iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farm auto body

Started by Don P, October 03, 2022, 09:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

My wife left to go shopping yesterday and returned 10 minutes later with a long face. She got her buck early.

I forgot to get a before, but he got the light, fender, grill and hood. Luckily the subframe isn't too bad. Lots of moving the truck around to pull from with a come-along and massaging it with a trim hammer and chunks of scrap steel for dollys. Not concourse ready but by the end of the day the new fender would hang on it.

So on a Sunday, where does one find a Honda fender. Under the pines of course, we have 3 of these, this one is the donor, notice the missing tranny. Happily the fender is not very rusty, very light in the trim holes which will come out, and the hood is fine, it only had a light doe bump  :D. A new headlight assembly is on the way, the one on the old car was cracked and frosted. I hope I don't regret not buying a matching pair.

Off to sand and prep panels and buy paint. Which leads to my question. I want to hit both sides of the panels. Am I looking at a pint or a quart?

newoodguy78

Trim hammer, 8or 10 pound variety? :D
Personally I'd get a quart. My luck I'd be about three squirts short with a pint. 

Don P

It's beer cans, a 16 oz hammer was a heavy hitter with a little pull going on  :D.
I fear that would be my luck with a pint. I know a quart is way over but some blue lawn furniture might be nice  ;D

Tom King

I'd spray the inside of it with truck bed liner.

Southside

You used to own the Maaco shop in Petersburg didn't you Don?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

$59.95, no ups, no extras  :D.
It's only been like a month and my sanding blocks and squeegees are somewhere safe  ::)

kantuckid

No liner in the fender, use an epoxy primer. Then if there's no inner liner maybe later while its clean from the paint job. I'd never use AB paints to paint the inside of a fenders other than edges-NOT at todays paint prices!!! Beside the epoxy primer is far more durable underneath to begin with. 
If you have not bought a premium AB paint lately, you will choke. many mixers in smaller towns have got away from mixing and no longer keep the equipment. Most a bigger town thing now. That color just might be bought on Ebay or Amazon cheaper from the guys in California. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Don P

I got paint mixed in town yesterday. I decided to try acrylic enamel, mainly I "think" that's what I'll use on equipment.. Yup, I can make it orange peel too  :D. I just started a sand and try again, better head in to work and make some sort of showing. I think the fender is good enough. Glad I got the quart and the underside of the hood might be white, poor folks have poor ways, that's how we roll ;D.  
Her inner fender was damaged but the one off the donor is fine. Both bumpers have met a deer but I think the one on the donor is better.

firefighter ontheside

I'll call you if I have an accident with my "farm" truck.  I got liability only insurance on it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

We had three great sons, twins and the oldest barely 2 years younger, all driving on liability insurance at our house.  Our kids were not a problem whatsoever, as they were great, responsible drivers, the public, not so much, to say the least. 
 Part of my deep distrust, hatred, bad attitude towards insurance comes from that experience, throw in my wife & I's for the rest of what I'll admit is a purely negative regard for insurance companies and some, not all of their workers. 
The stories are instructive for all the repairs I made that should have been on someone else's dime & time.
I'm currently trying to assist my SIL with a roof hail damage claim with an Allstate guy in TX having decided her claim is to be handled differently than his company's treatment for several adjoining homes in her subdivision they (supposedly) cover. Shes a single senior and feels very much thats she's getting the shaft based on neighborly shared info..  
One thing about a deer hit, there's no human to lie about who did it. 
I had a kid back 25 yrs ago who'd helped me some on projects. He managed to massage his fender and was afraid to go home with it damaged and comes to my house. It was a pu fender hit like Dons sort of, and I had my shop full so we hooked it too a tree with clamps and I had him back up until it was clearing the tire at lock to lock. Thats farm AB at it's pine tree best. That tree still has chain marks around the base in front of my shop. 
No rain in sight, paint outdoors is an OK choice? 

Don P

That's the plan  :D. I sanded the hood when I got home yesterday. I need to hit it a little more then shoot a coat outside before I go in when the sun warms up a little more. There is no room inside and I can't see what I'm doing... or that is the latest excuse  :).

Funny, in white I couldn't see it, but in blue this hood is hail damaged, which matches the rest of the blue car  ::).

Don P

Oh well, so much for spraying outside in Fall. I shot the first pass this morning, waited 10 minutes and was about done on the second when a good breeze came through, and uh, fall was in the air ::). Ah well, its old and a similar shade of blue. The panels seem to be bolting up so far.

And then it happened. The donor and the blue car are 3 years apart. Tucked behind the fender cover is a plastic "air box" for lack of a better term. That's it in the bottom of the pic. It is a dead ended box that is T'ed in the fresh air intake. For whatever reason they changed it and the subframe slightly in those years. I'll have to stare at it and decide what to modify or whether to hunt. Do any of you know it's purpose? It is upstream of the engine air filter box. 

The headlight assembly arrived today, not bad, I ordered it Sunday night.

bigblockyeti

If it's just a dead end box or chamber, it's for intake resonance attenuation and may also help to dampen the air stream pulses into the throttle body.  This would help with power and torque but very, very little so if it were removed, it might be down .3hp and a teeny tiny bit noisier under just the right conditions.

Don P

Thanks! That's the big words I was thinking of  ;D. I suspect the resonant attenuation is better at this end than the other :D. I think it'll be easier to make some steel brackets that hold everything body-wise that box had hooked to it. I can only imagine whatever bright young engineer changed that dang near useless box must have been real popular that week at the plant, why do they do that.

I just got the grill trims back on. The moment of truth will be getting the headlight back in it, that looked to be ground zero. I think the unit was about $70

A tailight on a new ranger, all those nice sensors and all. One piece unit, even just a cracked lens.. ~$1500

I think I want to go backwards in time car wise.

nativewolf

Wow, that's just theft it seems to me.

Neat project Don, thanks for sharing.  Interesting you don't just do houses, logging equipment, farm equipment, sawmills, engineering...but you fix deer damage
Liking Walnut

Don P

I think I'll have to stick to dumb cars for some time. There's some time in it but only about $200 so far.

The dimmer the roads get, the more hats you wear  :). Now if she hadn't been flustered at bagging her limit out of season we could have swapped between banging dents and butchering in the backyard  :D. 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Don P on October 05, 2022, 08:13:35 PMDo any of you know it's purpose? It is upstream of the engine air filter box.
Isn't that where the chipmunks are supposed to build their nests? ;)  My A/C on my Tundra wasn't putting out well and the fan sounded funny.  It was full of shredded cedar bark and a plastic bag.  From sitting 3 or 4 days at my cabin project.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

kantuckid

Quote from: Don P on October 05, 2022, 09:36:53 PM
Thanks! That's the big words I was thinking of  ;D. I suspect the resonant attenuation is better at this end than the other :D. I think it'll be easier to make some steel brackets that hold everything body-wise that box had hooked to it. I can only imagine whatever bright young engineer changed that dang near useless box must have been real popular that week at the plant, why do they do that.

I just got the grill trims back on. The moment of truth will be getting the headlight back in it, that looked to be ground zero. I think the unit was about $70

A tailight on a new ranger, all those nice sensors and all. One piece unit, even just a cracked lens.. ~$1500

I think I want to go backwards in time car wise.
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market or ebay. Ebays full of insurance takeoff parts with minor damage. HL's, taillights, bumper covers, etc. etc. etc.

kantuckid

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 05, 2022, 11:18:01 PM
Quote from: Don P on October 05, 2022, 08:13:35 PMDo any of you know it's purpose? It is upstream of the engine air filter box.
Isn't that where the chipmunks are supposed to build their nests? ;)  My A/C on my Tundra wasn't putting out well and the fan sounded funny.  It was full of shredded cedar bark and a plastic bag.  From sitting 3 or 4 days at my cabin project.
I owned 4 Tundras and it took them some years to decide to make the air intake (filter access via the glovebox) less accessible to critters. The cure for my first 3 Tundras was that you had to remember to close the outside air ventilation gizmo before you parked your truck each night or expect acorns and feces in your cabin filter intake. 

Don P

All we lack is finishing. Another day or so of tedious bolts, new bulbs and hope the wires are ok, but it'll go back to work next week. After multiple attempts at squirreling the headlight in I finally watched a you tube and there was a bolt hiding, ahh, the seas parted and it dropped in. It is a bit behind where it should be but closer than I thought we would get the old buggy. I could take it apart and pull a little more , maybe next time  :D. I think she has driven close to a million miles on those 3 cars.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: kantuckid on October 06, 2022, 08:04:21 AM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 05, 2022, 11:18:01 PM
Isn't that where the chipmunks are supposed to build their nests? ;)  My A/C on my Tundra wasn't putting out well and the fan sounded funny.  It was full of shredded cedar bark and a plastic bag.  From sitting 3 or 4 days at my cabin project.
I owned 4 Tundras and it took them some years to decide to make the air intake (filter access via the glovebox) less accessible to critters. The cure for my first 3 Tundras was that you had to remember to close the outside air ventilation gizmo before you parked your truck each night or expect acorns and feces in your cabin filter intake.
So I watched some YouTube videos and had at it.  Pulled the glove box out to get to the air filter but there was nothing back there!  My truck is different. So I pulled off the wiper arms and took the "grill" that is at the bottom of the windshield off.  Found three openings in the body work (for access to the wiper motor) and screwed on some heavy screening.  I can't figure out where they were finding access because these three were already blocked by the plastic grill.  There are no other holes through the firewall that I could find and I'm just assuming that these openings is where fresh air gets in to the system. ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GRANITEstateMP

ljohnsaw,

If I remember correctly, the Tundra's didn't get cabin (fresh air) filters til the redesign in 2007?

The techs would use window screen type wire mesh and make an external basket where air enters the engine air filter, and another at the base of the window for the fresh air.  kantuckid is correct, closing off the fresh air damper to recirculate every night helps a ton too

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Don P

I'll have to try the recirc air on this before shutting down. To get to the cabin air filter it takes a lot of dash and center pillar removal, there was some heavy duty thinking ::). She came home several years ago and said the fan sounded funny. I failed to mention to her why but he didn't keep up with the hamster wheel when she switched it to high  :D.

Just went for the maiden voyage, down to close the high tunnel for the night.

kantuckid

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on October 07, 2022, 02:39:48 PM
ljohnsaw,

If I remember correctly, the Tundra's didn't get cabin (fresh air) filters til the redesign in 2007?

The techs would use window screen type wire mesh and make an external basket where air enters the engine air filter, and another at the base of the window for the fresh air.  kantuckid is correct, closing off the fresh air damper to recirculate every night helps a ton too
I bought a new 2000(1st year), 2003, 2005 and 2010 new Tundra and all had cabin air filters.The issue was that critters had access when the outside air switch was in the position to allow outside air AND critters. A air filter with chipmunk turds and rodent debris isn't real user friendly.  My 2005 was the better of the lot overall. I never had an issue worth mentioning with Tundra, just made a switch to Ford and find it to be a keeper in this MSRP vehicle pricing world we live in. Mine will outlast me I think. Tires and batteries and brakes are my only costs other than lubrication. 

kantuckid

Don, I hope Murphy's law doesn't kick in on yer new shiny car. Seems every time I got ambitious and fixed a nick it got something else. One lady who wowrked with my wife hit a der most every year, got her a nickname too. 

Don P

I've been driving the truck that isn't really put back together yet and there isn't a vehicle here without a deer hit on it. Everything has been rode hard and put up wet, the chevy could run for president :D, they aren't worth real auto body. I just keep pulling and patching till the wheels fall off.

These Honda's are pretty light and there is room for batteries in the hatchback floor... if a wrecked tesla happened by we'd have a sleeper  :D

Tom King

Sometimes you just can't win with hitting deer.

With the last truck I had, I saw a yearling run across the road on my way in to the house.  I knew there would be another one behind it, so I came to a complete stop.

The following one ran smack straight into the middle of the front of the truck, and broke the grill, with the truck sitting still in the road, but it was dark and the headlights were on.

One of the times that Pam hit a deer with the now Farm Use WRX, I went out to clean it the next day, and the completely intact liver was inside one of the rear wheels on the inside of the wheel.

The Daughter of a friend of ours must have the record.  I don't know what the number is, but her Mother had to go pick her up one night.  It was Halloween.   When she got there, the front of the Civic was completely caved it.  It had just been fixed from hitting the last deer.  That night is still heard about years later because when the Mother got there to pick up the Daughter, Daughter was sitting on the fender of the car, with legs crossed smoking a cigarette, dressed in a Really Nice Bee costume.

GRANITEstateMP

kentuckid,

I just checked my quick reference chart from my days working at the Toyota dealer. Cabin filters weren't standard in Tundra's until 2007 (87139-YZZ08), when they did the redesign. There is a chance if your first gen trucks came from one of the "Southern States" dealers that they did add an ac/cabin filter
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

21incher

I call that a nice Earl Scheib repair  8). 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

kantuckid

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on October 08, 2022, 07:09:14 PM
kentuckid,

I just checked my quick reference chart from my days working at the Toyota dealer. Cabin filters weren't standard in Tundra's until 2007 (87139-YZZ08), when they did the redesign. There is a chance if your first gen trucks came from one of the "Southern States" dealers that they did add an ac/cabin filter
OK, maybe it wasn't a filter but I do remember cleaning out chipmunk crud to get any cabin air flow. The flow got blocked enough to make ya angry. Was a common complaint too. 
 My trucks all came from the IN plant through dealers in OH, MO, NC and IN in that sequence. I never owned one of those weird Tundras that the guy put together down south- they often had unusual wheels and other stuff he sourced dating from an old Toyo distribution contract. My oldest son has a 2012 now and a TX built Tundra with like 175k on the ODO. 
No V-8's from Tundra now. I'm old a V-8 guy. 

Southside

You think hitting a deer is bad, try a moose. Having a Holstein with a lift kit and horns land on top of the roof of your vehicle because the hood took out his legs will really put a cramp in your style. 

Not the worst I ever saw, but a guy on the interstate hit one at night, split it in two and all the innards (300 lbs) went through the windshield and splattered the driver and entire white, leather, interior of the Caddy he was driving.

Just like in the cartoons there was an outline of where the driver had been sitting that remained white. He stood there mumbling "what was that?" over and over. Other than needed multiple showers he didn't get hurt, but it was hard not to laugh. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Otis1

Deer is the main reason I have a heavy duty bumper/ grill guard on my F-150. It's a Steelcraft so it's not one of the most expensive ones. Even with how much it cost, it is fairly cheap insurance that will keep you on the road. Last winter a woman in a plastic SUV hit my truck and it was still drivable because of the bumper. I hit a deer earlier this summer and you wouldn't even know it. Also, it keeps me going to work and not waiting for the truck to be fixed. A couple weeks ago, I hit a grouse and a piece of probably breast meat landed on my hood completely skinned and plucked. 

Don P

On the manifold it probably would be about done by the time you got to work  :D

I was going down the road one day, Mike's dad was approaching from the other direction just as a turkey dropped out of a tree and dive bombed my windshield. It then proceeded to roll across the windshield across the road and took out Mike's Dad's windshield as we were both sliding to a halt. I walked back to check on him and it was the same thing "What was That!". I told him it was a turkey, and what had happened. He then asked where it was. I had him back off of it, picked it up, and kind of shook it down. "Well, throw it in the back". Once we decided he was ok he and dinner headed to town for a new windshield :D. 

Otis1

It smelled like cooking chicken even on the hood. 

Once when I lived in CO we were driving on some gravel roads and I told my friend John that back in Wisco we would "hunt" grouse by driving gravel roads and try to get them with the front differential of the truck (if they were in the road). He called BS and not 5 minutes later a grouse appeared. We cooked it over a nice campfire that night. They aren't the brightest birds, I once caught one with my gloved hands on a jobsite hiding in our ladders. 

Otis1

I should add that the reason we would try to get them with the diff is because that way it just bonks their head and doesn't mess up the meat at all. 

Southside

Had been out deer hunting on a warm afternoon years back and brought a shotgun instead of a rifle in case a few "patridge" (grouse) showed up. Didn't see a thing all day. On the way back to camp we rounded a corner and there was a bird on the shoulder of the road, private road so legal. I slipped out of the truck, grabbed by shotgun, reached into my pocket and loaded a round. It was close so I aimed high so not to get too many pellets into the meat. 

Gun goes off, the bird instantly flattens out backwards leaving the breast and wings in one spot, the feet and entrails, a bit further away and it's head even further. My buddy is dying laughing in the truck asking how I pulled that off. The answer was clear when I ejected the spent slug shell and not a birdshot shell. Whoops.... Best part was it didn't hurt the meat at all and it was on the fire pretty shortly after. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Jim_Rogers

Well, speaking of hitting a wild turkey.
I was driving down a country road and saw a state trooper pull out behind me.
I was watching him in the rear-view mirror, and not the road in front of me.
A group/flock of wild turkeys walked out in front of me.
Sure enough, I hit one.
It when flying over me and hit the state trooper's car, right on the windshield.
Lights flashing, I pulled over.
He asked me for license and registration.
I asked if I was going to get a ticket.
He said: "yes".
I said what for.
He said: "for flipping me the bird!" :D

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

kantuckid

On two wheels a turkey will do you in. My former insurance agent got killed on two wheels when he hit a buzzard that flew up from a roadkill. 

Don P

Well, I got home today to a wife in need of running to the docs. The knee she had repaired blew up, huge and locked. We hopped in the honda and rolled hard 2 hrs to the docs, then the er and finally just got home and yup about 4 or 5 miles from the house, I missed him but woke the wife up rocking, a black bear. That woulda buffed the fender good  :D.

The docs were mystified, they went to pull fluid off her knee and it was full of blood, but no infection. They won't listen but I think it is something from lyme getting into the new joint.

kantuckid

I sure hope she doesn't have an infection. To my knowledge thats the solo big issue for most knee work. 

Thank You Sponsors!