iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just bought some logs for the first time.

Started by Menagerie-Manor, September 15, 2022, 02:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menagerie-Manor

Just bought 3 Doug fir trees about 80 to 90 feet long 30" at the base tapered to about 18" with minimal branches (real clean) and the guy is cutting to 12'-6"and delivering all for $300, did I do ok.
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

beenthere

MM 
Not for us to decide. Hope you end up feeling you did okay. You now have wood to saw and that has to make you happy. 

Where are the pics?  We like pics.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

What do you estimate the yield will be? What do you estimate the cost to saw them? What do you estimate your transport, storage and marketing costs will be if selling them? If you plan to use the wood for personal use what would it cost you to buy it?

When you have the answer to those questions you will know if it was a good deal.  ;) Let us know what you find.

Also remember, no matter what you find you will learn something from this and paying for an education is rarely a bad thing. The next time someone offers to sell you logs you will be deciding/answering more confidently.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fluidpowerpro

I second what beenthere said. 
Especially if your going to use the wood for personal use, then I think for sure you did good. 
I'd say you got the logs for free and paid $300 for delivery.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

SawyerTed

Ball park that's $0.15 +/- per board foot for logs delivered.  I'd say that's pretty good. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Menagerie-Manor

Well humping logs out of my woods can be a bit much getting up in age as most will appreciate and the guy is getting paid for disposal, they're up the road about a 1/2 mile.

Never paid before so I was working without a net.

I'm using every bit for personal use so $300 for a load of logs delivered within 50" of my mill I think is fair.
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

Ljohnsaw

Well, I think you did great but it depends on the market.  

Last year I bought a load of "great" logs as the trucker called them, turns out they were unicorn logs ;).  They were 36-38 SE at 33', straight with very few knots.  So I think it was 6 or 7 logs on the truck and that cost me $1,400.  Was about 4,600 bd-ft all cut.  These were fantastic logs.  Early this year, a guy gave me a monster tree from his place down the "street".  Two logs from it barely fit on the truck bunks.  Butt of 48" and second log of 39" and were 35' long.  Over 5,000 bd-ft.  Cost me $600 to be hauled 15 miles.

Same trucker this year had "good" logs for me.  I got two loads at $1,500 each.  A few 16.5' (one 14' snuck in) and one top log (lots of knots).  But, I needed them and I will use them.

Got a call looking to drop a load or two of free logs from this logger.  I'm real close and I guess I "paid" for them with the first two loads this year.  Will just be the first and second logs as they will be chipping the rest.  The land owner is paying to dispose of the wood.  I need these as well.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

moodnacreek

Delivered' 18" tip + straight fresh logs' yes you did good.

firefighter ontheside

Delivery of those logs is probably worth $300.  You got the logs for free.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

barbender

Even if they were all only 18" top, and you got 18 logs, figuring 6-12' from each tree (man you West coast guys make me jealous with your timber) that would be around 2500 board feet Doyle scale. I'm paying about $1800 for a 5000bf load of pine logs, I'd say your doing great- especially seeing what guys have been paying for good DF out there lately. 
Too many irons in the fire

kantuckid

I'd say (the opposite of above) you bought the wood for $300 and delivery is free. Fact is he's not gonna sell them unless hauled to a user and you might have been even closer to his trees? EWP near me pays from 20 for smaller stuff up to 30 cents if nice and Doug Fir should be worth the same or more? 
You scored a deal IMO. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Brad_bb

No pictures, then it never happened ;D

Well you know your cost per bf.  What will it sell for in your area?  Is the difference enough to cover your other costs plus your profit?

Do you plan so sell or use for yourself? 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!