iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a new car - lessons learned

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 26, 2022, 09:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Well, my wife's 19 y/o Dodge truck finally had to go that big race track in the sky so we went car shopping yesterday for her something else. She wanted something with a little extra height and visibility and a 2nd seat in case the gks are along. I finally convinced her things other than a pick up might could offer that. We went to the Dodge dealer in a nearby town, not the one we bought her last truck from but the one who has provided the best service over the years.

It was amazing how little stock they had on hand. They had a couple of Jeep Compass, a Cherokee and a 1500 P/U. She sat in the Cherokee and did not like it. Tried the compass and test drove it. Then she drove the P/U. There were too many new features on it for her to learn including turning a knob to shift gears instead of a shift lever. The fob and push button start was on all and messes with her mind as she is used to turning her key.

We finally opted for the Compass. Found it did not come with a spare tire and jack. They provide an inflator kit and slime and you blow up the flat tire and take it the shop and they replace the inflator and slime kit. We checked and found a full size spare would fit there so ordered one and I'll buy a jack and lug wrench from Advance Auto I guess. They said they don't provide jacks and spares any more because the extra weight hurts the gas mileage and if the inflator and slime did not fix it you had to call a tow truck. ::)

They had 0% interest for 3 years and no incentive to pay it off so I opted for that rather than paying cash on the spot - I just draw interest on it instead.

They mentioned Gap insurance which was about $900 for coverage of the devaluation of new vs used price should it get totaled before paid off. I declined and got a replacement type policy for about $5/month.

We had to clean out 19 years worth of paperwork (I think my wife had every receipt for gas or toll booth fees in there since she bought the truck in the truck) and found something like 2 dozen pens and $41.35 worth of small change in the console and door pocket. Some of the pennies had already turned green and some of the dimes and such were epoxied to the truck with old splashed out soda and coffee.

If you haven't bought a new vehicle in a while it may be real different than the last time you went.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

:D It is certainly a different world out there. Our nearby dealership lots are empty as well, apparently the manufacturers rely on one or two countries for some materials and supply is intermittent.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

Yeah it used to be they would have dozens of vehicles in the class we were looking at and the big problem would be deciding on color or which features you wanted or not.

Another new feature to me is no gas cap. The cover locks and I guess you have to have the fob in range to open it then just a flexible cover over the gas spout. Actually that makes sense as that is simpler than a cap and maybe no more engine warning lights coming on from a loose gas cap.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gspren

Hope she ends up liking the car! If it's the first car you had that uses the new key fob that senses your proximity beware that leaving the fob in or near the car while parked/stored may kill the fob batteries. A few weeks ago I started a thread about this and people have had mixed results depending on the type of fob, I was warned not to keep them close while parked.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

21incher

I am trying  to buy 2 this year. The Chevy  dealer bought  back that new Silverado  I had with the rotting frame and my wife's  car was on in age needing to be replaced so I needed  2. The first  one went great. We ordered a new Subaru Forester Touring from Japan the first  week of January and luckily things slow down right after  Christmas so 2 months later it arrived.  It's  a easy to get into car for older people with awesome  safety  features and my wife  loves it. One of the cheapest to insure cars on the road. That went smoothly. 
  Now I have been trying  to buy a smaller truck and it's  a new delay every  week. I found a Ford Ranger  Lariat that was ordered  by a dealer last year and supposedly built the second  week of March to be delivered  the beginning of April. I signed up for that one even though I really  don't  like black because I didn't  want  to wait 6 to 9 months  for an order. All the other  dealers in the area have market adjustments and I refuse  to pay over msrp so they are out. It is listed as shipping  delay and the date slips a week every week. Turns out it's in that parking lot in Michigan with thousands of Broncos and Rangers that have been sitting  for months waiting for parts. Ford has been lying and doesn't even return the dealers calls on many slipped dates with an honest timeframe. I just read a post on a forum that Ford has a problem with rodents eating wiring harnesses on vehicles  parked there. They switched  to soy based insulation on the wires that rodents love to eat so now they have engineers inspecting  each vehicle to see if it's  worth  finishing. They also pay more for shipping  F150s so drivers choose  them first since diesel has skyrocketed.  So here I sit just waiting not knowing if it ever will arrive. Ford shut  down orders on Rangers 2 weeks ago so to late to order a different  one. My dealer is now trying  to swap with other  dealers for one but that may not happen.  First of next month I  will start looking at different  brands but most of the higher trim levels are tough to get. Plenty  of F150s around now but I really don't  want to spend 65 k on another  truck so the search will start up again  next week if the Ranger has no honest date. I don't like  the seating  position  in the Tacoma so I may go back to my second  choice Ridgeline or look at the new frontier.  It's only going to get worse in the next  couple of months from what I am hearing.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Larry

