iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yet another What Saw Should I Get thread

Started by ManjiSann, September 12, 2019, 10:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManjiSann

I've called and left a message, called again and no response. At this point a wee bit of me is hopeful there's a really good reason but that part is kinda getting smaller. There's always a chance it'll still work out but my experience is if after 8 hours they haven't responded it's usually not going to happen. 

@lxskllr  I know! There was a Husky 395 (I think, it was one of the big boys) for sale for $500 not to long ago. Wish it was up now as I'd figure out how to pay for it!

@southside 

hahah I was waiting for something like that as it seemed too good to be true. I also like the one "I'm currently on an oil platform in the pacific with no internet access so please contact my broker at imafraudster@slimebag.com

@barbender

Nice find!

My plan is to do my own maintenance on my machines so I'm willing to risk a bit on a saw that's half priced but if as you say my half priced saw starts approaching the cost of a new one it'd be pretty sour. 

I almost got a Husky 50 for $10, non runner but for that price it would have been a great chance to tinker and learn. Sadly I was second in line and #1 took it. 

Bit of a bummer day in the deals department for me 0/2  :(

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

lxskllr

Craigslist? I've had a 0% success rate trying to buy anything from there. Nobody returns messages, ad stays up, and in one case, the price dropped to the amount I offered via text on the first ad  :^S  Bunch of flakes. I don't need to make time for that nonsense.

Southside

Just keep in mind that if you pick up an auto tune type of saw - you won't be doing much by yourself on it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ManjiSann

@lxskllr 

No it's KSL.com. 

It's a local paper that was here before Craigslist and so has a pretty big following in my local area. 

I've scored some pretty sweet deals off it in the past, got a nice nearly new Craftsman lawn mower for $50 and a really nice 2 stage snow blower for $100. Got both my Poulan chainsaws off KSL as well. It is doable.

It sucks when you get the message that someone else already got the item but at least you KNOW it's not there any more. But like you said, it's weird when contact breaks off or there's no contact and yet the ad stays up... reminds me of some of my internet dating experiences  :o :o

@Southside 

The Echo site doesn't say anything about whether it's autotune or not... I'm guessing not? I'd imagine with that being the new flavor of tech if it had it they would point it out.

Well I guess the search continues. As my wife said, it just means there's something else better waiting for me  8)

Brandon 

lxskllr

AFAIK, only Stihl(Mtronic) and Husqvarna(autotune) have computer controlled saws. IME, they work well, but when they don't, it'll require the help of a dealer. They have the software that can interface with them. I'm conflicted. I enjoy just pulling a cord, and having a saw run perfectly. I want to cut wood, not monkey around with carburetors, but I don't like being locked out of a system, and having to rely on someone else. That's anticonsumer behavior. Done right, the saws should have a usb port, and software should be available for purchase. Alternatively, they should come with an api so others can develop software for it.

Southside

We will never see the mfg allow access to the owner.  I was talking about this issue with my hired guy earlier today when we got done.  Ford wanted $125 for a diagnostic test on a vehicle still under warranty, said the testing was not part of the coverage, eventually they ate it, but we got to talking about how all these vehicles have internet and blue tooth today, there is zero reason you can not have a OBD type app on your phone and let the truck communicate the issue to the phone with no physical interface required.  It could even then send the info to the repair shop so they know what is coming in, what parts are needed, etc.  But that would eliminate a whole lot of annual $5K software subscriptions from being sold to the dealers and repair shops, just makes too much sense. 

From my own experiences the level of computer control in equipment has exceeded the capacity and reliability of the systems being installed that are needed to run the system.  Basic throttle body, EFI stuff is quite reliable in engines, but whole systems where multiple ECU's communicate to each other in industrial field equipment that now fly by wire don't stand up to the conditions they are exposed to day in and day out.  I don't want to bad mouth anyone here but I have one complicated piece of equipment that has rather frequent computer issues and it is a real hassle, not to mention a disappointment given the cost of this stuff today.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Southside, the non-autotune carb was certainly a factor in the purchase of this 390. It's not so much that I'm scared of the technology (I have an M-tronic Stihl ms261 that I like a LOT). If I went with an Auto-tune I probably would've stuck with the local dealer since there's a good chance I would've had to visit to get plugged into their computer software. 
Too many irons in the fire

btulloh

Not to get off the subject, but speaking to Southside's ODB2 rant:  There are a couple nifty OBD2 / Bluetooth readers out there that communicate with a phone app.  The one I have works pretty well and is reasonably priced.  Your point is valid that the capability could be built-in and provide comprehensive info, but the auto dealer service game wouldn't like that.  

Maybe some day there'll be something the owners can get for the autotune saws, but for now we're stuck.  So far I'm liking the m-tronic, but I don't like the idea  that I'm closed out from dealing with the saw myself.
HM126

btulloh

OBD2 / Bluetooth device:  OBDLink MX+

Now they need to make one for m-tronic saws.
HM126

lxskllr

I think this is the one I use...

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=pd_cp_263_3?pd_rd_w=KSLdP&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=8V12ZARGR27PB5WH6QPY&pd_rd_r=b13d04c2-59d3-466f-a2dd-12694c0ca8de&pd_rd_wg=2zcJu&pd_rd_i=B005NLQAHS&psc=1&refRID=8V12ZARGR27PB5WH6QPY

and this software for my android...

AndrOBD | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

I use it more than I should. My truck's getting worn out, and it gets temporary glitches that sometimes affect operation. Clearing the fault codes fixes it up for a couple months til I need to do it again  :^D

There should definitely be something similar for the saw. It should be illegal to sell a tool, and withhold the information it takes to fix it.

Nebraska

If we don't buy the electronicly controlled stuff they won't sell it. I swear I saw a 1/4 in  18 volt impact  driver that came with some 
Controlling phone app. I guess if you hire millenials to help they ...... ok off that rant...... (insert hand held  electronic device comment).... as i sit on this tablet  on Sunday morning before I go into the office a bit ... I just had a mental picture of the Terminator movie series  machines taking over and I want to think for myself not being directed, persuaded electronically.   I'm blessed to be able to hear well enough I can listen to the motor and turn the little screws myself.  Buy old and fix,  to a point. 
Why do you need to reinvent the wheel. New saws aren't much different than the old blue homelike xl Dad taught me to run when I was twelve, at least in function.... safety we are better today, weight and balance are better, durability maybe,  vibration control definitely.  Keep looking a good saw or six will show up, this  thread  poked a little sore spot  mostly related to vehicle electronics. 

ManjiSann

In an effort to not leave a thread hanging for future readers, here's the link to the thread of which saw I actually bought  8) 8)

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=107802.0

Check it out if you're curious how the ride goes

Brandon 

Thank You Sponsors!