The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: New Hip  (Read 1802 times)

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: New Hip
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2021, 08:45:27 AM »
True, times change.
 My neighbor a home builder/contractor, fell off a 10-12' step ladder some years ago. He's a big guy around 6'4" or so and broke his hip. He had the old and the wear out versions too. I'm pretty sure he's on his 3rd hip joint. He changed jobs to be the school bus mechanic based on that hip. I asked the question at my hip class if they knew how long mine would be good for. The RN teaching the class was well informed and suggested that the newest ones outlast most folks who'll need one but not like I heard a year number either. I guess they avoid that sort of talk plus the newest ones aren't being re-done based on wearouts. I sat next tpo this guy in a waiting room at my hip docs. Guy was mid 60's and said he was getting a new 2nd hip and added that his hobby was senior weightlifting competitions so probably his own fault. 
Another factoid is that certain docs just wont change to a newer method. I had my CTS release surgeries in 2000 & 2001 and I worked with a HVAC teacher who's doc still did the cut your entire palm open style of surgery. mine was endoscopic and a 3/4" incision-his was like 4-6"!  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2021, 09:11:46 AM »
Pete,
Worse it's  my clutch  hand. Got so I couldn't pull the clutch or hold a can of beer.
This recovery has been terrible. No movement in a month. Fingers swollen like sausages.
I'd rather of had another total knee done.
My ortho says if the dentist wants antibiotics then he can prescribe them which he does.
The First 69 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2021, 09:36:26 AM »
The RN teaching the class was well informed and suggested that the newest ones outlast most folks who'll need one but not like I heard a year number either. I guess they avoid that sort of talk plus the newest ones aren't being re-done based on wearouts.

I was told new hips are expected to last at least 30yrs. Maybe longer as they don't have a lot of history yet to base it on.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2022, 01:11:25 PM »
Dang bill, sorry to hear this.
How is your cheese situation?
We miss our breakfasts with you guys to exchange cheese for social contact.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2022, 02:22:08 PM »
We ate at that diner a couple months ago. 
Sue Ann asked if you were coming back down soon.

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2022, 09:14:32 AM »
I was able to return to my happy place just under 3 weeks after the new hip (18 days post-op to be exact). Wife came out to snap a couple pictures - either to rub in my face if I did something dumb to hurt my recovery or to show the surgeon, "see what my crazy husband is doing already" - (which she did).
Recovery going very well. Couldn't be happier with the whole experience. If anyone needing a complete hip replacement has a choice, definitely go with the anterior method.

Oh, I do have chainsaw pants under the coveralls.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2022, 05:29:11 PM »
Thank You for following up with your progress.  It's a huge help to those of us who ain't had it done.....yet.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2022, 06:30:11 PM »
Great recovery being back to the vigorous woods work.

Offline realzed

• Old Fart
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 02:05:51 AM »
Yep - had mine done @7:30AM and was up walking around (somewhat gingerly by Noon - home by 6PM..
Front entry and general anesthetic (my own choice - I hate the spinal) and I was walking around the block within a day or two.
A lot better recovery than my TKR and subsequent same knee revision when it came to recovery and success, but that was somewhat to be expected.
This getting old is not as much fun as I anticipated - guess all of my youthful idiocy is finally catching up with me.. in spades!

Offline gasman1075

• Full Member x2
  • I'm lucky
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2022, 07:59:24 AM »
Thanks for sharing I am looking at new hip #2 in the fall and hope to get anterior. 
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 08:07:27 AM »
Awesome on your hip
My friend had it done and he says he feels much better. 
He gets around great
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 12:57:56 PM »
The problem with antibiotics is that they kill off necessary bacteria in the gut that isnt entirely understood but is known to colonize us to digest and make soluble things that we cant on our own. Bacteria somehow produce compounds for the entire body.  