My friend had a  couple year old F250 diesel.  Transmission went out which was covered under warranty but they couldn't get parts to fix it.  Needing something to drive he traded it back to the dealer for a new one.  The new one came without some computer chips which they would add once they were in stock.  The chips were nothing major, heated seats, heated steering wheel, and some other comfort features that I can't remember.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: gspren on May 26, 2022, 08:48:38 PM
Hope she ends up liking the car! If it's the first car you had that uses the new key fob that senses your proximity beware that leaving the fob in or near the car while parked/stored may kill the fob batteries. A few weeks ago I started a thread about this and people have had mixed results depending on the type of fob, I was warned not to keep them close while parked.
this is mostly why we leave the keys in the vehicle at the house . that and can't lose the fob
Necessity is the engine of drive

WV Sawmiller

The key fob battery should not be an issue as the only time it will be in the car is when we are.

We were uncertain on the fuel level in the car so stopped and filled it up at our local station on the way home about 40 miles from the dealer and it would only hold one gallon. Obviously they had filled it and I'm loving the mileage compared to the 10-12 gallons on the Ram.
Howard Green

kantuckid

No spares, jack or even a lug wrench is fairly common over more than a couple of years. My 2010 Cadillac CTS4 had the "spare tire option" for one e.g..
I built BMW wrecks for years and they have used the run-flat tires for a very long time. They should be called "make believe" runflats... :D Slime use makes for hard tire repairs w/o a cleanup inside the tires carcass. The spare tire/wheel for some cars costs well over $400 & upwards.  
MSRP is commonly seen or even more$$$. Thats if they have a vehicle to buy. I always prefer to order a vehicle so i don't pay for stuff I don't want or need plus items that dealers add as profit items. In 2019 we drove a dealer managers car that had over $7,000 of items we didn't even want on an SUV. 
I feel for anyone buying new or used right now! Used with so many miles they are salvageable more so than drivable are selling for crazy prices. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 27, 2022, 09:54:13 AM
  The key fob battery should not be an issue as the only time it will be in the car is when we are.

We were uncertain on the fuel level in the car so stopped and filled it up at our local station on the way home about 40 miles from the dealer and it would only hold one gallon. Obviously they had filled it and I'm loving the mileage compared to the 10-12 gallons on the Ram.
The fob battery going dead thing (from being left inside the vehicle) has never been an issue in my world, no matter what brand car. I have seen them when the battery just got old and easy to replace unless you lose the entire gizmo.  

WV Sawmiller

Yeah our key fob has a slide in key in it which you can pull out and unlock the door in an emergency.

A new tire for this one was about $450 for tire and wheel. I still need a jack. I removed a 4 way lug wrench which I will check/verify fits it but I am confident it will work.

Her old truck was mechanically in great shape but structurally it was shot. 
Howard Green

kantuckid

The spare issue can be tough as some cars lack a space to store even a doughnut spare. Our last run-flat car I carried a spare, lug wrench and a compact jack while using non-run-flats. There are some neat & cheap compact jacks out there. Sometimes part of these items will store while the tire might not, just depends. Many brands now use runflats.
 I'll not type all my experiences with them, suffice to say I've been around the block with them & I seriously hate them from A to Z! 

