iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mini Excavator Choice

Started by YellowHammer, September 07, 2022, 08:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Quote from: customsawyer on September 27, 2022, 08:22:10 PM
FYI I got mine in today and it is pretty awesome. Still some learning to do before I get good at it but we are starting to mesh. In my flat mostly sandy land I feel like I can clear a place faster than I can with the bush hog type mower on the CTL. Keep in mind that I haven't run that mower more than about 15 hours as I don't like the wear it seems to put on the loader.
Let's see some pictures when you get a chance

customsawyer

Well here she is on the truck and a few pictures after some work. The front blade is coming in this week and will add more stability. I've cleared over a acre, removed the stumps and have it down to dirt in about 2 hours on the meter. I will have some more work to do to burn off the trash but it should go fast with some of the other rolling stock, once I get some moisture around here.  I had my friend come over and I think I showed him that the strength of the machine is the same. Only the controls are different. All of the hoses are the same size on each of the cylinders regardless which joystick you are using.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Walnut Beast

That is really nice!!! Glad your liking it! That should serve you very well 💪💪. Great pictures 👍

YellowHammer

Jake's machine showed up about an hour to two after we left, so I couldn't drive it.  Actually, we passed it on the the highway and said "I winder if that's his?"  It looks nice!

So I've been calling several of the mulcher head companies, and even talked to Ryan (Thanks  @Walnut Beast for the contact info) and what is confusing me is the difference between a $16,000 Indeco and a $23,000 Prinoth or similar.  They use about the same teeth, whether steel or carbide, some of both use piston motors so don't need a case drain, and they are all essentially cutting shafts with two greasable bearings?  They all weigh about the same, too, within a few hundred pounds, anyway.  

So what am I missing?  Better shaft materials, better bearings?  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

What's going in the clearing Jake?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

YH maybe some of the other makes that you mention might be fine. They could use same or similar parts or not. Bearings, pumps, steel material, design, longevity, spool up time, balancing, just to mention a few things. I'm on five different Facebook mulching sites and you see and hear it all. The ones I mentioned are what most guys run that have one skid to guys that have millions in equipment. You sometimes hear of somebody running a off make head and then getting one of the five mentioned and can't believe the difference. Take for instance the Prinoth head I'm getting it makes a finer mulch and has a better vacuum at picking up wood than the other ones mentioned but some guys  don't like how many teeth it has because of cost and sharpening from the bottom. They do have ones now to sharpen from the top. They have skinny teeth that really cut but they don't have the vacuum affect as the wider ones. Many variables on all aspects. Most generally there are reasons of cheaper vs more expensive. 

Walnut Beast

Here is another company you could look at that makes good stuff and is partnered with ASV on promoting their  mulchers. The excavator page

https://www.loftness.com/product/battle-ax-20-series/

customsawyer

SS the plan is to clear the area right behind the mill shed and place the dirt from the pond I'm digging. This will increase my working space and give me some where to put the dirt. I also want to have a pile of dirt to fill the holes that seem to develop in a log yard. They say it's just dirt but when you start having to buy it by the truck load it isn't fun. I would hate to add up how much I have spent in fill dirt, top soil and rocks for my yard. It would be nice to have a pile of fill and another of top soil that I can just use out of instead of using a check. I also have always wanted a pond on my own place so we're going to fix that too.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Southside

Sounds awesome. Try some Geotek fiber under your final surfacing on the mill yard and driveway. Makes all the difference in the world. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Jake
A good friend started a small dirt work company 30 years ago.
He started with a Komatsu excavator. 
He's now one of the biggest local contractors around. A fleet of Komatsu equipment. His fleet has some of the largest excavators around .
Komatsu has treated him well. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Threads like this keep me going.
It sets goals for me as to keep at it.
That way I can add some more equipment. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

Jake's plan is a good one.....let's see...get on a big Tonka Toy, dig a humongous hole, move the dirt to increase his usable acreage, let the hole fill with water, put some fish in it, and increase his land value at the same time.  Then after a day of sawing, go out to the pond, throw some dynamite in, net some floating fish, have a fish fry and relax.  What could possibly be more fun than that?  (I added in the throw the dynamite thing, but I bet it wouldn't take much to get Jake to sign up for that) 

Meanwhile, I'm waiting her in the wings for my smaller Tonka Toy to show up with my Tree O Matic super duper log grinder.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 02, 2022, 08:42:15 AM
Meanwhile, I'm waiting her in the wings for my smaller Tonka Toy to show up with my Tree O Matic super duper log grinder.
Gezz, I love when you big dogs use all the fancy technical terms! I seldom understand it but still feel empowered knowing guys like y'all. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 02, 2022, 08:42:15 AM
Jake's plan is a good one.....let's see...get on a big Tonka Toy, dig a humongous hole, move the dirt to increase his usable acreage, let the hole fill with water, put some fish in it, and increase his land value at the same time.  Then after a day of sawing, go out to the pond, throw some dynamite in, net some floating fish, have a fish fry and relax.  What could possibly be more fun than that?  (I added in the throw the dynamite thing, but I bet it wouldn't take much to get Jake to sign up for that)

So what did you get coming in for a grinder or is that going to be a little surprise of finding out till you get the new toy in. That's ok ! 

customsawyer

I like everything except the dynamite thing. All the neighbors will be over here wanting some. 
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

That's funny!

