iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

air compressor

Started by coxy, April 06, 2018, 08:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

i found a 3304di cat motor that only has 500h on it its a cat reman  but the guy told me the oil line going to the compressor broke and before he got the motor shut off it locked up could it be a possibility that only the compressor locked up and not the motor i don't want to pull the compressor off in front of him and then have the motor turn over this making him want more money for it  whats every ones thoughts on this 

mike_belben

If the engine sump was also oiling the compressor, then the engine oil was leaving in a hurry.  

When you say compressor you mean like a tow behind jackhammer air supply, or you mean an air brake compressor for a truck?  3304 pretty small for a truck i guess.
Praise The Lord

coxy

air compressor just like a truck the cat skidder has air brakes and yes the line comes out of the block to compressor 

Maine logger88

I've seen it on a 3406E the guy thought his engine seized up he was quite happy to find out he only needed to buy a compressor lol! I'm not saying that's what happened there in this case the oil line didn't break. I'd be worried about how much motor oil was lost 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mike_belben

Alright then yeah i expect the compressor head would lock up fast.  There is usually no sump in an air brake compressor.  The crank is drilled for pressure lube and bottom is just drainback to the timing case.  Plus the oil line is like a -4 or so, thats gonna be 1/8" npt fittings.  Its decapitation for the compressor and a flesh wound for the engine.  At idle the compressor lockup would probably stall the motor if its a double sheave. 
Praise The Lord

mills

A lot of oil in a CAT engine. Take a little bit to run it low. Expensive gamble though.

Thank You Sponsors!