iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak ID

Started by JoshNZ, August 24, 2022, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

I'm looking at an oak stand at the moment but owner isn't sure what they are.

We went for a look today and dissapointed to find the first leaves below, a red oak of some description I assume?

I poked my nose a bit further around the corner and then found the good stuff, hopefully what I'm looking at here is white oak? Doesn't quite look like the pictures online but anything in NZ I've found so far with round lobes turns out to be what we regard as white oak here.

Some of them are growing on this sidling with a bit of a lean on them, is this too much for oak logs?

Thanks!

Ianab

2nd lot is probably English Oak (Quercus robur). It's in the white oak group and probably the most common variety you will find around NZ (bought here by English settlers). Haven't sawed any, so I can't comment on how much lean will cause a problem. How far off centre the pith is in the log will give a clue about reaction wood and how it's going to behave once sawed.  ???
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JoshNZ

You must have this topic bookmarked Ian lol. English oak is what I'm after so that's good to hear.

I can never decipher pins from reds from blacks etc. No clue as to the former?

I'll see if I can be around when they knock them over.

Ianab

I'm sitting by the beach in Rarotonga right now. There isn't much happening, even Ralph the stray dog is having a siesta in the sand.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

IndiLina

The smooth bark and number of branches makes me think pin oak for the top one. 
Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

customsawyer

I would expect some stress in the lumber coming from the trees in the last picture. You have the slope but you also have them on the edge of a road. They have been reaching for that open sunlight their whole lives.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

JoshNZ

Bad enough that you'd tell them to leave them off the logger? Or just don't quarter saw them lol thin overlay flooring.

I've only managed to get my hands on a couple of white oak logs, one I did really well out of, hard to know if it was a fluke or not. The others are air drying still.

btulloh

Don't know what the cost or labor is to get those, but the roadside trees would be worth experimenting/learning with. My guess is the leaners have too much stress to make anything useful, but it's worth playing with a couple just to see what happens. Worst case, they'll make good firewood. 
HM126

WDH

Or, stock for cutting boards/charcuterie boards.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Blue Noser

Quote from: JoshNZ on August 24, 2022, 10:04:36 PM
I'm looking at an oak stand at the moment but owner isn't sure what they are.

We went for a look today and dissapointed to find the first leaves below, a red oak of some description I assume?

I poked my nose a bit further around the corner and then found the good stuff, hopefully what I'm looking at here is white oak? Doesn't quite look like the pictures online but anything in NZ I've found so far with round lobes turns out to be what we regard as white oak here.

Some of them are growing on this sidling with a bit of a lean on them, is this too much for oak logs?

Thanks!
The first one is northern red oak, Quercus rubra

WDH

On Northern red oak in my area, the depth of the sinus between the lobes does not go past halfway to the midrib.  Also the bark is blocky with silver streaks.  The first pic does not resemble the Northern red oak down here, but given that this tree is in New Zealand a long ways from its natural range, it may not be typical. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!