iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mcculloch Pro mac 700

Started by Stefcarse, February 01, 2021, 04:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefcarse

Does somenone know what's the max RPM on this beast ? Thanks.

Al_Smith

Depends on what want to do with it .I'll just say if you do some exhaust work and increase the timing advance a little bit they can get right up there .I don't advise getting too carried away though .That's a pretty good old saw there don't kill it .
I've got an earlier right hand start 70 cc version ,a mac 6-10 not to be confused with a PM 610 I only use for cutting over cants at the picnic races .It's been tweaked but if I used it for a work saw I know it would not last long .

Tacotodd

Just use prudent judgment for it so that it lasts for you. 10k is a fairly good round # for a place to start and not damage stuff. After that; go slow and take it easy. Those are getting harder and harder to find.
Trying harder everyday.

fossil

Quote from: Stefcarse on February 01, 2021, 04:04:20 PM
Does somenone know what's the max RPM on this beast ? Thanks.
Tim

Stefcarse

Real1shepherd

zimraphail

I dont know max RPM. But want to share the pro mac 700 i just picked up. It was a homeowner saw in Hayward Wis.  Service tag on the saw resharpened etc  was dated 2012. attached to handle so saw hadnt been run. After a good cleaning and check, I fueled her up pumps oil runs like a song. This saw looks almost brand new! 75.00 for some reason unable to upload photos

Al_Smith

All in all they are a pretty good saw but you have to keep up with maintenance .The air filtration is not the best for one ,plus they have a tendency to pack chips under the cylinder .This will cause the lack of air flow from the fan to overheat the ignition coil  and they will fail . However most times once they cool down they will restart .
They will put out the bar oil using an impulse type pump plus they have this handy gadget called a thump oiler .It's not uncommon with a higher hour example for the pumps to wear out allowing some bar oil into the crankcase which will cause them to smoke on a start up .That goes away in about a minute after a cold start .If I'm not mistaken this model was still in the line up when McCulloch circled the drain in I think '98 .
Much ado about RPM's .These things have the horizontal cylinder torque .They won't rev up like a more modern saw but at the end of the day will buck just as much firewood as those 6-700-800  dollar European saws in various colors of orange .For 75 bucks  it's a pretty good deal IMO .

Thank You Sponsors!