iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some type of Hickory?

Started by Poquo, May 05, 2022, 08:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poquo

Cut this log today, very hard wood cut like Pecan. If I went to fast the cut would be wavy and the sawdust was fine even with new blade. All I have to go by was the log no leaves or limbs were on it.

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Poquo

Thanks, WDH the bark on this one threw me off.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

B.C.C. Lapp

Round here that is referred to as "pig" hickory. Ive no idea why.

I do know that its every bit as hard as shag bark hickory and on a cloudy day you can see sparks coming off your saw chain when you start your cut.   When I had my band mill I really didnt like sawing the stuff.   I'd be changing bands all day.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

beenthere

Maybe pignut hickory (Carya glabra) 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Poquo

Thanks for the replies, it was a pain to cut I guess it's in the smiley_devil wood family tree.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

WDH

Actually on the Janka Hardness Scale, pignut hickory is a good bit harder than shagbark hickory.

Janka Hardness of North American Hardwoods in Drying and Processing

Shagbark hickory has a Janka Hardness of 1880 while pignut has a Janka Hardness of 2140.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Poquo

It was the hardest log I've cut so far. It was worse than Pecan.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

moodnacreek

Looks like white heart hickory. The bark is harder than the wood they say.

Thank You Sponsors!