iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chamber Floor Insulation

Started by Tom Sawyer, September 27, 2008, 10:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

I have a question for those of you who have made a kiln chamber using a reefer box or shipping container.  Could you explain how you insulated the floor?  How much insulation, what kind, etc.  Your experience and wisdom is much appreciated :)

Tom

scsmith42

Tom, I put down a strip of 1/4" x 6" steel flat bar the length of the kiln for the cart wheels to ride on (distribute the weight of the carts).  One side had a 1'1/2" angle iron welded to it for the v-groove in the cart wheel to ride on.

The rest of the floor is covered with a strip of 1" foam board, with F/B/B/WP Tekfoil on top of it.  The Tekfoil does a great job of keeping the heat inside the kiln.  I added some pine 1 x 6's on top of the tekfoil on each side of the cart for a walk path.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don_Lewis

Better yet, don't even try. Buy a used refrigerated shipping container. They cost more but you save a lot more than the difference and the interior is alumum, fiberglass and stainless steel. People who have tried to insulate an uninsulated unit usually end up with a pile of junk in a short time. It can be done but it isn't easy or inexpensive to do it right.

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for the advice Don.  I will look into that.

Tom

Thank You Sponsors!