iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Creosote problem in stovepipe

Started by Wlmedley, September 27, 2022, 10:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

Doc, it couldn't have worked out any better.Had it hanging perfectly straight and I kept shaking and twisting a little and it went right in.You're right if I would have tried to lower by hand I probably would have hung up and tore insulation.I hardly ever get this lucky.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Wlmedley

50 degrees outside now.Built a fire and after it burned approximately half a hour I climbed up and checked pipe.Inside pipe would fry spit and outside just a little warm.Should be good to go.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

doc henderson

he probably enjoyed helping out, and now you can look for a more personal way to help him back, and so on.  makes for good neighbors.  i sure hope this solves your creosote problem.  cannot make it worse.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Stephen1

Great fix and neighbours are can be the best!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

peakbagger

Wlmedley

He has a fire pit behind his house where I suspect a little beer is consumed. I'm thinking I'll build him a bench to set out beside it  :laugh:

cutterboy

Happy to hear all went well. Good neighbors are a blessing. BTW, nice place you have there.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Wlmedley

Update on insulation job.Have been using stove for around 7 weeks since insulating it.Has been warm some days and fire barely burning which is the worst thing for forming creosote.Climbed up top chimney today and looked it over.Insulation has definitely made a big difference.A little bit at the last inch where flange kept from getting insulated but the rest looks really good.Hope information helps others that have similar problem. Thanks to all for the advice.

doc henderson

looks good.  at least now if it slows draft, you can easily clean that area.  it is the bird screen on my shop that clogs up.  not on the house, as it drafts well and burns hot.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ron Scott

Are the "creosote cleaning logs" that are sold at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. worth using? They are now about $22.00/log.
~Ron

doc henderson

they sound too good to be true.  I like to lay eyes on my chimney top.  I am a bit younger.   ::)  that sounds expensive

Wlmedley

Pretty nice day today and as I never removed ladder after insulating stove pipe I climbed up and looked at pipe.Have been burning steady since installing insulation and I'm pretty confident one cleaning a year is going to be fine which is what I was hoping for.I think it was well worth the time and money  :laugh:

cutterboy

It's great when things work out the way you want them to.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

doc henderson

looks great.  your stove should be more efficient too.  the increased insulation will keep the gas hotter and decrease condensation and creosote, but also increase draft and thus air directed at the burn. when opened up.  a hotter fire will occasionally take care of some creosote that may build when things are shut down too low for a few days.  

Don P

It should be way better than it was but like Doc was alluding to, hard burning is clean, how you burn and how hot the stack stays at part throttle is a biggie. That is where more tars go unburned, condense/drop out and stick.

jmur1

Quote from: Ron Scott on December 08, 2022, 06:08:07 PM
Are the "creosote cleaning logs" that are sold at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. worth using? They are now about $22.00/log.
I had tried those logs a few times.  It didnt seem to keep up with my house fire creosote production.  I recently bought the style of sweeper that connect to your cordless drill and you can can clean from the bottom.  Has worked very well.  Also replaced the shop fire with the insulated pipe last year.  Its night and day difference.  Very little creosote made in the insulated pipe.
jmur1 
Easy does it

Wlmedley

This is what last section of uninsulated pipe looked like last year at this time.

doc henderson

Al_Smith

I did it a little bit differently  .It's a 7 inch 22 gauge seamless single wall stainless steel inside a 9 inch clay liner .It's only 14 feet from the top of the chimney to the top of the insert .The last 6 feet is stuffed with fiber glass insulation .Which will take 1400 degrees and it will never get that hot .The pipe joints are coupled using stainless steel pop rivets which I had to buy a compound leverage tool to even install them .I only clean it once a year .I bought the pipe at a builders supply rather than a so called stove shop for a fraction of the price .I'm rather frugal about  things .A penny saved is a penny earned old Ben of kite flying fame once said .Ben was rather mouthy and said a lot of things ,some I can't put on an open forum . :D

Wlmedley

Burning season is over for me this year.Cleaned ashes out of stove and climbed up to clean pipe.The last month or so have been letting fire smolder when burning with warm days and cool nights and was expecting quite a bit of creosote in pipe.Have to say insulation around pipe was a complete success.Maybe a cup full of creosote.Want to thank everyone for your input.Like Forest Gump said,one less thing  :laugh:

SwampDonkey

Not burning much wood here now, soon be cleaning the flu for next season as well. I just stacked 2-1/2 cord into the basement today to fill up the wood room. Another 7 out there in the pile to stack. Hopefully can stack it all under the porch with some more pallets put down. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodroe

Reading this thread made me look into my cleanout door and up 
30' with a mirror. 
Its a center house brick chimney w a 8" round refractory cement liner.
There is about a qt. of white dust in the cleanout from the winters burn and looking up appears very smooth and round, no buildup . Burning very dry wood helps alot.
I do wish I had insulated the above roof section of chimney. 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Firewoodjoe

Just a quick question so I'll throw it on here. My stove pipe was all new this year. Burned maybe 2 full cord all winter. Not a lot. I just started a fire this morning to cut the chill. Using dry pine. And I swear the lower section of pipe inside the house catches fire. Not the first time I've heard it. I can hear the slight roar and some popping of the expansion of pipe. Which it will expand as I just started it. Shut the stove down the best you can with this thing and dribble some water on the wood. Calmed right down and now seems fine. My question is it kinda normal to burn out small amounts of creosote. I'm sure it is but is it burning hard enough you know it? No sparks or anything outside. 

bitternut

If you hear a slight roar that is quite normal when first starting a fire in a cold stove. A chimney fire sounds like a freight train. :o  I would not dribble water on the fire if I suspected a chimney fire. The proper action would be to close off any air source to the stove and check out the situation. I tap my metal pipe quite often with my metal stove poker. You should hear a metallic ding when tapping the pipe. If you don't and instead  hear a thud you need to clean your chimney. :(

The secret is to burn small hot fires often to keep the pipe clean. A large load of wood throttled back to burn slowly is what accumulates creosote in the chimney. Every stove installation is different. There is a learning curve to every stove install. Remember that the key reaction to a suspected chimney fire is to close off the air supply.

Thank You Sponsors!