iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New from New York

Started by coolerat, November 12, 2014, 05:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rando

Take a look at Quality mills made in Utica also. I have a Grizzly 30 and it does what it's supposed to do.
I'm about 40 minutes south of you, outside of Norwich.

coolerat

I have seen them.

I don't know a thing about them.

Better start looking!!!!

Alligator

I don't know how handy you are? These guys seem to make a really well built mill. You can buy the pieces you don't want to build and build or acquire the others. Their prices are competitive. They are along way away from you. Doesn't cost any thing to watch their video. Linn Sawmills http://www.linnlumber.com/index.html I'm looking, not shopping yet.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

coolerat

Uh, yeah, so am I the first one to join the forum and read alot and experience "mission creep"???

I joined with the Woodland in mind with a vague somewhat blurry picture of a LT10  popping in from time to time.

Now to be honest a LT70 can do all I want.

Alligator

Quote from: coolerat on November 15, 2014, 06:13:01 PM
Uh, yeah, so am I the first one to join the forum and read alot and experience "mission creep"???
I joined with the Woodland in mind with a vague somewhat blurry picture of a LT10  popping in from time to time.
Now to be honest a LT70 can do all I want.

My mission has been creeeeeeep for 25 year. Probably will for another 3 or 4. My first 20 years working was in a sawmill. Better be careful you will get sawdust in your blood it doesn't come out.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

FarmingSawyer

Welcome to the forum! I live 40 min away from the manufacturer of my mill, and I rarely go there for parts or anything anymore. Most stuff I get locally at NAPA or order upgraded parts online. It just doesn't pay to make the round trip unless I'm headed that way anyway....and breakdowns never happen on a schedule.....Except the day 5 lightbulbs all blew within 30 min of each other. They'd all been installed new in the addition the same day...8 years earlier.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

mesquite buckeye

Welcome. ;D

With a little luck you too can become a ******** Ken doll. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Billbob

I've had a Woodland for about a year.  Works great.  Yep it is made in China but it is as solid as any other brand in the same price range.  No worry about parts.  It is designed so that most parts (bearings, belts, etc) can be sourced at your local hardware or automotive shop.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

coolerat

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on November 17, 2014, 10:12:16 AM
Welcome. ;D

With a little luck you too can become a ******** Ken doll. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :snowball:

Is being a Ken doll a good thing in this regard??

petefrom bearswamp

What mill is made in Utica?
Hud-Son is only about 18 miles north on rt 12.
MY BIL had a Hud-Son but I dont know if he still has it.
Are you going for hobby, limited production or higher production.
Bigger mfrs make heavier duty stuff.
WM Cooks etc.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Robert Owens

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the saw milling process as much as I do. Although they are not close to you, Cooks makes a great sawmill that is built heavier than any of the others I checked out before buying my MP 32. I would take the time to go see them in person operating so you can see how each compares. Most companies can share with you people in your area that have mills so you can see them and talk to the owners about what they like and dislike about the mills. It took me a little over a year to research and travel to see 5 different mills before I chose to go with the Cooks. Time well spent considering The amount of money one can spend on a mill due to all the different options available.

rockman

Quote from: coolerat on November 15, 2014, 04:19:06 PM
Well I am about videoed out for one day.

The folks who run the mills for the videos know what they are doing and they all look good.

Then I run into opinions.  Mine and others.  Mingled with facts that are hard to find.  One thing I'm having a hard time getting around is Woodland is striaghtup made in China.  WM seems to be US.  Hudson is US and local to boot.  But made in US out of steel from China and on and on.  Plus I ain't half against China as I once was cause half the stuff I buy comes from there.

Super cornfusing.  Still fun though.

Take a look at Turner mills also, Hand made by Bill Turner in Oxford N.Y.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

coolerat

I believe the one made in Utica is called the Woodchuck.

Use is to be feeding my woodworking hobby will a vague plan to sell off extra. Basicly to be one of the guys I been buying from over the years. When I see a sweet pile of cherry I don't see dollar signs I see hope chests.

Spring and summer I like to be outside and sawing looks like fun to me. Fall is my busy time at work so nothing gets done around the house. Winter is shop time.

For my own needs I can get plenty of free logs. Quality unknown as I never had a mine. As I say yes to the logs I belive more will be availbile so I might be able to sell some.

I'm not opposed to getting rich at it but that is not my intention.

johnnyllama

I also would suggest checking out Turner Mills south of you in Oxford NY. Bill Turner makes every mill himself with one other employee. We bought a used one with a couple hundred hours on it after visiting his shop. Almost every part on his machine is available at your local NAPA or Tractor supply. His units use rubber trailer tires/wheels that require no lubrication for the blade and he has a great double bearing blade guide system. Any one of his mills can start as a manual and be upgraded to add hydraulics as you grow. We can cut 1/8" veneer or 24" wide table slabs with precision. It's a basic mill but it works great. Ours has a Honda twin, hydraulic loaders, and electric head lift. It's a manual as far as turning logs and pushing through the log, but for the quantity we cut, mostly for our own use, it's been great.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Busy Beaver Lumber

Welcome Coolerat

My two cents for what it is worth from one New Yorker to another ( I was born and raised in queens NY, but also spent a lot of time in upstate NY in the middletown / Wurtsboro area)

I own an LT-10 now for about 3 years and absolutely love that little mill. Have had some pretty big diameter logs on it as well and it cut right through them like butter. First job i did with the mill paid off the entire cost of the mill, plus left we with a decent profit to boot.

It has been extremely reliable and not in need of any parts. very easy to adjust and maintain and the 10hp motor has always started on the first or second pull.

I have routinely been able to achieve the 160bf/hour rate Woodmizer advertises.

By chance, a year after I purchased my LT-10, I met an engineer from  Woodmizer that led the design team on the LT-10 and him and i have become good friends. He loves hearing about all the wood i have milled using it. I have since grown to know other Woodmizer employees and can tell you that they are all extremely nice tom deal with and very customer oriented.

Would not hesitate to buy an LT-10. If someone stole my LT-10 tonight, I would be on the phone ordering a replacement one from woodmizer in the morning. I would tell you to order it with the 10hp motor. I think the 7hp would get the job done, but it sure is nice to have the extra hp if you can afford it.

Looked at some of the mills made locally in your area and did not feel that they were as good as the LT-10.

Here are some pics of mill and wood it cut a few months back.

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: coolerat on November 17, 2014, 03:34:52 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on November 17, 2014, 10:12:16 AM
Welcome. ;D

Is being a Ken doll a good thing in this regard??

All depends on the degree of neutrality one is willing to accept. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!