Since I am on the waiting list for the KX-057, there's not a whole lot I can do except wait and spend time investigating the mulchers.  

I'm still pretty bummed out about the used KX80 deal falling through, and I priced out a new one at $120K.  So a new KX-57 is $80K, and the difference is $40K which is a pretty big difference for a machine used on a farm.  I like the heavier weight of the 080 but also like that I can trailer the -57 at 13,000+ pounds, if I ever need to.  My daughter has already asked to bring it to her place when it comes in.  I have noticed that with equipment like this, friends and relatives have jobs to do, which is fine.  The larger machine would be locked to the farm, as I wouldn't have any way to trailer it.  

I'm looking at some of the more professional mulchers and still have some calls out, to all the companies that are listed. 

Either model excavator I buy, I would need to get a cutter, so I'm thinking of the KX57 with a higher end mulcher and it would easily accomplish my primary goal of grinding trees to ground level faster and trim back branches, although slower digging up stumps.

Either one would build my dream trout pond, which I have always wanted to do on this farm.  I have lots of springs and some of the cleanest and cold water in the area, the same aquifer that Jack Daniel's uses to make whiskey, and I've got one beautiful valley that would be perfect for a private, spring fed trout pond.  Wouldn't that be cool?

Another big issue is that I've sat in both models at the dealer, and the smaller 57-5 has lots of upgrades over the KX80-4 series including a much bigger and more comfortable cab with modern seat and hand control adjustments.  Since I'm 6'4" tall, leg room is essential and the KX57-5 is huge inside the cab and the old model KX80-4 is actually kind of cramped.  It also KX57-5 has an updated control station with dedicated selector buttons and electric control of the aux hydraulic functions whereas the larger but older -4 version in the KX-80 has less interior room, the aux hydros must be switched manually under the hood with a hand valve, and doesn't have nearly the interior ergonomics.  Old school best describes it.   I'm sure Kubota is coming out with a KX80-5 version sometime, but it's not out yet.  Interestingly enough, my wife has given me the green light for either model, even with the increased cost, so it's a difficult decision.      

I've got a couple options downselcted on the mulchers with two finalists so far. The Prinoth that Ryan has is pretty nice and he has one on stock that would fit either machine, for about $23K and Indeco has two models that will fit and have a lead time of less than a month.  I haven't called the Loftess company yet, they have a nice one, but it requires a case drain and has a double cutting head to reduce chip size which seems to me would take more power and may be not what I want.

YellowHammerisms:

Southside

You do realize that you will have to bring the machine to the project and demo the Jelly Donut mulching technique while Jake does the smash and grab technique.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: customsawyer on October 02, 2022, 09:01:02 PM.... All the neighbors will be over here wanting some.
Dynamite or fish?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

YellowHammer

Both!

It's the South!  Hey Ya'll, toss in another stick of dynamite, I saw something still moving over there on the far side of the pond, and while yer at it, pass me a couple more hunks of fried catfish.

Best of both worlds.
YellowHammerisms:

YellowHammer

Also, the Torret/Solaris commercial mulchers are using round teeth.  I received a bid on one of them, about $25K, but only about 400 pounds so can trim high limbs at full boom reach.  They have super strong titanium shafts and are apparently also sold as the mulcher of choice for Caterpillar excavators.    
YellowHammerisms:

Walnut Beast

Actually the CAT branded mulchers are FAE units. With sharp teeth you are able to mow grass also on that mulcher head. I'll get you the owners personal number of Tennessee Valley Equipment. He might have something for you. He has FAE, Prinoth, Shearex, He knows his stuff and is a good guy. He's the guy I mentioned earlier with the two Timberpro units and all the big equipment. 

customsawyer

If memory serves my excavator will be close to 36,000 pounds when the blade is added. This means for me to move it I will have to hire it done. So if any friends want me to come use it on their place they are the ones that have to pay that fee. I've learned that if I can move it myself then they all think I should do the work for free. If they have to pay for moving it then I don't get near as many request for free work. ;D If it is a job worth doing than the haul bill is part of the job.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

I've made a good deal on a Solaris mulcher yesterday, and I believe it's the best choice for me.  It's got a solid titanium rotor so is relatively lightweight which means I can mulch fully extended and won't cause the excavator to be unstable, and it has a unique style tooth that is very resistant to rocks, and my ground is covered with them.  It took a decent amount of negotiation, but they beat my best price, and were very responsive.  

It comes with an extra set of teeth and Kubota Quick Attach coupler, and best of all, it is in stock.  The manufacturer will machine and install the quick attach plate in the next week or so, then ship the whole thing.  I'll carry it to the dealer and get it installed and running. 

Here are a couple videos on it, one with it eating a rock to show how durable the teeth are, and another mounted to a Kubota 57, like the one that I'm getting shortly.

Solaris Torrent Mulcher EX30 - YouTube

28" Shark on Kubota KX057 - YouTube
YellowHammerisms:

samandothers

customsawyer

In the second video I would recommend that he turn the machine around so he is working off of the Idler sprocket of the tracks. From what I have learned that is better for a excavator. I only watched a few min of the video so he might have later.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!