The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Covid isn't the only game in town  (Read 3507 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Covid isn't the only game in town
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2021, 06:31:11 AM »
John, if you are less than 10 days of beginning of symptoms, they can give you monoclonal antibody infusion, that gives you neutralizing antibodies.  so yes, the is a treatment.  If you are immunized and or have had the disease, you will prob. be fine.  the antibody treatment can stop the cellular spread and cut the course short if you get it soon enough.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2021, 02:02:13 PM »
if you are less than 10 of beginning of symptoms

I don't understand that statement.  Can you clarify?
the antibody treatment can stop the cellular spread and cut the course short if you get it soon enough.
That's just it.  When is "soon enough"?  I understand you need to wait for there to be enough to detect, but all the online places want to hold off for 3-5 days from onset.  Maybe because I have 2 vacs, I'm good to wait a while longer?

Edit:  I re-read.  I think you mean less than 10 DAYS.  So getting the monoclonal treatment has to be in the first 10 days?  Man, I felt like crap the 2nd day!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2021, 02:48:01 PM »
sorry I worked all night, so it made sense to me. :)  yes, the monoclonal needs by rules to be in the first 10 days of symptoms.  takes a few hours, even though the infusion is 20 minutes.  It has to sit a while after being mixed, and you are observed for an hour after infusion.  It stops the cell to cell spread of the virus by covering the spike protein with an antibody so it cannot attach.  same sort of antibody you would get with the vaccine or the disease covid.  sooner is better as fewer cells get infected.  soon enough is that you do not get as sick or die.  rule is before you are hypoxic, or in the hospital from covid.  If the Omicron is mild enough, we may stop monoclonals after it predominates in our county.  still delta here.
here is data from Sedgwick County (Wichita 45 miles away) vs reno county where I live and work now.

I hope the new Omicron is a cold. we have been overwhelmed daily.  we see on average 60 patients in 24 hours throughout the year.  We 104 in the past 24 hours not counting the dozen who got up and left after waiting for hours.  same number of rooms and staff.  so, we promote giving the Monoclonal, so you and others do not end up coming to see us.  this is how we eat.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2021, 03:00:22 PM »
if you do a home test, or at a little clinic, you may not be told about, and they may not know about the monoclonal.
there is some evidence that getting it after you are really sick may flog the immune inflammatory response and make you sicker, just like early steroid put you at high risk, and only help after your lungs are splotchy with pneumonitis.

edit: thanks, I added the word "days" to my prev. comments.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2021, 04:50:51 PM »
Thanks Doc for all you have done.  I don't  know  how you keep going.  My wife  just found  out a good friend  of ours has the covid pneumonia talked about here.  Younger then me was in good health fully vaccinated with  a booster.  Has been in ICU for 3 weeks and they now say he will survive and go to rehab in about 2 weeks. It's  at the point where just about  everyone  I know  has had or died from covid.  I sure hope there is a end in sight soon. Thanks again  for all you do Doc Henderson. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2021, 01:08:03 AM »
Well, my test results are in and I tested positive.  Not a big surprise.  The "new" protocol is quarantine until all 3 items can be checked.
1) 5 days passed since onset (was 10 yesterday),
2) no fever for past 24 hours with no meds and
3) symptoms are reducing. 
So tomorrow marks 5 days and the other 2 I pass so I guess I'm out of quarantine tomorrow?

My daughter never got tested but her onset was a few days before me so she is probably clear by now.  My son is about 2 days behind me.  I got him a test scheduled for Monday (the earliest at any testing site around here).  But he will probably be all better by then.

So, we were all double vaxed and it looks like that made it quick to pass but for a day or two pretty bad flu-like.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2021, 03:06:24 AM »
How long did it take to get a test John? I know it is up to 3 days here. And in Maine they are saying 5 days after symptoms. I just read that on one of the state's websites.
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2021, 07:15:21 AM »
Hey Doc, some of us already know how you "eat" in a hospital.  :D It can be seriously funny to screw up a simple hamburger as they manage to accomplish, until it's not.
 That said, during my entire work life of many, many situs, the only ones where people brought me food were my Momma and some farmers wife's, and the military did sometimes. Mostly I ate out of a lunchbox that I packed myself and nobody brought me a thing-not a soda pop, a pie in a box or something supposed to pass for soup in a styro cup. 
At Ohse Meats, we got any sandwich meat for free and people brought in a loaf of bread to pull from. 

