iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Covid isn't the only game in town

Started by Patrick NC, December 23, 2021, 12:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Well, my test results are in and I tested positive.  Not a big surprise.  The "new" protocol is quarantine until all 3 items can be checked.
1) 5 days passed since onset (was 10 yesterday),
2) no fever for past 24 hours with no meds and
3) symptoms are reducing. 
So tomorrow marks 5 days and the other 2 I pass so I guess I'm out of quarantine tomorrow?

My daughter never got tested but her onset was a few days before me so she is probably clear by now.  My son is about 2 days behind me.  I got him a test scheduled for Monday (the earliest at any testing site around here).  But he will probably be all better by then.

So, we were all double vaxed and it looks like that made it quick to pass but for a day or two pretty bad flu-like.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

How long did it take to get a test John? I know it is up to 3 days here. And in Maine they are saying 5 days after symptoms. I just read that on one of the state's websites.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

Hey Doc, some of us already know how you "eat" in a hospital.  :D It can be seriously funny to screw up a simple hamburger as they manage to accomplish, until it's not.
 That said, during my entire work life of many, many situs, the only ones where people brought me food were my Momma and some farmers wife's, and the military did sometimes. Mostly I ate out of a lunchbox that I packed myself and nobody brought me a thing-not a soda pop, a pie in a box or something supposed to pass for soup in a styro cup. 
At Ohse Meats, we got any sandwich meat for free and people brought in a loaf of bread to pull from. 

Stress is the greater concern we all have for you &your people there, not food-hang tight and be safe!
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

you hit the nail on the head.  Stress gets high on the 5th day of doing the impossible.  food seems to be a stress reliever.  I was not overweight till residency.  they would call for an admission, and if you still had food on your tray you could say, "when I get done eating".  hard to go 12 hours and not eat.  It helps if you feel like the admins care a little.  Thanks, Kantukid, and all for your support.  Doc.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 30, 2021, 03:06:24 AMHow long did it take to get a test John?
First symptoms were 12/25.  Tried to get something scheduled on 12/26 but earliest was 12/29.  Called in and waited on hold for over 40 minutes.  Got a phone consult scheduled for 12/27 which resulted in a test scheduled for the afternoon of 12/28.  Results returned late 12/29. (+)  And technically, I'm past the quarantine period today 12/30. ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

Well 3 days isn't bad. I know the wait is a PITA because life is like on hold. But the time from symptoms to test is about as good as it gets most places. The way I read it, there has to be an incubation of the virus to get an accurate result anyway. Hang in there. smiley_thumbsup

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ricker

I had a close contact last month and had to cancel a endoscopy at the hospital that was 2 days later.  The hospital told me to wait at least 5 days before I got a test.  Said since I was vaccinated it would take that long to build up n my system for the test to detect it.  Stayed home 6 days had the test they called next day negative, no more self quarantine needed.

Ed_K

That food looks a lot better than what I saw for 2 days in the hosp. Ok, I'm lost on the anti-body and time of giving. This is goin-a be long. My youngest BIL's son brought covid home to everyone still living at the farm. He got it from the hy-way dept he works at. My BIL and wife have diabeties and other stuff to really be worried about. The both of them, well every one up there wouldn't get the jabs. They both got real bad to where his oldest daughter came and took them to the hospital. She had the jabs do to working with the elderly. BIL was done as far as I could see but the doctor gave them something and after a week they started getting better. Neither of them went on to the air thing down your throat. Is that something different than the mono anti=body y'all are talking about?
Ed K

doc henderson

Ed if they stayed in the hospital (were sick enough) theygot an antiviral and steroids.  with respiratory support.  the ventilator is only used when you cannot breathe on your own.  if they saw the doc and were sent home, they got the antibody.  the antibody is an infusion of already made antibodies to stop the spread.  it was originally thought the virus had a 5-to-11-day incubation period.  I am not sure that the vaccine prolongs the test positivity, but it could as the test being positive is based on viral load (how many viral particles are there in the nose).  My PA did tests 3 days in a row as her whole family was +.  she did not feel well, but not real sick.  she is 3 months pregnant.  she tested positive, and she is now back to work.  We are short on test kits, so they may not want to check you on day one after exposure.  If tested early it gives a false sense of security, and you may go back to work and expose everyone.  We have had people test positive in the ED and call all their friends and family and 5 people show up in the ED to be tested.  We do not waste testing on non-symptomatic people who were exposed and hour ago.  Military guys will get this, but we do what we can with what we got.  We cannot rely on a big hospital down the road to save our asthma.  everyone is on diversion.  Doc
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

A serious side effect when your heart surgery is cancelled 6 x's and your deemed a lower priority.

Family angered by 'no service disruptions' claim as surgery cancelled a 6th time | CBC News

doc henderson

kantuckid

The media and political attention to medical staff shortages interest me as a retired tech school educator who worked in schools that trained nurses, respiratory therapists and several types of first responders and various certified aide areas. I began that work in 1974 and there were shortages then as now. Larger discussion as to why, both then and now after covid effects. Fact remains that shortages among medical professions is an old story. Sadly, common sense tells you there's no quick fixes either as cases multiply in real time. 

Hardly life threatening for myself, like the cardio example above, but I'm currently leading a "one lower molar lifestyle" :D because of covid factors on availability of services back when it was mostly all shut down and now, they simply cannot catch up. They even switched me from maxillary facial surgery dept to the Prosthodontics dept to speed things up but no live action yet. Makes it worse that the one molar is below a marginal upper molar thats already broken and repaired. I'm on borrowed time as they say.
My knee doc's doing his thing now and caught up I think.      

Stephen Alford

In addition to the Sambucol (black elderberry) . black elderberry is a medicinal plant it is poisonous to humans and requires processing before it is safe for consumption. The expectorant Helixia (ivy extract) appears to provide a bit of relief as well.
logon

kantuckid

I'm into DG brand Mucinex, swig every nite, sleep tite ya old fart... :D

SwampDonkey

Buckley's Mixture, old time standby. ;D

Gary_C

My mother used to rub Vicks all over our chests, pin a towel around our neck and feed us cod liver oil. Ah the good old days.  ::)

Over the Christmas weekend my two teenage grandkids (vaccinated) both came down with coughs and fevers and my daughter scheduled them both for testing early last week. But then my wife got a deep cough and a slight fever Monday night so I took her in to the ER Tuesday and they tested her for everything with one nasal swab. Turns out she was negative for everything but Influenza Type A. So after some more tests concerning her heart she was sent home after treating her with one Tamiflu and a prescription for 9 more. The problem was that every pharmacy in the area was completely out of Tamiflu including the Mayo pharmacies. The next day I was able to fill the prescription at another Walmart pharmacy in a distant town. The grandkids also tested positive for Type A so there is more than Covid going around. My wife and I both got our flu shots but daughter and her kids did not. So far I have escaped.    
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

kantuckid

Google says it's NLA in USA? Lawyers say it chokes people or something like that.

Old saw fixer

Still available as far as I can find.  I always kept a jar in trunk of the county car, decomp odor you know.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

doc henderson

Vicks vapo-bath is available with the irritant eucalyptus smell.  the rub had an oil Vaseline base, and it could migrate into the airway and cause an oil pneumonitis theoretically.  never saw a case.  we put Vaseline in the nares for dry nose/bloody nose.  this is why mineral oil is no longer used for constipation.  have you ever noticed when you are trying to sleep and have a stuffy nose (congest nasal mucosa) and hear a noise that startles you like someone is messing with your front door?  you get a burst of adrenaline, and it constricts the capillaries in the mucosa, and you get sudden opening of the nares within seconds of the sound.  It is part of the fight or flight response.  the lower side is usually more congested due to gravity.  roll to the side that puts the stuffy side up.  hot and spicy makes you nose water.  smell is a form of taste.  think about that next time you get a whiff in the powder room.   :o :)

kantuckid

Hey Doc, thanks but I can only sleep on one side these days... ;D Better something, than nothing, they say. 

Here ya a covid "game" tidbit:  Our county librarian posted a few days ago on the county info FB page, she runs, that people who lost family members from covid deaths could get the funeral paid for by our federal government. Went on to say her Mom's recent funeral they had paid the entire cost minus a $100 out of pocket. 
 I googled the topic and FEMA website came up with the fact that they had been doing just that for funerals covid related, but stopped as it was only an early pandemic program and no longer in effect. Our tax dollars at work huh? 
I EAT Vicks when I have a sore throat, plus the chest thing which does seem to work to some degree. Lately m y clothes smell like Vicks in fact. One jar we have is off brand and seems to have lost it's pizazz based on smell test? 

doc henderson

"or has it"?    :)  or do you have.....  COVID!  good luck

kantuckid

Quote from: doc henderson on January 04, 2022, 10:16:31 AM
"or has it"?    :)  or do you have.....  COVID!  good luck
My regular local ARPN and I agreed that I did not, but I stayed home and fixed on had what my GD had when we visited them in TN. Or there's the other version that I had what another son had with similar symptoms. No one in our family nearby, has had covid.  I am well as we speak but was close to bronchitis. 
No loss of taste, smell or appetite. Never a fever. or headache either. Tight chest and globs of green goobers that came quickly and now gone. 
Now I'm back to PT on my shoulder and happy to be able to brush the back of my head again, place objects into a microwave, etc. ;D.
 Rotator cuff is responding well to PT. Tendinopathy of Rotator Cuff is the doc diagnosis-my PT says I had a cuff tear as well. My PT guy is VG in fact. I learned to know a good one from my previous PT events, one a seriously messed up full tear. Hands on, you see who has that magic touch and who's pretending. Lots of old farts at the PT place, some active people, some not so much and showing it too. Walmart's scooter riders club people?

Walnut Beast

Had a meeting with a guy that's been in and out of airports all over. Had Covid early on and has never had it since. Never had the shot. The CEO has had three shots and has Covid now and has had it in the past while vaccinated. He has also had relation that have had the shots and had a heart attack like other members have reported. 

doc henderson

heart attacks happen every day.  I do agree that there is a tendency to clot easier after covid or the shot, as a function of inflammation.  I am telling folks to consider an aspirin a day after the disease or the vaccine.  Just like anyone at risk for heart attack or stroke.  an aspirin makes your platelets less sticky.  the effect is permanent to any platelet exposed to an acetylated salicylate.  ASA is acetylsalicylic acid.  the life of a platelet is 7 days, and the newly made ones are not affected, so it is taken every day.

doc henderson

I have not had it that I know of, but I think I will get the capsid antibody test to fine out.  over a year of in my face work with it.  I may have been asymptomatic.  

Thank You Sponsors!