iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arthritic worn out knee questions

Started by gspren, September 25, 2022, 09:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

Lots of threads on this with lots of experience. For years I've had what I always called lower leg pain every day just occasional knee pain so I finally saw an ortho PA-C who after a bunch of x-rays says both knees are bone on bone and arthritic and he believes that is the source of the pain down through my leg, no pain sitting or laying down just standing or walking and gets worse as the day goes on, again it's not the knee that hurts to me. Has anyone else experienced this? He recommends cortisone shots in both, how much good do they do?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

go see a pain doc that does hyaluronic acid.  get a second opinion.  most everyone's knees are bone on bone at age 70.  not saying they are wrong, but you need experts that do more than surgery sometimes to be sure.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

My bad knee was due to a motorcycle accident and subsequent cartilage loss.  My TKR was the absolute best decision that I could have ever made.

Maybe not the best option for everyone, but for me there is no question.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

The part that puzzles me is that the pain isn't in the knee. Through the years I've twisted or sprained a knee and the knee hurt for awhile but then quit, this is different.

doc henderson

there can be referred pain, and nerve pain just to make it interesting.  it is easy for folks to jump to the thing they do.  It is no fun, just like with cars and equipment to fix something that may be worn, but not the source of the problem.  or do the big fix, when a little fix may be fine for years.  You also do not want to wait until your health is bad enough that the survival rate drops off.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

My actual knee pain was mostly going down stairs/steps.  That was also the activity that took the longest to regain after TKR surgery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

My knee is bad and it causes calf and quadriceps pain, generally from the misalignment and unnatural stretching of some muscles and reduced flexibility of others.  

A steroid shot is a minimal procedure, hurts less than a flu shot, and generally will alleviate my pain in a couple days, and it lasts for quite some time as it lets the tissues reduce swelling and improves my range of motion.  I've had three of them, and for me they last 6 months to a year before I do something stupid and hurt it again.  I am bone on bone. 

I am a big proponent of a good physical therapist, they will be able to gently work your knee, strengthen it and increase flexibility.  Most PT will start to see significant improvement in a couple weeks, and if I can lock in on the exercises that are working, many times the pain will slowly go away as the muscles take more of the joint load, stretch and get stronger.  We are not talking weight lift, more of a Pilates type stretch.  Surprisingly, doing the correct pt exercises will stop 75% of the pain for me, as it is soft tissue pain, in my case.   

I've never done anything other than cortisone but I understand the acid and gel treatments are quite effective.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kantuckid

Like Magicman said!!! 
Had I not had both hips replaced I'd be in a wheelchair or FT use of a walker, period. Now I'm working everyday on my feet. 
As we age, the PT rehab of a knee becomes less of a helpful choice as the osteo sets in. My hip guy is my knee guy and both he and his 25 years of experience PA give my knee shots. This wed I get #14 left knee shot and shot #1 rt knee shot. The shots work but over time you'll benefit less & less-mine are a Godsend for about 2 months then it's NSAIDS only.
 Last week I got both shoulders juiced up, same shot (shoulder doc not my knee/hip doc) as doc mentions and it flat out works in ~ 2 days yer good to go. Bit deeper poke with the shoulders than the kneecap injection but no big deal. Mine have been lasting almost 2 months with both knees and shoulder. Over time it worsens then the TJR is it for relief. 
Hips require you be under a scope to place that same injection. Hands, wrists do not as I've experienced several of those for trigger finger and CTS. 
Couple years back when I tore my inner left meniscus it worked great on a bicycle, still does, but nasty indeed climbing stairs thus my point is that exercise still matters even if it doesn't "fix your joint", as it might keep you healthy overall. Swimming is another more weightless PT choice for knee rehab.

Maybe this winter I'll get a knee or two? This Wed I'll know more as new xrays both sides.  
Nerve wise I often have sciatic pain, alternates from R to L mostly left. It makes for some weird pains as my left knee deteriorates. Our body weight is a huge factor in a joint TJR surgery recovery in lower limbs! My "good knee" has worsened as it carries the water on stairs and ladders for the bad one. I'm nearly at the point I cannot raise my body via one left leg anymore in a deep bend. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 26, 2022, 08:19:08 AM
My knee is bad and it causes calf and quadriceps pain, generally from the misalignment and unnatural stretching of some muscles and reduced flexibility of others.  

A steroid shot is a minimal procedure, hurts less than a flu shot, and generally will alleviate my pain in a couple days, and it lasts for quite some time as it lets the tissues reduce swelling and improves my range of motion.  I've had three of them, and for me they last 6 months to a year before I do something stupid and hurt it again.  I am bone on bone.

I am a big proponent of a good physical therapist, they will be able to gently work your knee, strengthen it and increase flexibility.  Most PT will start to see significant improvement in a couple weeks, and if I can lock in on the exercises that are working, many times the pain will slowly go away as the muscles take more of the joint load, stretch and get stronger.  We are not talking weight lift, more of a Pilates type stretch.  Surprisingly, doing the correct pt exercises will stop 75% of the pain for me, as it is soft tissue pain, in my case.  

I've never done anything other than cortisone but I understand the acid and gel treatments are quite effective.  
Cortisone is part of the shot, doc mentioned. It also has a mild anesthetic as the 3rd part for more immediate relief, plus the topical cold skin sprayed shot that tempers the needle entry. My neighbor, who wont allow a joint replacement-he's stuck with gel or cortisone until he can no longer walk at all. 

barbender

I'm sitting in an urgent care clinic at the moment, I did something to my left knee a few weeks back and it has deteriorated to the point that when I got here, I had to call them and have them come out to my vehicle with a wheel chair🤦‍♂️ I don't even know what I did to it- I was maneuvering our camper around with my manual tranny pickup. The clutch is stiff and really grabby, and something happened to my knee when using it. Now 3 weeks later I can't walk. I'll see what we figure out🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

you are kinda young for all this trouble.  I hope there is a fix, but after and injury often surgery seems to be the only fix.  good luck.

barbender

Thanks Doc. Got an x ray, wasn't expecting that to show much unless there was something egregious. Dr said everything looked good on the bones, good separation at the knee joint. Get to have an MRI in the morning.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kantuckid

Quote from: doc henderson on September 26, 2022, 05:13:31 PM
you are kinda young for all this trouble.  I hope there is a fix, but after and injury often surgery seems to be the only fix.  good luck.
When I went to my required THR class (before my first hip) there were people there younger than our kids! As I recall they had chronic illness, etc..
Good that yer getting a full check. Youth allows healing fasted and better soon I hope. 

barbender

Got the MRI first thing this morning, now I just have to wait for results.

Ed_K

Next time you get an MRI stop at the front desk an tell them you need a copy for your records. I wait about 15 mins and they come out with it. Bring it home an stick it in you puter disk reader an you can see what they see but you'll have to wait for someone from a long ways away to read and send you a readout.
Ed K

barbender

Thanks Ed, I'm going to request a copy. If for no other reason than I may want to shop around for knee work😁

The Radiologist did look at my MRI and apparently I have a torn meniscus. What to do with it, other than staying off my feet more or less, I don't know yet because no one has followed up with me. I'll harass them more tomorrow.

beenthere

Good luck getting a copy.
I could not get the x-ray images of my bone-on-bone knees. Like they are "their" property, and maybe also to keep me from "shopping" around or whatever.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kantuckid

Both U of KY and my regional hospital have a sign -in chart record that I get online. I got two knee xrays on wednesday (two shoulder ones last week) and next day I get a professional analysis for the xrays. I can order my own copy on there as well. They are the service provider so I have zero interest in having a copy of something I know zero about interpreting anyway. 
They call it "My Chart" and it allows cross discipline looks for all my providers in that system-like my meds Rx list for one e.g.. 
My knees both got shots which are great for maybe 2 months then worsen but not gonna get a fix until I can tell them I'm unable to pursue my lifestyle which isn't true so far. Can I hike like I love to do-NO! but you can't go in there and tell them yer climbing ladders and get a TKR either.  :D
They will not schedule me for knee MRI's until joint replacement is closer as the xrays tell them enough at much lower cost. 

gspren

Has anyone had any luck with knee braces?

beenthere

After knee pain and getting the X-rays of both knees, had a knee replacement scheduled. But in the meantime, for a different reason, I started massaging the muscle just above the knee. Use a random orbital sander (without paper) and massage each knee once a day for about 30 seconds. 
Knee pain went away. Told the surgeon on pre-surgery visit, when he asked me how the knee pain was, and I said "really isn't any since massaging with ros." 
So no surgery, which was scheduled for Dec. 1, 2021. And no knee pain since, and still once a day massaging both knees. Maybe someday the pain will come back. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Quote from: beenthere on September 30, 2022, 11:29:21 AM
 Use a random orbital sander (without paper) and massage each knee once a day for about 30 seconds.
Knee pain went away. 

There is nothing an old wood man cannot cure with a good sander.  :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

If they get really sore hit them with the Sawzall with no blade installed😁

gspren

Do you think a Makita vibratory would work? That's the closest I've got unless you count my belt sander :o.

Gary_C

Quote from: beenthere on September 29, 2022, 11:43:29 PM
Good luck getting a copy.
I could not get the x-ray images of my bone-on-bone knees. Like they are "their" property, and maybe also to keep me from "shopping" around or whatever.

I just got my copy of Medicare and You for 2023 and just happened to see this statement.

By law, you or your legal representative have the right to view and/or get copies of your personal health information from your health care providers.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!