iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trailer bearing issues

Started by sbishop, October 22, 2009, 09:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

"Bang it in flush" that might be an issue. "Pressing" might be a better verb to use, and for that matter practicing it as well.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

IMERC

Quote from: sbishop on October 25, 2009, 06:28:58 PM
yes a caslte nut and coter key

looks like i'm not putting my seal on right...it looks like it's suppose to be tapped flush with the back of the hub, not any further...think that is my problem?

try pressing the seal in....

also....
are you using the correct bearings???
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

olyman

Quote from: rebocardo on October 23, 2009, 11:04:39 PM
Are your axles bowed? Your 3500# axles should have a slight upward bow (or straight) unloaded and then once loaded should be straight. If you are very good with a tape measure, jack up the trailer, take the wheels off, and measure the axle flanges left to right on the top and then the axle flanges on the bottom. Helps if a second person holds the tape. Now load it and look at the difference and measure again.

If the top and bottom do not match or the top is less then the bottom, you have a problem.

when i first started to read this post, this was the first thing i thought of.

sbishop

I think i finally figured it out, I don't think i was tighten up the nut enough.

This is how i did it tonight, tell me if this sounds right!

Pack the inner bearing, place inner bearing in cone, tap seal lightly until flush with back of hub.

Install hub, then packed outer bearing, then washer, the nut.

Tighten nut while turning until i can't turn any more (binding). back nut off then tighten by hand.

With the wheel on, i've got a small play in the wheel and i mean very small.

If this sounds right...THANKS EVERYONE for your help!

Sbishop

PS...now i've got another problem, how do i remove all this grease on my keyboard?  :D

IMERC

might not be tight enough..... by a schosh...

nas

Quote from: sbishop on October 26, 2009, 08:38:14 PM

PS...now i've got another problem, how do i remove all this grease on my keyboard?  :D
Pressure washer ;D
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

scsmith42

I think i finally figured it out, I don't think i was tighten up the nut enough.

This is how i did it tonight, tell me if this sounds right!

Pack the inner bearing, place inner bearing in cone, tap seal lightly until flush with back of hub.

Install hub, then packed outer bearing, then washer, the nut.

Tighten nut while turning until i can't turn any more (binding). back nut off then tighten by hand.

With the wheel on, i've got a small play in the wheel and i mean very small.

If this sounds right...THANKS EVERYONE for your help!

Sbishop

Sounds like you've got it figured out.  Personally I like to grease all of the bearings at the same time, and lay a clean rag over them until I install them in the races.  That helps to keep my hands cleaner during assembly. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

IMERC

Quote from: nas on October 26, 2009, 09:24:01 PM

Pressure washer ;D

why bother...
it'll be coffee/beer resistant and shouldn't squeak...

Tom

I usually put the nut on and tighten it until the wheel drags.  Then I loosen it (usually a  eight  turn) until I can get the key into the hole. the wheel should turn freely.  I don't like any wobble.

D._Frederick

Did you change tire rims? The tire should  be centered over the spindle, the out side bearing should not be carrying most of the load.

Thank You Sponsors!