iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Ducks ??

Started by Magicman, January 11, 2014, 10:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I wonder if I am the only one seeing very few Woodies this year.  My ponds usually have flocks of 20+ but this year I am only seeing 4-6 at the most.  The weather is not that much different, but I did have fewer acorns this year.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It may be the weather. I'm just guessing.....all the rains we had in the Spring has affected every thing else so far.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DonT

The wood ducks in our swamp stayed well into November,right up until  things froze over.They usually leave about our Thanksgiving(mid oct) so maybe they have just not made it south yet.

sandhills

Until last January we lived right by town so my disclaimer is that I was missing a lot then.  We now have a dam a few hundred feet from the house, surrounded by trees and I saw more wood ducks this fall than I have in a long time passing through.  We had a pair of mallards that were here all summer and raised some little ones but didn't see the wood ducks until they started coming through in about November.

Magicman

I saw a few more this past weekend.  Maybe as others have mentioned, they were just later getting here.  They are a beautiful bird.

I took this a few years ago.  It is one of my favorite pictures. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

~Ron

thecfarm

Quote from: Magicman on January 21, 2014, 08:50:19 AM
I took this a few years ago.  It is one of my favorite pictures.

And I can see why.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Sadly I never did get a duck hunt in this year.  No roast duck for us.   :-\

coxy

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 08, 2014, 07:58:40 PM
Do you eat them? :D
duck duck  yuck :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

drobertson

If you do, can't go wrong with the stuffed duck breast wrapped in bacon on the grill,  (those two in the picture would be hard to shoot for me)    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on February 09, 2014, 10:23:47 AM
If you do, can't go wrong with the stuffed duck breast wrapped in bacon on the grill,  (those two in the picture would be hard to shoot for me)    david

Does that mean you only shoot ugly ones?  :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

chain

This reminds me I need to build a few wood-duck nesting boxes. Ice storms, wind, beavers, floods have taken out most all our nest boxes.

Amazing thing about those ducks is they like to nest in large hollow trees. When the ducklings hatch they climb out and tumble  to the ground, sometimes forty feet or more. What a wake-up call to the world!

drobertson

Peter, I kinda deserved that one, but no, just meant the ones that might be homies,  I reckon the only ugly duck I've seen is one of those sea ducks, now them things are ugly,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on February 09, 2014, 04:10:04 PM
Peter, I kinda deserved that one, but no, just meant the ones that might be homies,  I reckon the only ugly duck I've seen is one of those sea ducks, now them things are ugly,   david

NO you don't , I was just wiseing  off a little  :D I have never eaten it. I'm sure it's good if made right . :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

pineywoods

There ain't much meat on a wood duck (we call them squealers here). But it does make some fine gumbo..I usually have a few pair in my stock ponds, but none so far this year.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Since Wood Ducks are mostly grain, etc eaters (acorns, etc.) they taste the best to me.  Duck gumbo is some fine eating, but Pat makes some very good roast duck.   :)

DonT

Can someone explain what gumbo is..  Thank you

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Quote from: DonT on February 09, 2014, 10:02:42 PM
Can someone explain what gumbo is..  Thank you

Gumbo is mostly a southern thing, but I'll defer to the Magic man to explain. He is closely associated with one of the best gumbo chefs in the country.  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

I'll have to search for some recipes. 

Ianab

Gumbo is basically what you get if you put a Frenchman, a West African and a Native American together and tell them to cook a stew  :D

Can be meat, poultry or seafood, with veges like onion, celery and peppers. Usually thickened with Okra, and chilli and garlic as optional extras.

Served on Rice.

It's good stuff  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

terry f

Chain, it is amazing that they know to jump out of the tree, and the other 99.9% of birds know not to. Mother Nature is a wonderful thing.

Magicman

Quote from: DonT on February 09, 2014, 10:02:42 PMCan someone explain what gumbo is..  Thank you 
There is a LINK to Pat's Christmas Gumbo.   food6

Thank You Sponsors!