iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reclaiming a Woodland Pond

Started by Jeff, July 08, 2021, 07:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb616

Quote from: mike_belben on July 15, 2021, 01:45:58 PM
Years ago a friend said a chainsaw is a deer's dinner bell and i didnt quite believe or understand until i did it for myself.  One of my greatest satisfactions to bump a daytime doe 15 feet from the features ive created for them by "killing" the ecosystem with my evil saw.

Great work jeff.
In Upper Michigan it (chainsaw) is referred to as a "UP Deer Call". 

DMcCoy

Nice work!  I've done cattail root removal before.  That is a lot of work(!)
A muskrat moved in and despite warnings I let it be.  The moderate bank damage was a trade off I was willing to make, for all the cattails it removed. 
Looks great!

Jeff

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 16, 2021, 08:52:21 PM
 Now I am starting to feel like I made a mistake not following you up on Sunday for a quick look.
Yes you did! :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ed

I have 3 natural gas pipelines 1/4 mile behind my house. 2 at 30" and 1 at 24". Years ago DTE never maintained their easment.
One day l came home from work to a sound I had never heard before. It was the sound of mass destruction
They were clearing 30 years of neglect from the pipeline.

It was my first introduction to the machine from hell....a Hydro Axe.

Nothing stood in its way, complete destruction.

Ed

thecfarm

Nice looking pond you have there now.
I've done a lot of land clearing around here. I found out a lawn mower works the best to get things back to grass. Yes I have a bush hog, but on uneven ground it can be digging in on one side and up in the air a foot on the other side. Than a bush hog can go no lower than 3-4 inches either. A push lawn mower can get much lower. I call them my mini bush hogs.  ;D  ::) I get a year out of one I am doing good. But as much as you have to do a bush hog would be much better for you. Maybe do certain area with a mini bush hog. I use to do a lot with a weed whacker too. Those do a very nice job too, but take a lot of time. Keep at it, and mean keep at it and often too and the grass will come back. I have claimed back woods and the grass seed is there. Can't sit back and say I will do it next week either. Once the grass comes back, it does get easier. Takes about 5 years of hard work and time, but it is worth it.
And yes on the chain saw is like a dinner bell to deer around here too. As I said, I see more deer when I am driving my tractor than when I am just walking around. Them deer to not fear the tractor. They know that means food. With snow on the ground, the deer really understand that. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Jeff

Ljohnsaw

Sawyer is such a help with the rake! :D  Wish I had a year round pond.  I have a seasonal one about that size where my property is in about 1/8 of it.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

That Sawyer, is a relentless companion. :D

SwampDonkey

Don't fall in. If the mud bottom spring fed ponds out there are like here, the leeches move in. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

That pond is cold, and has a hard. Slick but slightly mucky bottom with rocks in it. No leaches. Its not on video but I spent over 8 hrs over two days in it rooting up and removing all the cattails I could find. I had over 12hrs of video to get anything even a bit interesting to make that short video. Lots of slogging around working. If there was leaches, id of got one.

mike_belben

Heck of a job you did jeff. Dogs seem to approve.
Praise The Lord

farmfromkansas

Need to post that video on Yellow Hammer's tree trimmer thread.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Jeff

21incher

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

One year later, I have a Froggy Hilton!

Walnut Beast

trimguy

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

21incher

I love our little  pond this time of the year.  So many frogs singing their hearts  out that is a very  relaxing music. It's  black with  tadpoles now and the Heron are stopping  in for a quick meal.  8)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

I put a camera on ours yesterday to see what I might catch. It's just below a rise enough that we can't see the water from the cabin.

Jeff

So this weekend, my son Jeremy came up the cabin to help me install a cellular phone signal booster. While he was on the roof, I was working cultivating some soil to add to another raised bed, and I turned up a nice fat worm. On a whim,  I hollered at Jeremy and said we should grab one of the fish poles on the porch and throw a line in our little old pond. So we did! No one has ever tried this before, in all these years
OMG!!!! Were we ever surprised what happened next! Luckily I had my cellphone camera videoing to record what happened!!
On a whim, we threw in a fishing line. This was living and BREEDING in our pond!! - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!