calcium
Vitamin C
potassium
manganese
magnesium

8) 8) 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed_K

Blue berries an Maple Syrup   ;) .
Ed K

mike_belben

William Davis - Germs, Muscle, and Pac-Man: Exciting New Concepts in... - YouTube

this guy is a cardiologist, and the creator of "wheatbelly" educational series.  basically his story is people are coming to him on the brink of heart failure and he cant do anything because theyre also diabetic, so first he has to cure the diabetic condition which is obviously nutritional/dietary.  

this vid above is about a lot of things, most prominent is the scientific evidence of massive health benefits not just from cutting wheat, grain and sugar (the wife and i are also about to remove all seed oils to get her MS and my arthritis under control) but of adding lactobacillus rhuetari from home made yogurt as a growth culture.  

the guy is an advocate for self care, and is not at all a fan of pharma or what western medicine is doing for chronic illness.  he also has the nerve to call out by a name a group of harvard medical doctors and the american heart association for advocating all the worst things for us.  thats how i found him.  ive been studying research literature for months on all sorts of conditions now and a broad consensus is coming to light on lots of dietary evils, that  the AHA and harvard always seem to be advocating.  digging into the AHA makes it pretty clear theyre just a trusted advertising agency.  you want their stamp on your wheat product, just pay the fee. im taking it as a sign of what not to eat these days.  their cash donor list is filled with pharma money. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Claire Fraser - The Human Gut Microbiome in Health and Disease - YouTube

this one starts slow but covers a lot of ground, from university of maryland i believe.  

so we are trying to make the leap off of grains but its not easy.  what has been easy is broadening my intestinal biodiversity by feeding my gut tons of hippie things that i wasnt raised on.  mom left when i was little and dad was working his tail off so it was an industrial processed for life for me. i have never ever had problems digesting this, and i can eat anything.  no allergies and am healthy at a glance though not the wiry stud i was out of bootcamp that id like to be.  my heartrate gets as low as 55, my labs are flawlessly centered in the midrange, and everything organ wise is great.  bp, cholesterol, testosterone, thyroid, blood sugar.. all excellent at 42.  but my joints are all pain all the time.   i am becoming convinced that its not just injury and wear, but an intestinal dysbiosis from that lifetime of crap "food" causing inflammation in every joint.  ive got spurs and stenosis and degenerated discs and torn tendons and fat knuckles just like grandma.  its getting harder to work hard every year and im trying to make a change while itll still count, with all this new info.

have been flirting off of grains and sugar and will feel pretty good.  i also noticed after quitting most caffeine and all coffee, switching to a variety of junk in a hot cup of tea, i get more done.  i dont feel any kind of boost.. just that i look back at the end of a long day and suprise, theres 2 days of work done and i didnt need a pot of coffee to do it. or pee 35 times.

so the vid i just linked im pretty sure is the one that explains humans cannot digest fiber.  but the bacterias living in your large intestine can.  they can convert fiber into something blood soluble that benefits the host.  if you dont have this bacteria, fiber will blow right out of you.  if you do have this bacteria and you stop feeding it fiber, it will eat the mucous layer that protects your epithelial lining and this is a component in many peoples GI issues.  so eat fiber.  

i know that things are changing in my gut because before a few prunes and id have to visit the can.  other day i ate had to be 20 of those delicious things and didnt even fart. so all of a sudden fiber is staying in me and being converted to nutrient. i take it to mean i have increased the microbial colony that is designed for fibrous digestion.  the first few months of raising chickens i slowly worked them up to eating almost nothing but fermented greens.  not all of them did well on it at first but in time the ones that are left have done great.

now when i go back to eating normal .. just whatever, a big pile of that bread, granola, saltines, cereal, especially some boxed up processed rice saucey dinner side.. i actually feel it kinda uncomfortably parked in my stomach.  something has changed because i was raised on that junk and it now gives discomfort. which is good since it makes it easier to turn down i guess.  the inflammation of grains and vegetable oils is now very clear to me.  if i avoid them i hurt less and my gut is unnoticeable.  eat it and awareness of something not feeling good comes creeping in. then a knee or knuckles or whatever will keep me up with pain. turns out chronic inflammation is shared in almost every incurable disease we are plagued with as a nation.  stress and inflammation, both killers. 

the cost of eating right in winter when the garden is down and i dont have any stores left is really depressing, i will up my canning and freezing game this summer.  lot of work and time but id like to think a day will come when i can say the effort to change was worth it. just avoiding heroin has given me a pretty big advantage over far too many of my deceased contemporaries so the bar is getting lower on longevity im afraid.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Scholarly paper on how inflammation works, how NSAIDs work, and alternative anti-inflammatory foods.

