iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cleanup

Started by slider, December 07, 2014, 04:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

It's cleanup time.One more big pile after this.
al glenn

Chuck White

What are you cleaning up, Slider?

Cleaning up after a sawjob, or just getting rid of a pile of slab & sawdust, limbs etc.

Looks like you're doing ok, got plenty of bare dirt around the fire, so not much chance of spreading.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Did you get a burn permit?  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Need to do the same here, waiting for the right time, been too windy here, that one looks like its going up good
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Seem like a waste of perfectly good BTU's, but its nice to be able to do it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

That is one of the reasons that I saw "portable'.  I do not have an area available to handle the slabs/sawdust.  I saw it and leave the mess for the customer to clean up and burn.

Frank, with an abundance of hardwood and the small amount of firewood needed, very few if anyone burns Pine slabs for firewood. 

Here a customer is burning slabs while I am sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

Chuck just cleaning up the log yard.slabs and sawdust from several saw jobs.

Permit #990986 smarty pants.
al glenn

slider

You are right Frank but I don't burn it all.The good stuff heats part of my house and the pool room.I would love to put together a kiln that uses wood waste.It is my understanding that pine can be dried that way.
al glenn

acrosteve

Quote from: Magicman on December 07, 2014, 08:21:56 AM
That is one of the reasons that I saw "portable'.  I do not have an area available to handle the slabs/sawdust.  I saw it and leave the mess for the customer to clean up and burn.

Frank, with an abundance of hardwood and the small amount of firewood needed, very few if anyone burns Pine slabs for firewood. 

Here a customer is burning slabs while I am sawing.

Seems a little sketchy that close to the phone cable.   :D
Timberking B-20

Magicman

QuoteSeems a little sketchy that close to the phone cable.   :D
That picture is depth deceiving.  Remember that I worked for 32+ years for a telephone co.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

THAT FIRE SURE LIGHTS UP THE SKY AT 4:48:42 AM.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

slider

It was lit up pretty good at 3.30 am when I got up to check on it David.I started to PM you and let you know that that red glow was not a UFO crash just east of you.
al glenn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: slider on December 07, 2014, 09:39:38 AM
It was lit up pretty good at 3.30 am when I got up to check on it David.I started to PM you and let you know that that red glow was not a UFO crash just east of you.

:D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DHEC / State of Georgia
Atlanta Office

Dear Mr. Slider,
We have attempted to locate your burn notification / permit number of : #990986
According to our records, said number was never issued and does not exist.
We have attempted to locate you for further action and have come to the conclusion that.......
   you do not exist.
Please accept our apologies.
We consider this matter closed.

Old Goat
Smoke Management Control
DHEC Atlanta Georgia

Small Slick

Quote from: Magicman on December 07, 2014, 08:42:27 AM
QuoteSeems a little sketchy that close to the phone cable.   :D
That picture is depth deceiving.  Remember that I worked for 32+ years for a telephone co.  ;D

The wife of a good customer cleaned out the shed and lit the burn pile right under the overhead wires to the house. So call the electrician on a Saturday to fix it. John.

Magicman

During my time working for the man, I saw many cables melted by burning brush piles.  :-\

kelLOGg

Before:

After:

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Peter Drouin

Then get paid  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

Al that's one way to keep warm in this long hard winter. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Larry

I had this really big slab pile because it was mostly pine, with a little cedar, and hardwood sprinkled in.  The slab hounds were turning up there noses.  The charcoal plant won't take pine and cedar has to be hid in with the hardwood.  Burn permits not issued in Arkansas so I was thinking I could get that special #990986 from south Georgia.  About a month ago an elderly couple (way older than me) showed up on my doorstep and wanted to know if they could have some slabs.  Sure, all you want.  I figured that would take a couple and I would never see them again.  Was I ever wrong.  They showed up almost everyday and hauled off the whole pile.  I felt bad they had no more to haul so I went down in the hollar and brought four or five loads up that I had dropped there.

Now get this.  The Misses made me a beautiful quilt in appreciation of me giving them slabs.  I couldn't believe it.  A payback 100 times over for what I did for them.

I've bundled hardwood slabs for a year now to make it easy to get rid of them.  Guess who gets first pick from here on out.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

drobertson

A chipper would be pretty handy, always planned on having one, but not yet, so this is the clean up on unsellable slabs,

final check just a few minutes ago, all is good, thankful for no wind and wet conditions
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Nice, but your missing the snow this time of year. :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red oaks lumber

this time of year we are sellin $400/ week in slabs :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

jmouton

hey slider ,  that looks like one of my regular  bonfires i have for  my parties i throw togather,,,nice one
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

stoverguy

The slab subject seems to come up from time to time. I'm pretty small and only cut when I get my hands on free logs, but piling up the slabs and burning them was always "extra work." I noticed several of the people on this site used the "free pile" approach so I thought why not I'll give it a try. I've probably set out 20+ forklift loads of slabs now. Species varies highly as I cut whatever I can get my hands on, but the longest a load has ever sat out was a day and a half. I couldn't believe it, one day I set a load out, went back to load another and the first one was already gone. People are hurting out there. This last weekend I set out a load of slabs and edging trim. An old gentleman with a van and a wheelchair lift stopped to pick up the load. Mostly cottonwood. I felt bad that I didn't have anything better to offer but he still came up to me to thank me. I know we end up with so much it seems worthless to us but if it isn't too much of an extra effort it is still worth something to someone. The most popular I set out is the Cedar because its already close to kindling. One fellow that stopped to pick up a pile of it was thrilled. He built birdhouses as a way to supplement his retirement. Bark on Cedar with one cut side was a godsend to him. Couldn't thank me enough.

Thank You Sponsors!