iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

50 years old got some ground with alot of trees....

Started by rodbutler, October 27, 2015, 07:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodbutler

Yes Magic I still got my DayJob.lol. IM from Kentucky. My stand consists of about mostly 30 to 36" white,and Red oak,Poplar. I have probably 200 Red cedar about 30". And several pecan cherry maple beech. Most are hard to get to but still possible to get out.THat is probably a low estimate but wanted to give you some idea of what is there. I'm wondering if I could make enough from cutting and sawing them myself that I could pay for a tractor and a band sawmill. Been kicking this idea around for about a couple years now. I've always been in construction and farming my whole life and know what hard work is, but just wonder if the market for white oak, red oak, cedar etc., is strong enough to buy the equipment. I don't want to get rich just want to do what I like to do. Maybe build me a house from some of it.

Magicman

Adding your location to your profile always helps with questions.

I hope that you have and keep your day job.  A startup business without any customer base or sawing experience takes some time to develop.  Also, selling green fresh sawn lumber will also limit your market.  To dry you need a shed and a kiln.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

rodbutler,I have no idea the market of your timber. But my Father and me brought a tractor from the wood we cut. Than he passed away and many years went by. I had it logged 3 times by someone else and I could of brought 3 more tractors and than some. I did not give much thought about sawing and drying lumber. Yes,many do that. If I would of done that I could of brought 6 tractors.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerBrown

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Kingmt

Value wise if you have the money to front it & good timber passably. Hard to say what a measurement of "alot" is. Size & shape matter as well along with if it is solid inside.

Me personally tho. I can't sale anything. I couldn't sale dollar bills for a quarter a piece.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Kingmt on October 28, 2015, 08:25:25 AM
Me personally tho. I can't sake anything. II couldn't sale dollar bills for a quarter a piece.
I'll take you up on that offer!!   ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Kingmt

Quote from: SawyerBrown on October 28, 2015, 10:00:02 AM
Me personally tho. I can't sake anything. II couldn't sale dollar bills for a quarter a piece.
I'll take you up on that offer!!   ;D

I happen to have one for sale right now. Would you like to come pick it up or would you like to pay shipping? We ship USPS small flat rate shipping. 😁
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Value wise if you have the money to front it & good timber passably. Hard to say what a measurement of "alot" is. Size & shape matter as well along with if it is solid inside.

Me personally tho. I can't sale anything. I couldn't sale dollar bills for a quarter a piece.

I'll take a wheelbarrow load of those dollar bills at a quarter a piece.  Just push that barrow down here to Panama City and I'll take all you have to sell.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Herb

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!