)

Wolfgang Rother

MMMM i am thinking about if a sawmill user is here in SW germany, come arround a visit me.

The US laws are confusing me :D :D :D
here u can buy beer in Grocery Store, gas stations.......at a age at 16
over 16 % alkohol u must be 18

If u have a chance to come to Germany visit me.
I lve in
Bad Mergentheim
It`s a small city

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Wolfgang Rother on October 21, 2022, 08:24:08 AM

The US laws are confusing me :D :D :D.......
They confuse us too. That's the idea. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

Yes, US states vary a lot in their laws! Drinking laws being one example. In Minnesota, it used to be liquor stores had to be closed on Sunday. That was just changed about 5 years ago. No liquor sales in grocery stores. Drinking age is 21, which is universal across the US as the federal government basically forced all of the states to adopt that age. 

Now when I visit Wyoming, a western state with a "cowboy" culture, up until a few years ago they still had a drive through window on the liquor stores. My uncle said when he was younger you could get a mixed drink in the drive through😂
Too many irons in the fire

SawyerTed

Beer, wine and liquor sales are one thing, try to figure out hunting and fishing laws from one state to another.  ??? ???
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

No kidding, Ted! Example- in MN firearms must be unloaded and cased in a vehicle. In Wyoming, you can keep your firearm uncased and loaded if it suits you. Standard practice is to have a bolt action rifle with the magazine loaded but the bolt closed on an empty chamber. 
Party hunting- in MN, you have a party of 5 hunters, one guy can fill everyone's tags as long as you are hunting together (he can't fill your tag while you're at work). 
In Wyoming, this practice is forbidden. You fill your own tag.

SawyerTed

NC deer seasons start the second Saturday in September with archery, then around 1st of November we have muzzleloader season for two weeks.  Muzzleloader season starts at different times depending upon your region within the state. Then rifle season starts around the middle of November until January. 
You can use any weapon permitted in the previous season so archery is allowed September to January 

Neighboring states have weapon specific seasons that open and close or they have very open regulations and comparatively longer seasons.  

Fishing regulations are even worse.  Don't even think about catching flounder in SC and running your boat back to NC when the NC season is closed.

Back to the original intent of this thread, I have thought a van might make a good portable sawmill vehicle.  It seems that work vans sell for 1/3 to 1/2 of pickup trucks of similar age and mileage.  

Magicman

A van type vehicle might would work for me but it absolutely would have to be 4WD with a limited slip differential.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

I've considered vans for a saw/woods rig. There us nothing nice about all of your gear getting rained and snowed on in the back of a pickup. Not to mention, up here when something gets snowed on in the back of a truck, you might not see it again until April😡 So an enclosed body would be great, I've seen a few guys do Tonnue covers on truck beds with cutouts for the parts to their off road fuel ranks that are too tall to fit underneath. 

I come back to the same thing as Magic- I need 4x4 to be able to access the worksites I am on, and 4x4 vans are rare. 4x4 van with a diesel engine even rarer yet. 

Stephen1

If they built 4x4 vans everyone would have one. it's nice to keep everything protected. As you say Barbender things in the bed of the truck  disappear until March here. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!