iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trading hunting or fishing trips

Started by Thehardway, February 05, 2014, 02:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehardway

Hey,  was wondering if some of you folks might be interested in trading lodging for hunting and fishing trips.  Basic concept is this:  for fishing, you tell what lakes or streams you live on or frequent and are capable of providing lodging for, as well as what species are regularly caught.  Some pictures would be helpful as well as what seasons and times you are open to. 

For hunting it would be much the same, location, number of acres available to hunt, trap, etc. and what species are commonly available.  Also any preferences you might have.  In return other FF members can offer a trade.

For instance, I live on Leesville Lake in Virginia.  We have a private boat ramp and day dock available.  Species available are Large and Smallmouth bass, yellow perch, Walleye and Striped Bass, as well as panfish, catfish and carp.  I am a short distance from Smith Mountain Lake (on the Bassmasters pro tour) and the Staunton River. Staunton River is really hot for big stripers in the spring during the spawn.  I have a 17' tracker deep V with 40hp motor.  For those who have canoes or kayaks, Leesville and Staunton are excellent fisheries for canoeing.
A day trip can be made to the James River for trophy Blue Cats over 100lbs.  Kerr Reservoir is about 1hr away which is a large lake in VA/NC with striped bass and largemouth as well as crappie and catfish.  Smith River is about 1hr away for trophy brown trout.
I am interested in trading for lodging near Erie, PA where I like to go Steelhead, Smallmouth and Walleye fishing.  I would also be interested in doing some fishing for sea run brook trout, Northern Pike, Musky, or Lake trout in the north eastern portion of North America (ME, NS, NB, ON, NL, PE QC).   I would consider caribou hunting and bear hunting.  I prefer a smoke and alchohol free environment and would expect the same for guests.

We have good turkey and deer hunting available as well.  Duck and goose hunting are possible although it is nothing like eastern shore or the gulf.  20 min to local upland bird hunting preserve.   For those who are not killers and just enjoy a peaceful country getaway and lots of wildlife and siteseeing we have plenty of that.  Eagles are seen fairly regular and the lake is very peaceful and serene.  No noise of traffic. Very few jet ski's or the like. There are three regional airports within 1hr.  Danville, Roanoke, and Lynchburg.   

The idea here is not to compete with professional guided services but more to provide a relaxed and affordable way to gain exposure to other hunting and fishing opportunities. 

No one would be expected to guarantee any degree of success, just to do there best to make guests comfortable and provide opportunity in exchange for the same.  I am sure there would be plenty of good story telling and food as well.  Does this concept interest interest any one?

Forgot, would also love the opportunity to fish for sailfish.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

DDDfarmer

If you want bears come on up I can show you where they are   ;D  Lots of bears around the area. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

beenthere

Wisconsin increased their bear permits for 2014 by 21%.
The DNR said their will be 10,340 permits issued to meet the new quota of 4,700 bear taken.

Just some additional info..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thehardway

Quote from: pappy19 on February 06, 2014, 12:03:53 PM
For how many people?

Number of people should be negotiated for each outing offered.

In my case, i would be seeking lodging for no more than 2 people.  I can provide lodging for 2 people starting this summer or could provide camping area for larger groups.

What is involved in Ontario Bear hunting as far as non-resident hunting, getting firearms in and out etc?  In VA just about all bear hunting is done with dogs.  I know in the northeast a lot of bear hunting is done over bait stations.  What do you do in Ontario?

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

DDDfarmer

Just googled a search about entering Canada with a firearm  http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

Looks easy, I know its done all the time.  Try to sneak anything in and its found.... you lose it and get turned around.    Lot of people use a bait station for bears but the purist will only hunt bears around grain fields. They say that bears that go to the bait are garbage bears and the meat taste different  ::)  Don't know never ate bear meat. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

pappy19

I don't have a problem with bait stations as it eliminates most all of the female bears with cubs. If you see a bear 100 yeards away and she has little cubs you can not see, you will likely shoot the bear. Afterwards you will feel real bad when you see the little cubs and no mama. Hunting with dogs is some better since usually a mama bear will run her cubs up a tree and she follows soon after. The wacko's tried to ban bait hunting for bears here in Idaho a few years ago, but when it was proven to be most beneficial to a mama bear and cubs, they backed off. If you want to chase a bear and feel for balls, then go for it.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

coxy

Quote from: DDDfarmer on February 07, 2014, 12:58:18 PM
Just googled a search about entering Canada with a firearm  http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

Looks easy, I know its done all the time.  Try to sneak anything in and its found.... you lose it and get turned around.    Lot of people use a bait station for bears but the purist will only hunt bears around grain fields. They say that bears that go to the bait are garbage bears and the meat taste different  ::)  Don't know never ate bear meat.
bear meat is nasty jmop shoot every last one they are a pain   cub got in my hen house a few years back could not get out and momma made a spot for it ripped the t1-11 of and a couple 2x4  was not smart enough to go out the way it came in   it got 6 hens in the mean time

pabst79

I would be more than willing to guide a forum member or 2 on a bear hunt in Wisconsin in zone C, in trade for some good duck hunting anywhere? We have some big bears in Wisconsin, I posted a pic of a bear my wife harvested in 2010, it weighed 558lbs. The hunt would be over bait as I don't have hounds. Takes about 5 years to draw in zone C. If interested let me know.   Josh
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

terry f

That is a huge bear, good job to your wife. How many were passed up waiting for him.

pabst79

She got him the 1st night out! Had around 8 other bear working the site. I have been bear hunting my whole life and have never had a chance at a boar like that, beginners luck I guess. :) We have a full mount of him, I'll try and post at some point.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Thank You Sponsors!