Natural anti-inflammatory agents for pain relief

Mind you i suggest that the foods be your primary cure.  NSAIDs are bad on your kidneys, stomach and intestine.  Dietary fiber is critical to keep intestinal bacteria from eating your mucosal lining and causing inflammation.

In the short term NSAIDs will block inflammation and make sense for an accident injury or tooth removal, but long term chronic use will promote inflammation and other problems.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

a note for myself here. 

For probably about 10 days now ive eaten really "clean" as organic foodies tend to say.  Nothing processed, no vegetable oils, no grains, corn syrup, cane sugar or fake sugar.  No caffeine either.  I have eaten my fill of deer stew, eggs, sausage, real fruits and veggies.  Tons of fiber, lots of honey, milk and water.  

Digestion is excellent, and my joint pains were the best i can remember in the last decade.  2 days in a row i had salad with ranch made from canola oil.. And my right knee is absolutely killing me for no other reason i can come up with.  
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

Soluble fiber also helps to slow the absorption of sugar into the blood and moderate/improve blood sugar levels. First heard about this from a book -- "The Sugar Solution" The Sugar Solution: Weight Gain? Memory... book by Ann Fittante The synopsis there makes it seem like a self help book with the whole "An easy-to-follow, drug-free program that can bring blood sugar into balance in just one month." thing, maybe it was I really don't remember but at the very least it had solid and helpful info like "soluble fiber helps to moderate blood sugar levels", info about glycemic index, and it has never hurt me yet to read a book.

mike_belben

Ive read the same story about blood sugar and fiber but im not sure how the system works.  

Gave blood few days ago and heart rate was 52.  HGL and BP were great. 

Took 2 acetominophen for my knee this morning and it cleared up in 20 mins. 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Some health books are good (I can't name any) , and some are scams for book revenue, like Trudeau's. Pretty much the only remedy he reveals is cider vinegar, after reading 100's of pages. He mentioned coconut oil a time or two, but sorry to disappoint, that was debunked a long time ago. It's nothing but dehydrogenated coconut (veg) oil. Any veg oil turned into a block of white soap isn't any good. Then he went on to write a book on financial independence. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

i prefer to watch medical lectures at conferences where everyone there is a doctor and a quack with a sales pitch would be walked out the side door.  when a group of doctors extend an invitation to a doctor to lecture to them at an event i consider it a form of peer review.  

the same in soil biology.  when youve got guys who are 20, 30, 40 years into doing what commercial ag says cant be done without buying their product, and they invite someone as a keynote speaker.. thats the crowd i wanna listen to.  i havent done it im not a doctor or a farmer, but if they all have then i trust their vetting.  they wouldnt fly across the country attending conventions to listen to morons when there is a serious business to run back home.

Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Yeah, for the most part that is safer than one guy preaching to a laymen audience. For which PBS is known for in the past. James Randi pulled support of PBS when too much quackery was given an audience during fund raisers. :D

mike_belben

i guess ive been eating really "clean" for 2 weeks now.  tons of fruits and veggies, vitamins, minerals, fish oil and now krill oil at nebraskas suggestion.  no grains, no processed anything, i dont think any cane sugar or corn syrup, avocado has been the only oil. a tremendous diversity of food, although i am getting into some boredom as i run out of creativity/time lately.  

anyways i dont feel like im 20 yet, but i do know i am feeling better. less joint pain and swelling, maybe a little better sleeping. i think i mentioned the ranch dressing incident (vegetable oil) where my knee was hurting significantly right after.  it has not returned once i got strict again.

i got over the grain craving hump for the most part by 8 days in or so and have felt more satisfaction between meals.  previously satisfaction was "i feel full, time to stop eating" not that i was eating chips soda candy etc.. but i could crush a whopper or footlong sub or 2 ham n cheese sandwiches at home and 3 hours later ready to do it again.  pretty much always hungry.  i dont feel all that hungry anymore.  which is almost strange because after a lifetime of doing it, you just eat out of habit. i never stop moving and have never been a fat guy, 5'11 tall 190 to 200.  i wear 36s but was a 34inch waist out of bootcamp so ive not gone too far off track at 42 though id love to be 180 and in 34s again. 

