iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 880 order canceled!!!

Started by offrink, March 02, 2021, 08:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

offrink

I've had a Stihl MS 880 on order now for over a month. I check with the dealer every week to week and a half. I stop in and just shoot the sh.... stuff. When they checked yesterday I was told that all existing 880 orders will be shipped as MS 881's. I've read about how the 881 is more of a fuel miser and it being more efficient and better oil pump and better air filter but to me it seems that less fuel used, typically in a chainsaw, the less power you have. So my question is has anyone actually used both and are able to do an actual side by side comparison or tell me any real life differences? 

Also am I getting hosed on the price? Not sure if I paid more and getting a cheaper saw. I can't find any prices in the USA. 

Greenhighlander

This is the price of an 881 here in Canada to give you a rough idea.   I can't answer any of your other questions though .

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/Chain-Saws-and-Pole-Pruners/Gas-Chain-Saws-for-Forestry/2122436-130/MS-881.aspx  

offrink

Thanks for the link. Looks like I'm getting hosed on the price. I will have to bring it up with the dealer. Need to get the saw first though.

Seems like no one can actually tell me what I want to know. Any comparison has been unfair one way or the other. 

Old saw fixer

Sounds normal for Stihl.  No one knows!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

ehp

I know a guy with a 880 , I cannot tell you on how good a 881 really is cause I have not seen one here , some of the dealers here still have 880 on their shelves

sawguy21

If you don't mind what are yoy paying in U.S. dollars? Based on the current exchange rate you should be at least 25% lower than the prices shown.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

offrink

I don't remember exactly but it was a hair under $2k for a 36" bar and chain. 

snobdds

That's in the ball park.

At least the 881 still has an adjustable carb on it. 

offrink

I hope to have some aftermarket tuning. Would love to be able to keep the fuel efficiency but still have a little more (who doesn't want more power?). I know. Can't have it both ways. 

offrink

Still waiting. This is getting pretty ridiculous. The saw is in production and being sold in Europe yet they won't send a single saw to North America. Shouldn't sell and take the money from someone for a saw they can't produce in a reasonable time. 3+ months is beyond reasonable. 

ehp

I know a dealer here with 1 sitting on the floor , they are out there 

offrink

An 880 or an 881? I'm am suppose to be the first in North America to get a production 881. That is according to the US Stihl distributor and my dealer. Where is your dealer at? 

Real1shepherd

Quote from: offrink on March 02, 2021, 08:55:17 AM
I’ve had a Stihl MS 880 on order now for over a month. I check with the dealer every week to week and a half. I stop in and just shoot the sh.... stuff. When they checked yesterday I was told that all existing 880 orders will be shipped as MS 881’s. I’ve read about how the 881 is more of a fuel miser and it being more efficient and better oil pump and better air filter but to me it seems that less fuel used, typically in a chainsaw, the less power you have. So my question is has anyone actually used both and are able to do an actual side by side comparison or tell me any real life differences?

Also am I getting hosed on the price? Not sure if I paid more and getting a cheaper saw. I can’t find any prices in the USA.
This was discussed here in another thread.....the pros and cons of both by people that used/owned both. I don't remember the name of the thread, sorry. Not a Squeal fanboy....don't retain that info.

Kevin

ehp

881, dealers here have them but nothing else 

ehp

and the price is not bad on them either 

ehp

another thing you will find is never believe your number 1 on getting anything , I'm number 1 on the list to get a MS 400, well they are back ordered but I already have a 400 from another dealer so make sense with that 

sawguy21

I was in the local Stihl shop today, they are short on the larger saws as well. Chain loops are also in short supply, they are maaking them up as needed but it is time consuming when they are busy.

Spike60

Did you already pay for this saw? Given the current situation being so uncertain, it's sensless for any dealer to take money on something with no idea of when it will show up. I have customers that offer to put money on 395's and 3120's, but I won't take it. Doesn't make the saws get here any faster, and really only encourages more "check up calls". And some guys feel a small deposit locks them in and they can take a month or more to show uo and buy the saw. I get it, things change when something is on backorder for 2-3 months. I keep a list and call everyone when they come in, but there's no need for money to change hands til the saws get here. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

ehp

im in Ontario so Canada , Spike I know a guy here that tried to sell me a 3120 with 42 inch bar with 2 ripping chains 2 days ago, Saw was started but never cut wood , Not sure what a 3120 cost down there but the price was pretty good but I donot need a 3120