Stress is the greater concern we all have for you &your people there, not food-hang tight and be safe!
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2021, 09:55:42 AM »
you hit the nail on the head.  Stress gets high on the 5th day of doing the impossible.  food seems to be a stress reliever.  I was not overweight till residency.  they would call for an admission, and if you still had food on your tray you could say, "when I get done eating".  hard to go 12 hours and not eat.  It helps if you feel like the admins care a little.  Thanks, Kantukid, and all for your support.  Doc.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2021, 12:51:38 PM »
How long did it take to get a test John?
First symptoms were 12/25.  Tried to get something scheduled on 12/26 but earliest was 12/29.  Called in and waited on hold for over 40 minutes.  Got a phone consult scheduled for 12/27 which resulted in a test scheduled for the afternoon of 12/28.  Results returned late 12/29. (+)  And technically, I'm past the quarantine period today 12/30. ::)
John Sawicky

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2021, 01:56:31 PM »
Well 3 days isn't bad. I know the wait is a PITA because life is like on hold. But the time from symptoms to test is about as good as it gets most places. The way I read it, there has to be an incubation of the virus to get an accurate result anyway. Hang in there. smiley_thumbsup

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline Ricker

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2021, 06:40:53 PM »
I had a close contact last month and had to cancel a endoscopy at the hospital that was 2 days later.  The hospital told me to wait at least 5 days before I got a test.  Said since I was vaccinated it would take that long to build up n my system for the test to detect it.  Stayed home 6 days had the test they called next day negative, no more self quarantine needed.

Online Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2021, 08:48:12 AM »
 That food looks a lot better than what I saw for 2 days in the hosp. Ok, I'm lost on the anti-body and time of giving. This is goin-a be long. My youngest BIL's son brought covid home to everyone still living at the farm. He got it from the hy-way dept he works at. My BIL and wife have diabeties and other stuff to really be worried about. The both of them, well every one up there wouldn't get the jabs. They both got real bad to where his oldest daughter came and took them to the hospital. She had the jabs do to working with the elderly. BIL was done as far as I could see but the doctor gave them something and after a week they started getting better. Neither of them went on to the air thing down your throat. Is that something different than the mono anti=body y'all are talking about?
Ed K

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2021, 04:15:36 PM »
Ed if they stayed in the hospital (were sick enough) theygot an antiviral and steroids.  with respiratory support.  the ventilator is only used when you cannot breathe on your own.  if they saw the doc and were sent home, they got the antibody.  the antibody is an infusion of already made antibodies to stop the spread.  it was originally thought the virus had a 5-to-11-day incubation period.  I am not sure that the vaccine prolongs the test positivity, but it could as the test being positive is based on viral load (how many viral particles are there in the nose).  My PA did tests 3 days in a row as her whole family was +.  she did not feel well, but not real sick.  she is 3 months pregnant.  she tested positive, and she is now back to work.  We are short on test kits, so they may not want to check you on day one after exposure.  If tested early it gives a false sense of security, and you may go back to work and expose everyone.  We have had people test positive in the ED and call all their friends and family and 5 people show up in the ED to be tested.  We do not waste testing on non-symptomatic people who were exposed and hour ago.  Military guys will get this, but we do what we can with what we got.  We cannot rely on a big hospital down the road to save our asthma.  everyone is on diversion.  Doc

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2022, 05:27:26 AM »
A serious side effect when your heart surgery is cancelled 6 x's and your deemed a lower priority.

Family angered by 'no service disruptions' claim as surgery cancelled a 6th time | CBC News

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2022, 05:34:14 AM »
Wichitas hospitals on the brink amid latest COVID surge | The Wichita Eagle (kansas.com)

Dr. Mosley is a friend and colleague, and Dr. Moore is a med school classmate.

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2022, 09:19:16 AM »
The media and political attention to medical staff shortages interest me as a retired tech school educator who worked in schools that trained nurses, respiratory therapists and several types of first responders and various certified aide areas. I began that work in 1974 and there were shortages then as now. Larger discussion as to why, both then and now after covid effects. Fact remains that shortages among medical professions is an old story. Sadly, common sense tells you there's no quick fixes either as cases multiply in real time. 

Hardly life threatening for myself, like the cardio example above, but I'm currently leading a "one lower molar lifestyle" :D because of covid factors on availability of services back when it was mostly all shut down and now, they simply cannot catch up. They even switched me from maxillary facial surgery dept to the Prosthodontics dept to speed things up but no live action yet. Makes it worse that the one molar is below a marginal upper molar thats already broken and repaired. I'm on borrowed time as they say.
My knee doc's doing his thing now and caught up I think.      

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2022, 10:22:19 AM »
   In addition to the Sambucol (black elderberry) . black elderberry is a medicinal plant it is poisonous to humans and requires processing before it is safe for consumption. The expectorant Helixia (ivy extract) appears to provide a bit of relief as well.
logon

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2022, 10:37:33 AM »
I'm into DG brand Mucinex, swig every nite, sleep tite ya old fart... :D

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2022, 11:29:45 AM »
Buckley's Mixture, old time standby. ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Covid isn't the only game in town

Started by Mooseherder on General Board

0 Replies
Last post December 23, 2021, 04:35:43 PM
by Mooseherder
xx
Have YOU had COVID-19?

Started by azmtnman on Health and Safety

69 Replies
Last post October 16, 2021, 10:52:35 PM
by trapper