Car insurance rates are currently suffering from the car value/repairability/online sales, etc., issues, along with taxation rates in states like KY where personal property tax costs are high. I may never buy another new PU truck given my age and prices? My "Beer cans" truck might outlast me? :D 

WV Sawmiller

I thought I had bought my last vehicle too as my Dodge P/U has a lifetime power train warranty and I bought the lifetime extended warranty from Dodge which covers everything except wearing/consumable parts.

This Jeep has the same lifetime warranty coverage. We had them put a full sized spare in the spare area and confirmed it fits and we can close the cover on it. I think my insurance coverage went up about $50 every 6 months or so plus $5/month for the extra replace coverage of 20%. I got that instead of paying the $900 GAP insurance the company offered.

They offered finance rates that were competitive or better than my bank, insurance or credit union offered and they had a no interest option for 3 years. They would not offer any more discount for cash payment so I took that option rather than just pay cash. No incentive not to do so. I had not checked my credit rating in years as I had no intention of financing anything but they must have checked it for me and my wife and it was listed on the paperwork. It was very good and hers was even better which confuses me a bit but does not matter.
Howard Green

21incher

We only got a doughnut with my wife's car also. I read the manual and it says that the donught can not be used on the front so if you get a flat up front a rear tire must be replaced by the doughnut and the full sized tire must go up front. Glad we got the 8 year plan with  road service  ;D. Looked into a factory full size tire and wheel but it's  cheaper to replace all 4 tires at Costco if there's a problem. They change the wheel castings every 2 years so you don't  have a chance of finding the same wheel at a junkyard. 
  Have you gotten  used to ASS? I was surprised the first time it shut off about  2 miles from the dealer  when we picked it up. There's  a button  to turn it off but we found if you don't push hard on the brake at a light it doesn't  engage. I guess if you live in a city it's  a good way to save gas but I really wonder what it does to starter life. 
 In our car that little  key in the fob will only  open the door so you are still in trouble with dead fob batteries.  The Ranger  I am waiting  for has a spot under the cupholder pad that you set the dead fob in and it will still start and drive if the fob is dead. 
  The app is another great  feature if you subscribe. I love being able to send a route to the navigation system while sitting  on the couch planning a trip. Plus it lowers  insurance  cost with the locator and shutdown features.  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WV Sawmiller

First - I have not driven it yet. It will need maintenance, washing or gas before I will be allowed to do do I suspect. ::)

I guess the ASS feature you are talking about is where it shuts itself off when you stop then restarts when you get ready to go. We have not shut that off or noticed it as a problem yet but it is real different to me. I understand not only do you have to turn it off but you have to turn it off each and every time you restart the car. 

The start/stop button is directly behind the right side lever for the lights and such and she can't see it when she sits behind the wheel so she has to look for it every time. She gets in the car with her fob out like she is going to put a key in a slot and turn it instead of just leaving it in her pocket which is all she has to do. I guess it will all click at some point.
Howard Green

Wlmedley

Didn't really want to buy a car this year but my old car is 17 years old and I'm not getting any younger.Have never bought a foreign car but Subaru has always interested me.Dealer said get online and build what you want and price shown is what you pay.I did this and printed it out and took to dealer.Dealer checked my credit and ordered car.No money exchanged at this point.Said car should be here by August. I am in no hurry.So far I like this way of buying a new car.Price was less than used one on lot with 30,000 miles.They said if I decide I don't like it when it comes in no problem they can sell it.Got email from Subaru saying it is on order.I'll let you know what happens 🙂
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

21incher

Not sure what model you got but we love our new Forester.  Always  had Fords before  but my sister was t boned in her forester by a Ram doing 60 mph and walked away last year. Anything  else and if would have been over for her. The car folded properly and airbags are properly  placed making it one of the safest affordable  vehicles. After  seeing  that we decided that a Forester would  be our next vehicle.  It's  not over powered with  the 2.5 boxer engine and has a safety rating  making it one of the lowest cost to insure vehicles on the road. I would recommend  getting an extended warranty on any pandemic  built vehicle and you should find the price is negotiable on the warranty from Subaru. The quality of ours from Japan is the best of any vehicle we have ever bought. Subaru is also honest about the build and expected delivery timeframe. They are worth the wait.