so yesterday i finally said i know how eating right feels.  lets experiment again with eating wrong and see if this is all in my head or if its for real. i ate one sandwich.  double decker processed meat mayo.. normal sandwhich.  starting about a half hour later, my upper abdomen kinda hurt.  not a sharp pain, not rumbling or gassy or any of that.  just a low level discomfort that causes mental awareness of ones guts. that i am used to feeling.  all my life is has been known as "hunger."  

oh man, i gotta eat or im gonna be sick is how i always answered this feeling.  so i went from so hungry i feel sick, to full, to back to so hungry i feel sick.  for as long as i can remember anyways.  i know now that it is not hunger.  i hadnt noticed it missing until now, because this came on right after eating and was defintely a case of digesting something unpleasant.  

another piece of the puzzle is urine color.  the only time ive peed clear in my life for extended periods of time was bootcamp.  they fed us industrial food and a decent amount of it but you were hungry every minute because it was such an intense life for every minute of 13 weeks.  double rations wouldnt have been enough.  anyways, we all whizzed right past each other in those stainless wall troughs elbow to elbow in a frenzy any second they let us, which was rare, and if one dude wasnt drinking enough water 5 recruits were calling him out on it.  but this was only accomplished by forcing a tremendous volume of water into us.  an amount no one can really hold, you always had to pee. 

so when eating really well, i am hydrating pretty good but not much different than normal, and yet i am whizzing pretty close to clear.  2 extra glasses of water and itd be clear.  

well when i ate that sandwich, back to my normal yellow almost immediately. that tells me one sandwich has plenty of stuff the body says uht uh mister... thats a toxin, we dont want it. 

today, back to pale almost clear without any substantial water addition. 

my hemoglobin went from 15.7 (aug 2020) to 16.7 (jun 2021) to 18.3 this week.  i am hoping the doc will send me for the same extensive fasting labs i had in 2020 for a comparison.  the jun2021 labs had a few things out of range, low ferritin at 33, slightly high cholesterol at 205 and LDL cholesterol at 134. slightly low alkaline phosphate was 33.  back in 2020 my random non fasting glucose was 101.  

be interesting to see the changes that come from a brief exclusion of processed foods. 

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

forgot to include my 2020 labs were a few months after i quit trucking which was excessive road food despite my best efforts to keep fruits and tuna and stuff well stocked, tough without a fridge. 

my resting heart was 67 (highest of my life) and BP was 123/86

that page is missing on my fasting lab from 2021

blood donation this week i had a BP of 117/82 and a 52 resting heart rate which is a few thumps lower than most of my life.  ive always been a 60 or less. 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

During winter, I have dinner at noon here and never eat bread with a dinner meal, unless its a biscuit with beans. ;D  Hard to eat a sandwich without bread, and that is usually for supper, most times peanut butter between with the real oil in it. And sometimes a slice of ham with pepperoni, all minimally processed and not full of a lot of chemicals. Never yet figured out why plain stuff costs more than stuff full of big long chemical names. :D :D  Breakfast is a grain cereal and fruit, both fresh and dried. Doing good. And also, exercise from walking or snow shoeing. Been mostly walking 4 miles, snow conditions have been poor for shoes.

Got the grow tent going and stuff is up, soon be eating fresh greens. Lettuce is old seed and slow coming. Everything else going gang busters, just planted Friday.

mike_belben

as my wife shakes worse and loses tremendous amounts of hair with every shower, i am forced to dig deeper and deeper into the human immune system, disease, microbiome and DNA/genome on my own because the medical system has zero solution for her unravelling.  they just refer you to someone else who is booked for 4 months and they dont help you either. 

sooner or later i think most of you readers are gonna find yourself or someone you love in the same boat due to the western diet and the sweeping activation of covid.  if you are silently reading along with me, two names you cannot afford to neglect are Dr Ken Ford down in pensacola, founder of the IHMC which is on the absolutely leading edge of figuring this mess out... and Dr larry smarr who is a supercomputer astrophysicist nerd who got sick himself and seems to be making the connections.  terry wahls is another doctor who got sick and cured herself. 

