HM 130 Max Woodlander Bed Length

Started by lindgcw, May 02, 2022, 02:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lindgcw

Just curious if the longer bed on the HM 130 Max is worth the extra money (just over $1000 more). I would think maneuverability would be also harder. And handling the longer logs would also be more work. The smaller bed only goes to about 10'4". The larger to 16'11". Some say that 95% is 8' logs. Can a person charge more for longer logs? Just looking for some experienced feedback. 
Pastor Craig

"I was one way and now I'm completely different. And the thing that happened in between ... was Him."

rusticretreater

I have an HM 130max and I sprung for the extra set of rails to make it 16' at purchase.  I am considering lengthening it again as I want some big beams for my drying shed.  Most folks with a rail run of 16-22 feet or more are not really into moving it around.  So I don't know what to say about maneuverability.

It also comes right down to your needs/desires and logs that you can source.  Sure, most logs are 8-12 feet.  I guarantee you that everyone who has a 10 foot run has had a time where they wish they had 16ft. Going from 10'6" to 16'11" is only one extension at $489.    Even if you build one outbuilding using 16ft boards, the extension will have paid for itself.

Longer boards don't really sell for more and if you sell by board foot instead of dimension size, you won't suffer.  What you will hear the experienced guys say is that whatever you have in stock, that ain't what the customer wants.  :)  
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

GAB

When building dog houses or backyard chicken coops you rarely need long material.
When building houses or large barns 16 and 20 footers are sometime needed.
Your answer is it depends on what you are sawing for.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

lindgcw

Thank you. The Woodlander at 16'11" with longer trailer is about a grand more. But I see your point. Thinking I may go longer for that reason. If the shorter one would have encompassed a 12 footer I may have stayed smaller, but I think I would be doing 12' +. Thanks again. 
Pastor Craig

"I was one way and now I'm completely different. And the thing that happened in between ... was Him."

btulloh

Get the extension, especially if you're ordering your mill now.  Shipping is much cheaper than two separate shipments. You'll be glad you have the extra length. Nobody ever said "gee, I wish I'd gotten shorter bed".

Good luck, and enjoy your sawing adventure. It's fun, useful, and the learning never stops. 8)
HM126

lindgcw

I do have another question. Sharpener and Setter. Are they cost effective for a hobbyist?  I'm thinking a Setter is important. But would it be better to have a skilled sharpener sharpen my blades? $600-$800 may sharpen a lot of blades. 
Pastor Craig

TroyC

My EZ 40 has just been extended to 26'. The original 16' is great, but the 10' extension should be great+.
I do the hobby thing, so blades are not that great of an expense for me. A box of 10 last me a couple of years. I have the Woodland sharpener, no setter. I sharpen 3-5 times, then replace. I know setting would be ideal, but hard for a small hobbyist to justify the expense of the setter. Works OK for me.

btulloh

It's a tough call for a hobbyist. Either way, I'd wait on the sharpener and setter.  See how it goes, then decide. There's plenty to learn about the sawmill and sawing logs. Learning to run a sharpener and setter at the same time would be a challenge.  Get the sawing part down first and enjoy that. Get a couple boxes of blades and hopefully find a good sharpening service. If theysharpen, they also set.

One thing that caught me off guard is how fast blades get dull and need to be swapped. If I'd have spent more time reading on the ff I would have known better!
HM126

rusticretreater

I should have picked up on the trailer part when you said woodlander.  Of course a 16' trailer is going to be harder to maneuver.  You should consider the parbuckling winch setup.
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

TroyC

With a 12-16' log, you will be looking for a loader with the mill at trailer height. I use a tractor with a grapple. My mill is trailer height and I would not want to try loading a 1500-2000 lb log without the loader.

maple flats

I have the HM130max woodlander, thus 16' +" , I'm drawing up pans to aff enough so on occasion I can extend it by 6' more. That will be later this year or next. It will not be permanently attached, just use it then remove it before any hauling. By the way, in the world of trailers, it is generally easier to back up a longer trailer than a short one, unless space is an issue. A short trailer reacts too fast to steering corrections compared to a long trailer.
By the way, I use an excavator with a thumb to load and position heavier logs. The excavator is now 33 yrs old, the thumb hydraulics about 1 yr old.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Magicman

The problem with backing short trailers is the distance from the hitch to the axle.  Increase this distance with a longer tongue and it's easier to back.  Think boat trailer. 

I often describe/compare my sawmill to potential customers as equivalent to a 4Klb boat trailer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

maple flats

I have a close friend who is an engineer who will be designing and building my extension. He is my brother's SIL, and he does plenty to help me whenever I mention anything I need done. For almost 2 more months he is busy satisfying a contract he is in, after that he'll get started on it. Likely will be ready spring 2023.
The most I'll use the extra extension will be when sawing for construction projects I have in mind for personal projects. The first will be a pavilion sawing shed to drive my Woodland Mills HM130MAX Woodlander in. It will be a pull thru but will very seldom be moved. I'll have a 23' opening on the log feed side thus I will use the extension for that. I could likely do it without the extension but that would involve moving a very long heavy log carefully with the saw blade already in the cut. Sounds like a recipe for bad things to happen.
I also will be building an addition for my shop where the extension might come in handy. I say might, because I'm debating whether I'll make it 14' wide or 16', if 14' I could saw the rafters as my mill is now, but if 16' in order to have a decent overhang I'd like the extension. I still have not decided which.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

rusticretreater

The practice of cutting logs longer than your bed length usually involves beams.  Folks back the blade off in the cut and then use a saw or chainsaw to remove the flitch.  This allows you to move the log without restrictions.
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp