iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lighting up my workshop

Started by Quebecnewf, February 03, 2008, 02:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

I am planning a 26x32 woodworking shop with cathederal ceiling .What type of lights would you suggest and how would you hang them.

Pics would be great

by the way 10 ft walls on this shed

Quebecnewf

sawdust

How warm are you planning to keep your shop? I like flourescents they are cheap to run but flicker if they are cool.

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Quebecnewf

shop will be kept warm but my main problem with this type of light is the look they will have hanging down from the roof. but i guess i will have to live with that. i guess they would look better if i use conduit pipe instead of just wire

Quebecnewf

sawdust

Screw the fixtures right to the inside surface of the ceiling. Use full spectrum tubes, much nicer light.
Those fixtures are cheap enough now days you can use more so there is no shadow. Those light tubes that are the modern version of skylights are really nice, real pricey too.

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Thehardway

You can get cold weather ballasts for Flourescent lights that will not flicker when cold. 

"High bay" lighting would also work well.  It is designed to project downward from higher mounting positions.  They are often used in the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot.  Also used in gymnasiums etc.  You can often get them from salvage companies.  Will take a picture or two and post.

I would consider skylights to help out with the electric bill and color rendering. 

Ceiling fans with light kit can be installed on a extended rod from the ceiling and will help with air circualtion as well as lighting

Have seen some neat installs using rigid conduit  or threaded pipe to extend downward as well.

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Jim_Rogers

I only have two photos of barns that have had electric lights added.
Both shots are of pendant style lites hanging down from ceiling boards:

Wiring up these lights was done above the boards.

Others have cut grooves into the top of beams for the wires and some have just added them above the beam and just bored a through hole for the wire to pass through for suspending fans or light/fan combos....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Quebecnewf

Those pics are just the type of ceiling i will be dealing with. I will have to hang the lights in the same fashion . I don't know if the lights in the pics are the type i would want but were on the right path. i like the idea of a fan and light any pics of that out there.

ik know there are a type of light that you see on big box stores but i would guess that the price is way up there.

i have been also considering skylights like i have in my mill shed as they give great natural light and i could have sliding hatches to cover them in the winter months when heat loss would be a problem

so many options to think about

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!