iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preventative Medicine

Started by mike_belben, November 02, 2021, 10:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradMarks

Being raised with the "you are what you eat" conditioning, it is the best medicine available to stay healthy. I do take ibuprofen occasionally when aches and pains become too much (many surgeries - elbow, back to name a couple).  But no other meds or dietary supplements. 

HemlockKing

Will be interesting in another 20 or so years when we see the long effects of all these people drinking 2-3 red bulls everyday and Dorito chips everyday. Mostly don’t drink water either so all their water comes through those drinks. I sort of think life expectancy might have peaked around now and is going to go down a bit… maybe not though 
A1

mike_belben

life expectancy has started to decline.  and we have a new first. malnourished obese people. so massively overweight, and deficient in basic nutrients. 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Land of blueberries and bog cranberries up here. Grandfather and I used to go to the burnt lands, after about 5 years when the bushes were all matured enough and find an old spruce stump beside a bunch of tall bushes and fill a 3 gallon pale all around that stump. That was on rain days, dry days we were trout fishing. :D

There's a 3rd berry in that group, the creeping snowberry. About tiniest leaves and flowers of any fruit you'll fine. Berries the size of a wild blueberry though. Too meticulous and sparse to pick though, but good berries.  Scale is in inches.

Look how tiny the flowers are. :D :D Barely 1/16".
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

I never knew the science behind it but I knew blueberry were a super food or a "anti toxin" as what I was told, I can eat blueberries by the fist full and I can not stop until they are all gone, anyone else have this problem ? lol 
A1

Southside

My bigger concern is what happens after you eat all of those berries. Especially the really big, juicy, tasty, wild Blackberries that grow along ponds in western Oregon that are a long, very uncomfortable walk away from the picnic area facilities. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

They never bother me.. I eat tons of blackberries around the yard.  

Its anti-oxident. Theyre full of all sorts of good stuff.  Polyphenols, flavinoids and other sciency mumbo jumbo
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

I juice a lot of berries:blackberry, raspberry, black elder, concord grape, Canada plum and even rhubarb. Cracked open another bottle of rhubarb yesterday. 8)

My uncle used to say, "You suppose it's the fruit"? Think about it. ;)

Uncle was a character and a half. He could get the most sour faced human to laugh. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

I have blackberries, little wild blueberries and elderberry here. Plus wild lettuce.   I aim to continually increase production and use of them all going forward. 
Praise The Lord

newoodguy78

Wild lettuce? Never heard of it. Is it something that is in the northeast too? To be honest I'm not as buffed up on native plants as I wanna be but working on it. 

HemlockKing

Yup, I got "wild lettuce" too  ;D ;D :D
A1

doctorb

My brother is a botanist.  I'll have to ask him about that stuff!  Very cool!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

I forget the species, but it's actually a problem at some tree seedling nurseries up here. It takes over the containers. I've had some spruce seedling containers with them covered in the stuff. It's the Borg. Deer will eat it. It's a lichen on most any mature red maple up here. :D

But wild lettuce that Mike is talking about is a true plant, not a lichen. We probably have 3 species of it up here, including rattlesnake root and tall white lettuce. They are in the aster family.

mike_belben

lactuca seriola aka prickly lettuce will give you lots of images.  its got a milky latex inside that blocks pain receptors like dope without being addictive or getting you high.  you want the milk.  put some vodka in a mason jar and go around to the ones youve identified in the brushy weedy regen line, tear or scissor off leaf and stalk chunks and toss them in quick.  the plant bleeds more at each chop and thats what youre after. it wouldnt be as effective to grab big pieces or to try storing a plant. later summer when the thing has flowering is highest production.  i have probably a hundred of them in my yard head high from demo fill dirt. prolific seeder, itll cover a field easy. 

i keep the jar of medicine booze in the freezer and pour a splash into whatever beverage when my fused spine is hurting me. works good, better than just booze. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

i think lactuca canadensis is the other variety.  there are two common prickly lettuces and probably similar quality in many other plants milk.  southside has one i cant remember for itch or bee sting.. was it dandelion ?  ribwort plantain?
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Just don't juice milkweed, or it may be your last trip. :D :D :D Indian hellebore, same. My uncle used to call it skunk cabbage, but it's not. We don't have skunk cabbage in NB. I've seen it in BC though, peculiar plant.

Baneberry to, and not advised to even try. They have glossy berries, a white and a red variety. The white ones look like small eye balls. :D

Up this way, jewel weed (aka spotted touch-me-knot) cures stinging nettles. They usually grow together, which is good. :D But I picked fiddleheads one time along a river and didn't realize it was nettles between the road and them ferns, that was head high. I burned for 3 days, it's like you're a pin cushion with needles prick'n ya. :D

Southside

Broadleaf Plantain. Instantly stops insect pain, bees and cattle forage on it too. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

My area has one of the highest age expectancy(quite a few cenitarians), along the south shore, I attribute it to the omegas fattys from all the fish we eat, because everyone has it. I don't even half to pay for haddock or lobster, I can get it free from family that work the plants.
A1

SwampDonkey

I blame it on genetics, diet and medicine, in that order. Without blood pressure pills a lot of them would be dead. :D But good nutrition helps keep away the nasty stuff with a C, certainly improve your chances. ;) Mom's 77 and never took a pill up until 2 years ago and a low dose one. Dad's uncles on grandmother's side all right up there, one over 100. My oldest relatives still kicking around in their late nineties are on that side of the family. But my aunt (by marriage) up the hill is around 92, living at home with assisted living with a grandson and his wife. Lots of widow women here in their nineties. There is an old school teacher still alive down town, taught my father and I had her in grade 4. She's outlived a lot of her students. Those orange peelings she always ate in class was her secret. :D Old Gert up the road was over 100, I seen that old woman in her 80's paint her two story farm house. She was tough. Lots of garlic, window in the bedroom up in winter and stove down stairs just a glowing hot. ;D She had her whole building lot full of perennial flowers, there was no lawn, just flowers and paths. :D I never knew anyone that didn't love old Gert and her flowers. She was a hoot. Good memories.

HemlockKing

SD, garlic has been used for century's even longer as a natural medicine, believe it to help with inflammation mostly. I diced up a couple cloves with my tuna sandwiches
A1

mudfarmer

dock/yellow dock/some relatives are also good for soothing nettle itch and they often grow near each other

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!