iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wet Bolt Trailer Kit

Started by Magicman, March 24, 2017, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I spent today adding "wet bolts" and torsion rockers to the 5th Wheel Trailer.  This is an RV, but the same goes for any tandem or tri axle trailer.  One problem is the nylon bushings with no means of lubrication.

The rebuild kit comes with two sets of the hardware shown above. 

This trailer has ~6k miles on it and a couple of the nylon bushing had worn completely through.

The first thing was to remove all of the old hangers, etc.  Here you see that the bronze bushings have been installed into the spring eyes.

And bronze bushings into the other spring eyes.

The spring has been reattached with a greasable "wet bolt".

Here the springs have been reattached with the torsion rocker and greasable wet bolts.

A close up view.

The torsion rocker is designed to provide a smoother ride with less bounce, plus the wet bolts and bronze bushing should allow for many trouble free miles.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

newoodguy78

No doubt that was time and money well spent. I'm a big fan of grease fittings. I like the torsion rockers as well. I've never seen them I'm curious as to how they hold up for you, certainly seems like a good idea.

LeeB

Next time you should jack up the trailer instead of turning it upside down. That way you won't fall off.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Woodhauler

You didn't use enough never seize, its not all silver everywhere!!!!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

newoodguy78

I didn't think it was possible to use never seize without turning everything silver myself. :D Every time I get near the stuff the project I'm working on ends up streaked in silver and my hands could be mistaken for those of the tin man in the wizard of oz. It's great stuff just can't seem to be able to figure out how to use it cleanly.

Ox

Neversieze for the win! 
I remember when all the old stuff had a grease fitting or oil cup on everything that moved.
This looks like a worthwhile upgrade for others to consider.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Czech_Made

Nice job!

I replaced spring bushings on my CJ7 - never an easy task.

whitepine2

Why o Why don't they do it right the first time? I know it saves time and money but why produce junk when it could have been done right the first time. I would be willing to pay more and get it done right,I
would like to see stainless steel break lines on all MV's as well how much extra would it cost?

Magicman

Yup, what a web we weave.  That kit cost me a bit less than $200.  When the trailer frame was built I doubt that it would have raised the cost $100, but the RV builder would have had to order it that way.  This in turn would have raised the RV selling price that amount.  Had I known I would have gladly ordered it that way, but it's almost impossible to get ahead of the curve.  I would not have even known about the wet bolts had I not read about them on an RV Forum.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DelawhereJoe

Job security...you buy it, then it brakes and you take it back to them for repairs. Why would they want to sell you something your not going to have trouble with. Take the Porsche Boxster for example just to change the spark plugs you have to drop the motor out of the car, literally unbolt the motor and remove it out of the car. I'm almost thinking the auto tune and m-tronic will be the same way.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

newoodguy78

Now that you've got some miles on your upgrade, how they holding up?
Good thing you didn't come to the northeast in frost heave season or they'd really be getting a workout  :D

Magicman

There is always highway construction/repairs going on so the spring hangers are getting a workout.  I will do a mini-disassembly & inspection when we get home and give an evaluation, but there will certainly be less wear than with the original nylon bushings.

Thank You Sponsors!