iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

air drying red alder?

Started by StorminN, September 08, 2008, 02:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorminN

Hi guys,

I just cut down some alders on my place and I'm thinking of milling and drying some for cabinets or maybe a small floor. I know some of you are air drying it (logwalker?)... so I'm wondering if you've got any tips, tricks, etc... all my stuff is still tree-length. Should I cut certain sized logs? (as in... not bother with long ones). Also, any particular sticker sizes or spacings? How big should I make the stacks? Do you strap the stacks down to help prevent twisting?

Thanks in advance,
-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

logwalker

Norm, I cut 8',10',12', and 14'. I try to get a straight section of course. Cut 4/4 thru 10/4" and some 5"and 6" for table legs. Long lengths are valuable for crown moldings and other profiles. I weight the stacks with old beams and timbers and keep in a location with good airflow. It is very easy to work with after drying and is very stable. But it can be full of tension when first cut green. I use a 7/8" sticker on 2' centers. Don't wait for more than a few weeks if you want wood without staining. The logs degrade very quickly. Great wood to work with. You will probably really like it. Number one staining wood there is. Can make it look like cherry or mahogany very easily. Get back to me with specifics if you think of any thing else. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

StorminN

Thanks Joe, I'll give it a whirl... might mill some this weekend...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Thank You Sponsors!