offrink

Quote from: Spike60 on April 23, 2021, 07:14:45 AM
Did you already pay for this saw? Given the current situation being so uncertain, it's sensless for any dealer to take money on something with no idea of when it will show up. I have customers that offer to put money on 395's and 3120's, but I won't take it. Doesn't make the saws get here any faster, and really only encourages more "check up calls". And some guys feel a small deposit locks them in and they can take a month or more to show uo and buy the saw. I get it, things change when something is on backorder for 2-3 months. I keep a list and call everyone when they come in, but there's no need for money to change hands til the saws get here.
Yes. Saw is paid for. It was when there were suppose to be 880's. It was many weeks after I ordered and paid before they, when I checked in to see how the process was going, they informed me that it has been switched to an 881. 

Tacotodd

So, @offrink why do you NEED it to be the 880 instead of 881? I don't know Stihl stuff, but I'd think that it's something to do with the emissions, but it's not going to be the first time I've been wrong either. It's not Midtronic, so what's the problem? I mean, really....?
Trying harder everyday.

offrink

No I don't need an 880 compared to an 881. I just need a powerhead. Either one. Stihl won't provide either. I wouldn't have put my neck/name on the line if I couldn't provide the service knowingly. The guy is waiting to build an addition on his house because this big log is in the way. This would have to be cut on site because we don't have anything to lift the 15-18 tons of log to get it onto a semi trailer and then get it off. Just doing a little venting. 

ehp

how big is it , is it standing or laying on the ground , a saw like a 395 running 3/8's chain will cut a very big tree , 

Spike60

Dealer should by now have offered to return whatever money you put down on the saw. He definitely wouldn't have been billed for anything that hasn't shipped.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Ianab

Quote from: Spike60 on April 24, 2021, 06:19:20 AM
Dealer should by now have offered to return whatever money you put down on the saw. He definitely wouldn't have been billed for anything that hasn't shipped.
Dealer should certainly refund the money if they can't supply in an acceptable time. But that leaves the OP with no saw, and at the end of any other back-order list. 
Supply of all sorts of things are messed up at the moment. Not just chainsaws. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Greenhighlander

When I bought my 395 last year the guy wanted me to pay for it up front .  I told him not a chance . He then asked for half as a deposit . Then 1/4 .  I said no I am not giving you anything until I see the saw . Within 3 weeks he called and told me my saw was in and I happily went and bought it .  
The way this particular dealer is I knew giving him money up front would actually only delay my getting the saw. What would his hurry be once he had his money?   

Anyway good luck to the OP on getting yourself a saw .

sawguy21

You can't blame him, if you don't come back he is out of pocket with a product he may not be able to move. We learned the hard way. If you are a long time customer then it's different, if he doesn't trust you it's time to find another dealer.

Greenhighlander

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 24, 2021, 11:34:59 AM
You can't blame him, if you don't come back he is out of pocket with a product he may not be able to move. We learned the hard way. If you are a long time customer then it's different, if he doesn't trust you it's time to find another dealer.
I agree with your point . I just don't pay for things that aren't in my hand . However he has his supply set up is his problem , not mine.  
The problem is he is absolutely the kind of person who would take my money and I still not have the saw 6 months or more later and would have endless excuses for why the saw isn't there and why he couldn't refund me my money.  He has proven this many times which is why I no longer buy anything there .  I am all for supporting local but he has made me happy to order stuff online.  

Spike60

The deposit thing can go both ways. If it's an item the dealer doesn't normally stock, then asking for money up front is not out of line. In part that depends on how well you know the customer. Sometimes you know the guy well enough that you don't think twice about it. Then there are guys you know ell enough that you absolutely get money up front because they are FOS.

But any deposit should have an agreed on expiration date. In the case of the OP, it's wrong to hold his money this long. If that saw hasn't shipped, the dealer hasn't laid out a cent for it. On the other hand, a deposit will only hold something for so long. Had a guy put $1000 down to hold an Exmatk Lazer, (my last), while he got the rest of the money. Told him I'd hold it for a week. If he couldn't come up with the money, I'd of course give him back his full deposit, but the machine goes back on the line. (he's picking it up today:)  )
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

offrink

Another call in and they are getting a shipment in, just not my saw. Still hasn't shipped from Europe. I told them to either call the distributor and get me a date, give me his number and I will, or refund my money and I'll go someplace else. I get all my chains their and any repairs get done through there. They know me, my kids, and my dog by name. 

