iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello Forestry!

Started by Cipherwood, March 02, 2022, 01:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cipherwood

Thanks for having me. This forum is amazing :o

Hope this post is in the correct spot. I want to learn all about this forestry stuff.

I see many of you more experienced folks have equipment listed. My equipment list isn't very impressive yet but here it is:

Currently I have:
a husq 455 rancher
a dodge 5 series with a 6.7L and a service body
a friend with 9 acres of heavily wooded land
a dream of getting a sawmill to process some of these trees to build some timberframe buildings
decent credit
a day job and some money saved

So basically an undersized chainsaw and a decently biggish truck to pull things around with once I get the SB off of it and something more useful installed :) Considering a gin pole with a pto driven winch.

At this point I don't know what I don't know so I just want to learn everything I can.

I found a class on timberframe construction up in WI but I am #63 on the wait list. -.-
https://northhouse.org/course-session/basic-timber-framing-4-29-2022

Aaah so much to learn.. I can't wait to figure out what kind of sawmill I need.

Build your own dream or someone will hire you to build theirs

Kodiakmac

Welcome aboard!

I don't know what process brought you to this site, but you'll be thanking your lucky stars you found FF!

Take your time, use the search features, and don't ever be afraid to ask for advice.  The accumulated wealth of experience here is unbelievable.

And BTW, your 455 Rancher is a good saw.   :)
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

samandothers

Welcome!  This is a great place to learn.  Lots of postings on all types of subjects.  When you read some and have questions folks are good to share knowledge and experience.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Quotebiggish truck to pull things around with once I get the SB off of it and something more useful installed Considering a gin pole with a pto driven winch.

That plan reminds me of this youtuber for your rig.

trail mater - YouTube

We like pics.

Glad you joined.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cipherwood

Thanks for the warm welcome. Will get some pictures together this weekend.

Doing some comparative research on sawmills lead me to this post: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=21433.0

.. which played into concerns I already had about being able to handle heavy logs. Or really any logs. I don't have a tractor, skid steer or anything with a grapple.

So many things to consider I get analysis paralysis figuring out where to start. Going to need the sawmill, some kind of grapple solution, a tractor, couple of trailers..

Not sure I can pull this off for under 35k but I'll let ya know.
Build your own dream or someone will hire you to build theirs

Thank You Sponsors!