hang in there and dont lose hope.
Praise The Lord

snobdds

Stay away from seed oils:

Soybean
Corn
Cottonseed
canola
rapeseed
sunflower
sesame
grapeseed

Stick to

Animal fats
Butter
Coconut oils
Olive Oil
Avocado Oil

SwampDonkey

I'd scratch coconut oil from that list. ;D

Hilltop366

I watched a British show a year or two ago that tested different oils and their health benefits or harms, although I don't remember all the technical terms and some of the specific oils and fats I do recall that a basic rule of thumb was that if in it's natural state it was a solid at room temperature it was better for cooking and if it was a liquid at room temperature it should not be used for cooking. An example was that olive oil was good for you in its natural state how ever if used for cooking it not only lost its health benefits it was harmful to your health where the excessive consumption of animal fat (lard) was harmful it was ok to use for cooking.

I will try to come up with the name of the show.

A personal observation of some people diagnosed with MS or MS type symptoms that I know is that a lot seem to fall into categories of occupation that include the frequent use of solvents, thinking of a few guys I know, one did lots of auto body repair/painting over the years (ever notice there are not many old auto body repair people out there) another did furniture stripping and refinishing, another did a lot of wood finishing and lawnmower repair.

Also I will add that I was reading a news article recently that was talking about a possible connection between the virus that causes mono and MS.

mike_belben

The seed oil issue is the ratio of omega 6 (inflammatory) to omega 3 (anti inflammatory).  We are avocado oil and backyard lard at present.

My right knee tells me when ive found something bad now.  ranch/mayo (corn oil) do it consistently.

My wife started having symptoms of MS after covid.  Well. Severe symptoms. It took quite a few more months to get a diagnosis of "a demyelinating disease" from vanderbilt.  Anyways covid seemed to distinctly turn the issues on one after another, lots of them. In hindsight the subtle symptoms came before covid but i wasnt paying attention.

Researchers at osaka iirc correlated disease activation to viral infection around 2008 i believe.  

Chronic inflammation is at the heart of all these diseases, and western diet is extremely inflammatory thanks to omega 6 about 20x too high on average.  Not everyone gets sick enough to do anything about it, just gets old.  this appears to involve the DNA as well as microbiome inherited mostly from mom at birth. I dont grasp it but can recite that cytokines interluekin 17 and TH17 are involved and i guess this can be mapped by dna analysis now.  

The bacterial dominance of MS is also different from healthy guts and the same as other MS patient samples.  Gut bacteria definitely involved somehow.

I dont think its entirely hereditary. the environment appears to contribute to microbiome disbiosis as well.  I think my wifes medical job which forces continual hand sanitizing is not helping her at all with that.  If you kill the good bacteria with long term sanitizers, antibiotics, boozing etc you give the bad a foothold to proliferate. And it produces low level toxin.

Another factor is dietary fiber and epithelial mucosa in the gut.  Low fiber leaves the fiber loving microbes to eat the mucus lining which triggers an immune response.  Then theres the "tight junctions" of the gut lining that i guess also may play a role.  Its a lot for a normal schlub to sort out for himself.  Makes my head hurt.  

I have hope that scientists are on the brink of discoveries that lead to healing. 
Praise The Lord

Mooseherder

I hope she finds relief soon Mike.

Hilltop366

The name of the show is "Trust me i'm a doctor series 4 episode 3" unfortunately I the only copy I can find is not complete, it ends at ¾ of the way through the show, it also has a glare to it that looks like someone recorded off of a TV.  

mike_belben

Thanks moose.  I really hope so.

If you wanna see someone get a disease started in a month watch supersize me.  Guy gets inflamed day by day, you get to see him just inflate and get ill.  Thats corn oil's 46:1 omega 6 to 3 ratio. 
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Dang when did that even come out 15 years ago? I remember watching it and it did lower my rotten ronnies appetite
A1

mike_belben

Been a spell.  2000s i guess

I do miss whoppers.  Not had one in months.  To be sure i wouldnt, i gave my $25 BK card to some scabby meth head carrying all his posessions in trashbags on a rainy day.  I told him he could ride in the cab and he kinda looked at me and said ehh.  Ill ride in the bed.  

I guess he thought i was the crazy one  :D
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!