Wlmedley

I bought a forester also l hope  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Ianab

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 28, 2022, 09:23:17 PMThe start/stop button is directly behind the right side lever for the lights and such and she can't see it when she sits behind the wheel so she has to look for it every time. She gets in the car with her fob out like she is going to put a key in a slot and turn it instead of just leaving it in her pocket which is all she has to do. I guess it will all click at some point.

We have 2 Toyota's, same year, same "base platform" and same keyless entry,, But they switched the start button from the left side in my car, to the right in Lil's ??? They also moved the park brake to the floor...  Apart from that the cars are the same to drive, except you keep reaching for the wrong thing. :D  

It's like driving a Euro built vehicle, they have the indicators and wipers opposite to Japanese. Friends VW van is like that, and the windscreen gets cleaned a few extra times at intersections:D Then I get back in my Toyota ::)

We are creatures of habit like that. It's not like I haven't driven various Euro vehicles over the years, but it still trips me up. Same with paddle gear shift, my Toyota has it, Lil's doesn't, but my finger still reaches for it in her car. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Subaru are pretty popular here too. I can see that in a colder climate the 4WD would also be a big plus. (not to mention the modern safety standards) 

Good to see they are getting away from the "finance games". Car buyers in NZ generally wouldn't put up with that sort of crap. Many new car buyers can simply afford to buy outright, but might take advantage of low interest rates on new cars. Used car dealers might like to sell you overpriced car loans as they get a commission on itn. But just tell them you have the cash (or your own finance) and they settle on a price pretty quick. 

Last 3 used import cars we have bought have been online, and if they want "hits: on the online car sites, they have to put up a sensible price. Deal has been done over the internet, a small good faith deposit paid to hold the car until we can pick it up.  NZ consumer laws are pretty strict on car dealers, they know this, and probably factor x$ into each sale to cover warranty claims. 

Technically we could buy new, but the used vehicles ex Japan are too tempting  Higher spec, low miles etc. NZ is RHD, so same as domestic Japanese market. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

Ian,

That reminds me the gas tank is on the passenger (Right and correct) side on this one instead of on the driver (Left which is also correct driver's side ;)) side. That makes me think it is foreign design as I always think of US made vehicles having fuel fill on the left side.

I have always heard good things about Subaru also but we are partial to Dodge/Chrysler and started here because of the good service from the Service people there. We always said if we ever bought another we'd check there first because of them.
Howard Green

shelby78

The one thing about Subaru that bugged me when I looked was the high idle. In the winter in Canada they will high rev forever. Dealer said it's a Subaru thing. I Walked.

We just traded a 2021 Hyundai Kona ultimate with 4600kms after some issues. Have a 2022 Buick now. I only buy 4wheel drive vehicles for my wife but we live in Canada.

Bruno of NH

Subaru are one of the most popular cars in New England. 
Lots on the road , can be expensive to work on with lots of priority parts.
Second would be Honda. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Claybraker

Fuel is on the left on my 2015 Ram. Right side on my 2017 BMW. Rotary dial gear shift in the RAM. I like the rotary dial, the extra space they saved means there is a spot big enough for a full size 1911 where the gear shift would normally go. If we could get manufacturers to agree which side of the steering wheel the phone button goes that would be a good thing.

I like all the fancy electronical technology. Last November I thought I would upgrade the RAM to a newer model with all the fancy geewgaws my BMW has. HUD, 360 view cameras. There's a distinct lack of inventory. Then I shifted my paradigm and started looking at what else is out there. I liked the Honda Ridgeline. Some folks disparage it as NART. (Not A Real Truck) I don't need a full size. No vented seats on the US model. Canada Ridgelines have vented seats. At this point I may keep my checkbook closed until Rivian has their new plant in Georgia running.

gspren

Wife's daily driver is a Subaru Outback and mine is a Toyota 4Runner, Subies have gas door on right and the Toys are on the left so I often pull in or start to pull in wrong side. First Subaru was a Forester and this time an Outback, both good vehicles can't even say why we switched although that year 2016, the Outback had a higher tow rating.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!