iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mini mill vs beam machine

Started by Alexis, June 04, 2010, 12:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

hello, I'm interested in buying one of these two attachement. I'm interested in sawing a few logs into timber. I know it will be slow and long but... wich one of these two would give the most precise cut? I'm wondering if the beam machine as enough room to wiggle a bit and it seems to me that the v rail in the mini mill would be better but I've never even seen in real life one of these...

thanks

Alexis

Kevin

I have the mini mill and it works good.
It isn't as true in a long cut as the Alaskan but I use it for edging and I made a jig for cutting timbers on an angle.
I would choose it over the beam machine.

fuzzybear

I agree with Kevin. 
  The beam machine runs on a 2x4 track. The problem is all commercial 2x4s are 3 1/2 " and the guide is 3 5/8".  It takes a lot of time to set up on the bar so that it is square and takes a lot longer to cut as you are constantly trying to account for the 1/8" gap on the guide. 
   They are ok for taking one face off of a log in the bush. For more "accurate" cuts I would use the mini mill or better yet an Alaskan.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

jander3

I have both, once I purchased the mini-mill, I've never pulled out the beam machine for anything other than cutting windows in a log cabin.

By far, the mini-mill works much better.

boatman

I ordered a Beam Machine and when I put it on the saw it was about 5 degrees off.  Cut a foot or so and then the blade jammed.  They are sending a replacement free of charge.  The seller mentioned he had heard of this problem before. 

If it works well it would be great for making the first cut.

jander3

John S

I have used the mini-mill (in conjunction with the Alaskan mill) after the first slabbing cut to square off the log to make a cant.  It works pretty well, wear a large brimmed hat for the sawdust shower.
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Brucer

Quote from: John S on June 04, 2010, 05:18:07 PM
I have used the mini-mill (in conjunction with the Alaskan mill) after the first slabbing cut to square off the log to make a cant.  It works pretty well, wear a large brimmed hat for the sawdust shower.
John

No kidding. I fastened a cloth under the headband of my hard hat so it would hang down over my collar.

I did my first milling with a mini-mill. One of my early jobs was to cut up a large white pine, making some 12x12 timbers which I then quartered to make 6x6's. I used them to build my woodshed.

The guide rail system works well -- the chain pulls the saw down firmly onto the rails so there is little chance of it wandering.

It is slow.

After a while it can get expensive.
- First the mini mill.
- Next an Alaskan mill.
- Then a manual Wood-Mizer  (LT40).
- Then a hydraulic Wood-Mizer (LT40).
- When I used the mini mill and the Alaskan mill, I only had 1 chainsaw. Now I have two.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!