iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Life can change quickly

Started by Patrick NC, August 10, 2022, 02:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Got a call 2 weeks ago from my Mother saying dad wasn't feeling well and was going to the doctor to have some tests. Results came Monday. Advanced prostate cancer that has spread to his liver and bones. He hasn't seen an oncologist yet but the outlook isn't good.  I was just there to visit a month ago and everything seemed normal.  Kind of a shock how quickly things went south.  It's 1000 miles from here to where they live in Northern New York.  Luckily I have some money put back and a boss that told me to take all the time I need.  Leaving next week to go help out. Not sure how long I'll be, but there's not a whole lot of choice in a situation like this.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

moosehunter

A very unfortunate fact of life, our parents will get older and sometimes sick.
Glad you are able to take the time to spend with him and help out.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

Patrick,

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you and he have a great time together during the time you each have left. Keep us posted. Trouble shared is halved. Joys shared are doubled.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Sorry to hear this Patrick. Hopefully the oncologist has treatments available, I'll be praying to that end. 
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Sorry to hear that Patrick, went through almost the same thing this month a year ago with my father. Basically had a month, but at least he didn't suffer. My prayers are with you.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Oh this is such dreadful news Patrick.  My Heart and Prayers are with your entire family during this uncertain time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Spike60

This kind of crap is the worst shock. There's a lot more they can do than just a few years ago and it's constantly changing. Sometimes it goes the way of Southside's Dad. Other times people who are written off keep beating the prognosis and go on for years. 

I can tell you, that you haven't really had a sleepless night until you've heard your name and "cancer" in the same sentence. Everything changes. It's like BC and AD on the calendar, but it sands for Before Cancer and After Diagnosis. Dad needs a buddy right now, so try and keep his spirits up and positive. You're as important as his oncologist right now. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

beenthere

Prayers for your Dad and family.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tawilson

I can personally recommend AMP in Syracuse for prostate cancer treatment. 
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

moodnacreek

Patrick, although we have never met I think of you when I go up over Dannemora  and up to rt 11. Be strong for your father. I don't know what else to say, Doug

Bruno of NH

Patrick prayers for your Dad and family. Go help your Dad and keep his spirits in a good way.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Nebraska

Sorry to see this. Praying  for your dad.

kantuckid

Hope he has many years to come, it's a concern for all us old farts. 

As a senior male: 
My annual blood work, done for many reasons, contains prostate information which is used instead of the old finger test and even more recent tests I've had. 
Mine are OK, but do provide tell-tale info to use for any concerning prostate related results from that routine blood work. 
Mostly I watch cholesterol and renal panel numbers for my own issues.

My hope is that as I age, knock on wood, the annual wellness tests give me some lead time on bad stuff. 
 Medicare paid for, plus United Healthcare Supplemental pays my wife & me @ $25 ea to do the wellness visits. They used to pay $50 yearly, cheapskates.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Ed_K

So sorry to hear this, I hope you can help your Dad anyway you can.
Ed K

Poquo

Patrick, prayers for your Dad and family.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Patrick NC

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. His oncologist appointment is Monday afternoon. I'll have a better idea of what direction we are going in then.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

terrifictimbersllc

Very sorry to hear Patrick. Wishing you all the best.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Walnut Beast

Tom King

Wishing your family the Best of Luck!

scsmith42

I'll add your folks to my prayer list.  Praying for a complete recovery!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I too am very sorry to read this. Be strong as you can.  Thoughts and prayers for you and your family, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

CCCLLC

Keep the faith Patrick.  Prayers for you and family. 

Jim_Rogers

Good luck and hopefully your family will get well soon.
Prayers also.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Percy

Hope all goes well and things get better...Being with him is important and you are doing the right thing by going back. Positive karma sent...keep us informed if you can.. smiley_heart smiley_heart
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Patrick NC

This thread is proof of the high caliber of people on this forum.  Thank you all.

Thank You Sponsors!