iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inguinal hernia

Started by kelLOGg, March 02, 2022, 06:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I've had it for 1.5 years and the bulge is slowly getting bigger although I can carry on my saw milling as usual as well as cardio and ab crunch workouts. (Doc says that is ok and keep doing it). Yesterday I had the first really discomforting pain which lasted most of the day until I retired for the evening. I know I will need surgery soon and doc has outlined 2 types: installing inner mesh and outer mesh. Who has had these surgeries and what was recovery like? Was it successful?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Don P

I've had 2, both as young man about 10 years apart. No mesh. Recovery was light duty for a few months. The old doc that saw me for the second one said that was common for him to see both sides blow over time, genetic predisposition. He did say if I showed up with another it would take mesh. Happily the U joints went before the differential after that. I have not heard great things about mesh if you can avoid it.

One thing I've learned over time is when a Doc says you can live with a torn this or that and come in when it gets worse, grab a big dose of salt. Some do but most do not live your life nor do they understand it. If you have to wind up and dump the clutch that tear isn't going to be a little worse. My second one was catching an engine that was falling over, just another day on the farm. I could tell he couldn't even visualize it  :D. Fix it sooner than later and enjoy good miles longer.

John Mc

I agree with Don P. If you are active, it's better to take care of it early. You do not want to end up with a strangulated hernia, which can be a serious complication.

I've had both sides done, about 5 years apart. I recovered from the second one much more quickly than the first. I think the surgical technique was a bit different between the two. (the latter one might have been laproscopic surgery? Though I may be confusing that with my Gall Bladder removal?)

I can't comment on inner vs outer mesh, I have no idea what I have, but I've never had further problems.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dakota

I've had both sides done with mesh, about 3 years apart.  Both as a result of horsing big logs around(I'm a slow learner).  If you're active, get it done, and then take it easy, or you're going to get another one.  Even with both fixed, I get a red warning light(slight burning feeling under the mesh) if I lift too much.  Recovery was easy.  Ease back into normal lifting slowly.  Correct lifting techniques become VERY important the older you get.
Dave Rinker

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Don P on March 02, 2022, 07:03:24 AM

One thing I've learned over time is when a Doc says you can live with a torn this or that and come in when it gets worse, grab a big dose of salt. Some do but most do not live your life nor do they understand it.
Good grief that is a fact.  When i talk to my doc, or any body else that works inside and doesn't do any heavy lifting on a daily basis you can tell they think your exaggerating when you describe what you do.     They pretty much think being "on light duty inside" is an option for us.  It ain't. :D
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Ed_K

I blew both sides when I was 31, between shoveling manure on the farm and working construction did a good job. I had both sides fixed with 3 days between and they used the old mesh type and haven't had any problems other than what Dakota said about a slight burning when trying to lift to much.
Ed K

Magicman

I had both sides done at the same time with mesh probably 20 years ago. ??  I have really not thought about it until I read this.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

realzed

About 7-8 years ago now - I had a fairly large Inguinal Hernia repaired at the Shouldice Clinic in Toronto ON - which is World-wide renown for all sorts of hernia repairs.
I met (mostly guys) from all over North America and a couple from other parts of the World there when I was there, who had travelled just because of the reputation of the facility - even one came by train to Toronto from Washington State and showed me that he had managed still to retain his .357 Mag handgun in his carry-bag with him.. so much for border security!!  :D
At Shouldice they don't use mesh - but instead weave or knit into the fibers of the abdominal wall opening somewhat like you would repair a hole in a woolen sock to apparently create a much more flexible and stronger affected area than other types of methods, especially those using mesh for repair.
No anesthesia is used - instead patients are given local numbing shots and oral painkillers (which don't always work quite as well as advertised as I found out) in order to speed up recovery time once out of the OR!
I haven't even thought about my repair - save for the odd twinge occasionally during the first year after the surgery (probably mainly nerves regenerating) and was told the likelihood of it ever tearing or opening again is pretty much zilch.
Odd place certainly.. and the venue is or was back when I attended, much like something out of a 40's movie as the place is housed on an estate with the building or 'hospital' itself being a huge old mansion in the center of it, winding center staircases, everything all painted white, and situated on a very large expanse of greenscape probably worth hundreds of millions of $$'s smack in the middle of Toronto itself.
Scarlett O'Hara being the only thing missing element!
Very odd experience to say the least - but it worked for me and has for thousands from all over the Globe apparently according to their website.
I couldn't get my repair done locally in almost a year of waiting - and it got done within 4 weeks at Shouldice!  

Thank You Sponsors!