Narrowing bacterial diversity in the gut is proven to lead to diverse health issues.  The more antibiotics and sterilized fast food you consume the faster health will decline.  It only took a year driving truck to see for myself what too much road food will do to you.

Im not saying dont follow your doctor, but you dont want any extra gut sanitizer than necessary.  If you kill the good stuff, the bad stuff it kept in check will proliferate 
Revelation 13:11-18

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 01:14:57 PM »
4 surgeries and not a single antibiotic was prescribed.
Never gave it any thought before now.

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 01:50:42 PM »
The problem with antibiotics is that they kill off necessary bacteria in the gut that isnt entirely understood but is known to colonize us to digest and make soluble things that we cant on our own. Bacteria somehow produce compounds for the entire body.  

Narrowing bacterial diversity in the gut is proven to lead to diverse health issues.  The more antibiotics and sterilized fast food you consume the faster health will decline.  It only took a year driving truck to see for myself what too much road food will do to you.

Im not saying dont follow your doctor, but you dont want any extra gut sanitizer than necessary.  If you kill the good stuff, the bad stuff it kept in check will proliferate
Yes indeed. The gut is a remarkable and not fully understood aspect of our body. There is such a thing a fecal transplant for those that don't have the right mix of bacteria.
For surgeries, most will have you on an IV antibiotic drip during the procedure, but no oral antibiotics afterward unless there is a problem. ORs are very sterile environments. Post op infections normally occur when patients don't take good care of their incision site.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2022, 07:57:20 PM »
Remarkable indeed.  Thinking my wife may need to have a bacterium transplantbut its not something your typical PC is gonna suggest. 

Offline doctorb

• Board Moderator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2022, 09:32:50 PM »
Just to set the record straight, unless there is some absolutely specific individualized medical reason for someone NOT to get antibiotics, all total joints get a pre operative single dose. The medical studies are quite clear on this, and the infection rate of surgical procedures is lowered with this standard practice.  In addition to the preoperative IV antibiotics, spinal procedures often use antibiotic powder in the wound at the time of closure.  

So there is no surprise that you have had no antibiotics prescribed.  You were asleep or sedated when they were instilled.  Studies show that a single dose of prophylaxis is all that is necessary.  I appreciate the downside of antibiotic therapy, and I dont disagree with the philosophy of avoiding them if possible.  If I ever need another surgery, you can bet your next mortgage payment that I will receive, and I want to receive, preoperative antibiotics, and you should too.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2022, 07:44:06 AM »
Remarkable indeed.  Thinking my wife may need to have a bacterium transplantbut its not something your typical PC is gonna suggest.
Mike, if it's C Diff that she can't shake, they were ending courses of Flagyl on me cold... end of the bottle, you're done. 3 days later the C diff was back. After 3 tries of that the bacteria was resistant. Went to vancomycin (sp) which was the last line before a fecal transplant, but this doc tapered off the dose, that worked. Her reasoning was that the annie b's had wiped everything, but the C Diff was the fastest reproducing bacteria. I kept giving it a clean petri dish to grow on and then culling for the strongest amongst them, I had made a personal super bug. She kept a hand on them by tapering while giving the good bugs a better chance of getting a foothold. She said to avoid annie b's as much as humanly possible from then on. It was quite awhile before I could tolerate some foods, I guess missing bugs that slowly got back online.

Since then I've had a couple of shoulders done, lyme multiple times. I just keep a close check on myself and try to get lots of good bugs in when I'm on them. I'm not a doc but if she is off her feed it is serious.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2022, 11:37:56 AM »
not C diff.. she has a host of issues that all seem to tie back to gut bacteria and diet.  both my children as well, one autistic, one severe ADHD.. who got their microbial inoculations during normal birth from mom. im gonna reach out to this guy at UCSF and see if he wants to investigate her as a study case.  i can read all the best, most recent research project papers in the world but there is a limit to how much that can really do for her. 

Sergio Baranzini, PhD | Baranzini Lab

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter