iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cordless power tools

Started by Walnut Beast, September 26, 2022, 03:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Anybody looking to put up or repair fence look into the Milwaukee fence stapler. Looked at one in a small town where they had a big hedge post to staple to in the store. Wow! And big heavy staples! 

https://www.protoolreviews.com/milwaukee-m18-fuel-utility-fencing-stapler/

doc henderson

neat.  I love staples, but not much fence to do around here (my house).  one big project would make that a no brainer.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Same here. I was surprised how heavy duty the staples were. All these different electric tools are pretty impressive and effective now

YellowHammer

I've got an electric Hitachi nailer, and it is amazing.  I've got many air nailers (we used to build and trim houses) and I never use them anymore.

I just got a battery grease gun, a battery leaf blower (It's OK) and a battery weed eater.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

gspren

Since I sold the farm I no longer do fencing but I still like looking. I've gradually started decommissioning my old Makita battery tools and replacing with Milwaukee M18. Last month my brother and I went to our cabin to mow and I took my M18 Fuel string trimmer along and after using it my brother ordered one and said he's selling his gas trimmer.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

boonesyard

Milwaukee is great stuff, I have a lot of their tools in both the M12 and M18 platform. We used a lot of air finishing staplers, nailers, and framers before they started to really dial in these cordless platforms, we've never looked back. I purchased the M18 framing nailer when we started the new sawmill build and it has not missed a beat. Heavier than air but worth the weight to get rid of the hose, IMO. Never used the fence stapler, but I'll bet it works well. Looks like a beast. Let us know how it works, once you pull the trigger  :).
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

aigheadish

After hand stapling some chicken wire stuff to the bottom of my barn (to help keep critters out) for 40 feet I'd decided that hand stapling was no way to live. I went and got a power stapler from HF. It's nowhere near as beefy as that Milwaukee but for the job I'm doing it doesn't need to be. Either way they are a treat on the hands and muscles. Much easier and much faster.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

21incher

I am in the process  of switching all my battery  tools from Dewalt  to Milwaukee.  For light fencing I bought the m18 narrow  crown stapler that works awesome.  I also picked  up the m12 t50 type staples for upholstery work that is awesome.  Picking  up the 23 ga pin nailer next. It's unbelievable how well the m18 tools perform with  great battery life plus they care about  ergonomics.  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

JD Guy

Looks like a nice product! With many projects here at our place 20 years ago I bought a Paslode Framing nailer and what a time saver, even lets you hold lumber with one hand and drive the nail home at the same time.

Sure wish that this fence staple gun had been around then as we built quite a bit of fence, with several mashed fingers from holding the staples😬😬

barbender

I've been getting an assortment of Milwaukee M12 tools, and I'm very impressed with the performance. All of my 18 volt (20 volt Max🙄) stuff is Dewalt, which for the most part has served me well. I feel myself drawn toward the M18 tools...
Too many irons in the fire

aigheadish

I'm pretty pleased with the M18 grease gun I have and the M18 cordless circular saw I just got. The saw is very quiet, which made me think it was not going to work or have the power needed but so far it's tearing through anything I throw at it, and I'm much more likely to grab it since I can take it anywhere. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

DARRELL1972

Love this generation of battery tool options. I personally have dwalt. I like the fact that the 60v platform batteries run the 20v platform as well. 
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

Southside

Watched a very well done video yesterday. Apparently Milwaukee thought it would be a great idea to reengineer their 1/2" impact. Went from the absolute best one on the market to worse than HF junk. There are videos of guys in Home Depot parking lots with store managers standing there breaking tool after tool trying to remove lug nuts off a passenger car.  

Why do companies do such things? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Yeah I heard about problems with their new impact too. I bet heads are rolling😬

Dave Shepard

The newer version looked like it was cheaper to manufacture. They said Milwaukee was eagerly looking into the problem. If they don't make it right, it will cost them dearly.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

btulloh

Interesting. I'm glad I got two before they were "improved ". Big daddy and momma bear both work great. 
HM126

sawguy21

My buddy the log truck driver bought a Milwaukee cordless grease gun, says it is the best investment he ever made. A messy job that used to take an hour is now twenty minutes. I have a Ridgid cordless drill that saved a lot of aggravation when I rebuilt my fifth wheel travel trailer, no more dropping the extension cord. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

aigheadish

Sawguy- I agree, just in the name of not worrying much about priming the grease gun makes it worth while. 

barbender

That is the main benefit of the cordless Milwaukee grease gun to me- it primes immediately. I've had manual grease guns nearly send me into fits of rage before because they refused to prime!

btulloh

For a simple thing, a grease gun can be maddening at times. I think I've learned how to head off most problems now, but it only took me 70 years. Guess I'm a slow learner. Happy to be in the battery world now, but I still use a couple old ones with special types of grease. 
HM126

Southside

Don't get me wrong, my Milwaukee grease gun is far superior than the Lincoln it replaced, and it is a great place to store empty tubes of grease and dead batteries.  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

What was wrong with the Lincoln grease gun and what v batteries

Southside

The Lincoln was OK, replaced the trigger and the pump motor over time, felt like I should have gotten more service life out of it for what I paid but it was OK.

The Milwaukee is just better, pumps faster, with more pressure, and is simple to bleed unlike the Lincoln.

On the impact they replaced a fully caged planetary gear drive with three little pins about the size of the ones that are on the WM debarker in and out motor. They don't last in that application so why would one think they would work in an impact is beyond me. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

I agree, I was so proud to buy the Lincoln and thought I was paying for the top quality tool.  it disappointed more than anything, maybe expectations were too high.  I just use manual guns now.  when i think I might use it, the batt. is dead off the charger, even though not used.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

I own a variety of battery tools.  Its hard to go outside of one brand as you have to also have to get the charger, the battery and the tool.  Like printer cartridges, they get to your wallet with the batteries.

I have a large set of Dewalt tools that work well.  I bought them during one of their big specials at Home Depot.  Buy the 4 piece set and get two more tools free or a tool and batteries.  So I of course got the batteries.  I use the hammer drill all the time to remove lug nuts.  It also really helped assembling my HM130max mill with all its nylon lock nuts.

My only Milwaukee tool is the branch trimmer.  The battery charge lasts a long time and surprised me for the work it was doing.

The Stihl Hedge Trimmer is an internal battery and its better than average.  The trimmer is pretty light, cuts well.

Ryobi Battery caulking gun.  Great time saver.  As the load on the battery for this isn't much, I don't know what to say about Ryobi.

I was disappointed in my Hitachi Small drill batteries.  One battery was defective out of the box and sometimes the battery isn't charged even though the charger indicator light stops flashing.  It does charge fast when it does work.  The drill itself is a good tool.

One other thing I did was buy a micro spot welder(its pricey) and rebuilt some battery packs.  Some old Black & Decker stuff was reborn and a battery powered air mattress inflator was saved as well.  Its pretty good, if I have a job where I'm drilling a pilot hole, then driving a wood screw in I have multiple drills to switch between with multiple batteries.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!