iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawmill Chainsaw

Started by Magicman, March 25, 2019, 06:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

It is a handy saw.  good for inside the shop or for little cuts. or awkward positions.  thanks for the video.  I use mine camping so it is quiet and not a fire threat like a gas saw.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I now have some other work plus a week's sawmilling behind me using the new MS362.  Most of the logs were 22' so I did the bucking along with Bibbying one "too big" log.  Wow, it has the power to spare plus the "decompression" valve makes starting a breeze.  I have run well over a gallon of gas through it, so it should be getting "broken in".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Congratulations on the new saw! I bought an 036 about 20 years ago. It was the smallest pro saw at the time and has a compression release, but I've never used it. The saw runs great and has decent power with a 28" bar. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

My arthritic hand is what drove me to a new saw with the decompression valve.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Simple Jack

Sorry about your arthritic hand! Congrats on the new saw! I have a MS 290 and it's been a great saw for cut down a few small trees a year. A friend of mine wants to buy a saw and I was thinking about selling him mine and buying a new one. I was thinking about a new Still, but I don't want the m-tronic as well. I've seen a lot of great reviews on them. But I think I would just want to get one of the regular ones as well. I've never had to adjust my ms290. It's always seem to run and start great!  Fuel consumption? I don't care if they burn less fuel, I don't use all that much a year anyway. So the MS362 is the only one now that doesn't use the M-tronic? I might have to get one before they are all gone!!!

Magicman

The Stihl brochure shows the MS362C (59cc) not M-Tronic and the MS362C-M that is M-Tronic, both being Professional saws. 

The new MS311, also 59cc, is listed as a "Farm and Ranch" saw and has a decompression valve.  It also weighs 1.3 pounds more because no magnesium is used.  The MS311 is ~$200 less.

TreeStandHunter

We run 4 362's at work they have been great. Get used for several hours each day over last 2 seasons and have only required the bearing on the crankshaft replaces a few times each. Don't forget to check that bearing every few weeks, once they fail it will stall the saw at idle with the brake off.
In the process of building my own mill.

Magicman

Are they M-Tronic?  If not I wonder about the mix being used or whether they are leaned out a bit too much? 

If they are M-Tronic, then I wonder even more.  smiley_headscratch

Dave Shepard

TreeStsndHunter, are you talking about the bearing under the drive sprocket?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TreeStandHunter

Magicman

OK, that makes more sense and has nothing to do with the fuel mix.  "crankshaft" threw me off. 

Magicman

I thought that all Stihl chainsaws were made in the USA, but this one has this sticker:

Figured that I had better take a picture quick because it will soon wear off.  ::)

TreeStandHunter

How did it run for you? They seem to rev quite a bit higher than the older style saws.

YellowHammer

I've got a some standard commercial Stihls of various sizes, and an one M-Tronic.  The M-tronic seems to have more "snap", more response, and I like it.  Never had any trouble with it.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Sixacresand

Good looking saw, Magicman.  I trust it is light in weight, also.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

realzed

Quote from: Magicman on April 15, 2019, 09:03:15 PM
I thought that all Stihl chainsaws were made in the USA, but this one as this sticker:

Figured that I had better take a picture quick because it will soon wear off.  ::)
Pretty sure all of the Professional Stihl models are made in Germany!

farmfromkansas

If I had a battery powered saw, it would run out of power just before I got a tree cut through, and then would have to go plug the battery in and come back and find the tree fallen in the wrong direction. Hate to leave a tree standing, partially cut off.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!