Spike60

"Some place else" better have the saw in stock, or you'll be in the same boat. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

offrink

I have family in Europe. I could even have them buy and ship one. 

offrink

Finally got my saw in! Went to pick it up and the bar was lost in the mail. Box made it but no bar. 36" and up bars are back ordered 1+ month out. At least I can put it to use on the sawmill. 

Walnut Beast

If anybody knows what are the main differences between the 880 and 881 ?  How does the 880 run with a 48" ?. Is there a noticeable difference or night and day between a 880 vs 661 with same bar and chain ? Looking at getting a 880 that's available 

sawguy21

There is an ad on fb for new MS880'S for $99.95!! HUH ???  :D Quantities are limited, I guess so.
EDIT They are MS881's and the ads appear to be originating in England. 

lxskllr

I'll buy a pallet of them for that price!

doc henderson

It took me a while to gain respect and love for my 880.  It is growing on me.  it is gaining steam with breaking in.  I got a 660 and took it back in trade for the 880.  I had lots of trouble with starting warm (impossible at times) with the 660.  I think I made a thread on my 880 early on.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Thanks for the information Doc 👍

doc henderson

880 with a 60-inch bar, cutting a 4-foot oak crosscut, ripping a 4-foot maple, and finally a little ERC.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Awesome Doc! Do you have any other bar sizes you like on the big dog

doc henderson

36 is the smallest bar for the 880.  my next saw is the 046 mag.  it has a 20 I never use, a 25 that is my fav. and a 36 I got before I had the 880.  it was my all around saw for 20 years, till I started thinking I needed more.   8).  

I am happy with the 880 now, and I think the original disappointment was from high expectations, and pre-break in.

the big bar has some quirks.  if you are trying to fall a tree with it (holding parallel to the ground), the bar can flex enough that if the tension on the chain is not enough, it can drop out of the groove. If the bar is contacting 4 feet of wood, you make gentle changes in pressure to not stall the saw, and or rock the bar to decrease the wood in contact with the bar.  I also have a skip chain to keep the rpms up.  I think it is still gaining power.   Not a bad idea if you have a lot to cut, to plan it so the weight of the saw and bar work to your advantage, and or have a few macho helpers that want to run the saw so you can tag team.  

doc henderson

Walnut Beast

Nice to know! The one I've got my name on has a 48" bar on it. I've got a couple huskys a 55 and a 371 and I think the 880 with that bar and a little smaller one would be pretty handy for the bigger stuff. 

Skeans1

If I'm running my 60 the fat belly cannon in the brush I'm packing two saws normally something with a 36 as well to start the cut. There's two 88 killers that Echo is something else on the mill running long bar it actually oils long bar a lot better with more power/torque available. 

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Are those Cannon bars worh the extra cost over the regular bars ?

Skeans1

Quote from: Walnut Beast on January 01, 2022, 08:01:05 PM
Are those Cannon bars worh the extra cost over the regular bars ?
Oh yes if you're falling timber they're a lot more stable in the cut as well as the design changes how the cutters engage the wood.

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Doc how is the starting and idling on your 880

doc henderson

not bad.  it idles fine after 20 seconds of warm up.  it has the compression release.  get a good grip, as if it catches and pulls the handle through you finger it hurts.  It is what you would expect from a bigger saw, and after a small bit of time with it, you will do great.  It is good to really get your foot on the bottom of the rear handle, and L hand on the front handle.  give a "smart" pull.  It has mass with a long bar.  and is front heavy, so I try to find a spot to be sure the bar does not get in the dirt.  I do not always engage the chain break on starting.  I think anyone named @Walnut Beast will do fine.   :)

hedgerow

When I sold my Solo big saw because it had no compression release and after a couple shoulder surgery's it was a no go to start. I looked at a 880 a dealer had a guy bought took home ran one time a brought back in and traded. It was too much saw for me and my crew. I ended up buying a very clean low hour 660 and normally a 36 inch bar will cut the biggest trees we ever do. Some day I will probably run into a big cotton wood and I will wish I would have bought the 880.

Thank You Sponsors!