iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mixed Nuts...

Started by SwampDonkey, January 07, 2007, 07:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Made ya look didn't I? :D :D No, not a joke guys. ;)

In fact not much point to the post, only just an observation and after reading the label, a conformation.

I was looking at this can of GV mixed nuts and I said to myself, they had to be imported. This is a Walmart branded product. So I read through the nut list which has a phrase: "Contains product from one or more of the following countries: Cashews-India,Brazil,Vietnam,Indonesia; Brazil nuts-Brazil,Bolivia; Pecans-Mexico. I assume the peanuts, some of the pecans, and macadamia nuts come from the US. Got no grievance about where they come from, they taste mighty fine actually. Nuts are one of them snacks that fills ya up without having the eat the whole can.

Eat more nuts, good for ya, taste good. ;)

Hey, Ive noticed in the bulk store we can get pine nuts even. Never see them in the grocery.

Grandfather new some old timers who came hunting from the Carolinas and they would often bring a sac of peanuts or pecans.  Some of them had plantations and some would pick up a sac from a farmer. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jon12345

I had a bunch of buckets full of butternuts, then red squirrels started stealing them.  Then I put them in a metal can, which made them start rotting.  After the metal can I dumped them in an old hedgerow and covered them up  with some grass and sawdust.  Now there is a big pile of brown husks in the yard  :-\  guess its gonna be walmart nuts for me too.

Ya ever try any of the 'northern' pecans??  blech

I've heard of a few people tryin to grow peanuts, then they got mad when their plant didn't grow any nuts... so they ripped them out of the ground, to their amazement  voila  nuts  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Bill

I'm good with the nuts - but the salt - well doc says no salt but otherwise to enjoy. ;D

logwalker

My favorite are filberts out of Oregon for the most part. You guys might know them as Hazelnuts. Turns out they have taxol the same as yew bark. Taxol has cancer fighting properties. Eat more nuts. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

jon12345

My aunt's father asked me what kinda tree he had found, brought me a branch with little cabbages growin on it  ::) was a new one to me but figured it out after I ripped all that cabbage off to reveal the nuts.  Never seen a wild one and neither had he, after working in the woods longer than I've been alive x2(or 3) :D

SwampDonkey

Pecan hickory is what you'de want Jon, probably not bitternut or pignut.

With the butternuts we put them in the attic in fall, spread out on news papers.

Hmm, I seen a gray squirrel yesterday and that is not common to see away from the towns. I went for the camera, took < 20 secs and the squirrel was long gone. But it seemed friendly enough at the time, it came right up to me untill I shoed it away from the open garage door. But, at the time it didn't run far.

So what was the cabbage tree?  You going to leave us hanging? ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jon12345

oh  hazelnut   :D  more like lettuce than cabbage really

SwampDonkey

You don't have many beaked hazel bushes down there? They are a curse here, but I like the nuts. A girl picked a hole garbage sac this past august on one of our thinning blocks. I told here she was probably a couple weeks too early, too green. In the spring they are one of the first shrubs to pollenate the woods......ahhhhhhhhhh choooo, the air is yellow with the stuff. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!